Work in Progress Pokémon Defiance

Any idea about RPG maker's arm and linux applications? I'm not very familiar with it. Personally I would love to see this converted to work on an arm processor. Specifically because of home-built game systems using computer's like the Raspberry Pi. I think creating a port package for the RasPi OS Retropie after development could give a very satisfying feel to the game, specifically because the controls and system can so closely mimic the feel of things like the GBA.

edit: I found a page about RPG maker and retropie here: https://github.com/zerojay/RetroPie-Extra/wiki/EasyRPG-Player

I'll be sure to use it

Also, on a different note, are you planning on incorporating key remaps or even native controller support? This could also enhance the feel of this project in my opinion and would be a feature i would almost exclusively use.

I wish you the best of luck on further progress, I'll be sure to checkup for updates.

Last edited:

Makattack202

Edge Lord
Any idea about RPG maker's arm and linux applications? I'm not very familiar with it. Personally I would love to see this converted to work on an arm processor. Specifically because of home-built game systems using computer's like the Raspberry Pi. I think creating a port package for the RasPi OS Retropie after development could give a very satisfying feel to the game, specifically because the controls and system can so closely mimic the feel of things like the GBA.

edit: I found a page about RPG maker and retropie here: https://github.com/zerojay/RetroPie-Extra/wiki/EasyRPG-Player

I'll be sure to use it

Also, on a different note, are you planning on incorporating key remaps or even native controller support? This could also enhance the feel of this project in my opinion and would be a feature i would almost exclusively use.

I wish you the best of luck on further progress, I'll be sure to checkup for updates.
I'm not sure on RPG Maker's compatibility with Linux and such. I'm not much a scripter at all.
...Also, skimming through that page it doesn't say anything about RPG Maker XP, which is the version that Pokemon Essentials uses.

As it turns out, key rebinding actually can be added, because I didn't realize there was a preexisting script on it. Oops.
Controller support is something I'm less sure of. Maybe something that binds controller inputs to keys could work, but its not a priority at all.

I'm not sure on RPG Maker's compatibility with Linux and such. I'm not much a scripter at all.
...Also, skimming through that page it doesn't say anything about RPG Maker XP, which is the version that Pokemon Essentials uses.

As it turns out, key rebinding actually can be added, because I didn't realize there was a preexisting script on it. Oops.
Controller support is something I'm less sure of. Maybe something that binds controller inputs to keys could work, but its not a priority at all.
I'll be sure to do some linux and arm testing once anything even close to a demo is available, RPG Maker seems to have quite the community so I'm sure i can work something out. Best of luck with development.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life

i will definitely be using said script in my fan game, i'm much more comfortable with a controller in my hands than down on a keyboard. :P

Makattack202

Edge Lord
I haven't actually given any concrete information in a while, but hey: I've finally gotten some things.

Unfortunately, I found a gamebreaking bug in my most recent build that prevented new games from being started. There is no telling how long this bug has existed, since I had done most of my testing on one save.
But don't worry, all is not lost. I've ended up porting all of my work to Pokemon Essentials 17.1, which gives the game a few more nice touches and helps to smoothen some things.

That being said, a few of the scripts the game uses aren't compatible yet, most notably the Following Pokémon script, so until the script is updated to the latest version, Followers won't be present.

But bad news is overrated, I'm here to announce some nice new things.
For starters: the starters. Originally, the three starters were Natu, Poochyena, and Shroomish. Weird choices, yeah. Even in the context of the story I'll admit they didn't fit very well. Here's where things change though.

These three Hoenn variants are known as Naukan Forms, and will serve as the new starters for Pokémon Defiance. From a story standpoint, these three fit more better, and even tie into a few other plans I'll show off later down the line.

"But what about Deltas?! They're super similar to these, right?!" you're probably saying. I'd be inclined to agree, frankly. The only thing that would make Naukan forms different is their appearance, which makes Delta Pokémon feel less valuable overall.
But Deltas are receiving a massive overhaul. They aren't just some recolored alternate form you get from doing side content. Now they're more along the lines of shiny Pokémon.

Yup. Previously, there were only a set of around 100ish Delta Pokemon, but now? Every single Pokemon has a Delta form, and there is always a small chance for them to appear in the wild.

I'm sure some of you are disappointed. "My luck is really bad. I never find shinies, let alone Deltas..." to which I respond: same. So the appearance rate of shinies and Deltas have been boosted (they're actually equal), and I'm introducing a special challenge mode to possibly be chosen at the beginning of the game.
Now, I'm sure you're aware of the Randomizer mode, but what about the Delta-fier mode? Yup. That's right: in Delta-fier mode, every single Pokémon appears in its Delta form. Sounds fun, right?

I probably shouldn't be hyping anyone up much because I have no idea when this game will be anywhere near playable. But hey, it'll pop out one day, right?

Last edited:

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
i'm perfectly fine with Hype, as long as the game doesn't get dropped entirely. :P

that being said Deltafier mode sounds cool, might run my first playthrough in Delta mode, just to see ahead of time what the differences are overall for each delta, then choose which i'd want to hunt for my normal playthrough, since boxes can only hold so many Pokemon.

and honestly as much of a Pokemaniac as i am, i would eagerly hunt every regular, shiny and delta pokemon, if overall storage space wasnt limited.

Makattack202

Edge Lord
speaking of, you got any ideas about what music you plan to use? Like a mix of a bunch of previous soundtracks or maybe even working with a chiptune artist to make an ost? this is all of course for late development I suppose but I'm interested in what you will choose.
Originally I was just going to do previous soundtracks but at this point I may end up trying to recruit a composer. Not sure how well it will turn out, and its not a huge priority right now.