Work in Progress Pokémon Unity 2D

mej71

Novice
Pokémon Unity 2D is a framework I'm currently working on using the Unity engine. The intention is to provide a modern, user friendly kit in which to make fangames.
Source code will be moved to github upon first release.
Main goals of the engine:
  • Cross-platform
  • Customizability (easy to create and manage custom tools and editors within the program)
  • Improved performance by using a modern engine (RMXP is a very old engine, and struggles with some aspects of performance even with default Essentials)
  • Documentation (starting from scratch, this gives the ability to document everything used)
Trello: https://trello.com/b/zqvm5MDJ/pokemon-unity-2d-todo
Screenshots
Item Bag

Imported Maps/Game Objects

Metadata effects (day/night shading, map to the right flagged as indoors)

Working Events

Pause Menu + Party Screen

Moves defined in XML files (GUI editor will be created later)
Note: This kit will never charge money, nor will it allow anyone to make money while using it

Credits:
GUI graphics from Pokémon HGSS, adapted for Pokémon Essentials by Maruno
Code by mej71

Last edited:

Lunos

Uruguayan Random User
I didn't expect to find this. I'm quite interested in seeing the progress of this engine considering how good does for example, Pokémon Unity perform.
I bookmarked this thread to keep up with the news, good luck mej! :heart:

Yotes

GameDev
Oh man, this idea rocks. If you combine this sort of tool with everything else the Unity Asset store can provide, we could have a renaissance of fan games on our hands!

For now, I'm having to build a custom Pokemon-like engine from scratch with Unity's tools and things. 3 years deep into it and still not done :laughing:

Good luck with that kit!

Mewleon

The Nyoomster
I'm excited to see the development of this and knowing that unity can do so much, excited to make some fangames with this!

FlamingKeldeo81

A Sword of Justice
I'm actually interested in trying this Unity engine out! I'm terrible with coding, but I hope that this engine will be easier than RPG Maker, and I'm glad that its gonna be free.
I plan on making a few fan-games with this engine when you release it! :grinning: