• Having trouble receiving email verification when signing up? Contact an administrator via our Discord server!
  • Consider joining our Discord server if you haven't already! Discord is a free voice and text chat platform that's more or less a combination of Skype and Teamspeak. Using Discord, you can chat with other Relic Castle members in real-time! Wowza! Click here for the details!

Dev Kit Pokémon Unity 2D

mej71

Novice
Pokémon Unity 2D is a framework I'm currently working on using the Unity engine. The intention is to provide a modern, user friendly kit in which to make fangames.
Source code will be moved to github upon first release.
Main goals of the engine:
  • Cross-platform
  • Customizability (easy to create and manage custom tools and editors within the program)
  • Improved performance by using a modern engine (RMXP is a very old engine, and struggles with some aspects of performance even with default Essentials)
  • Documentation (starting from scratch, this gives the ability to document everything used)
Trello: https://trello.com/b/zqvm5MDJ/pokemon-unity-2d-todo
Screenshots
Item Bag

Imported Maps/Game Objects

Metadata effects (day/night shading, map to the right flagged as indoors)

Working Events

Pause Menu + Party Screen

Moves defined in XML files (GUI editor will be created later)
Note: This kit will never charge money, nor will it allow anyone to make money while using it

Credits:
GUI graphics from Pokémon HGSS, adapted for Pokémon Essentials by Maruno
Code by mej71

Last edited:

Lunos

Uruguayan Random User
I didn't expect to find this. I'm quite interested in seeing the progress of this engine considering how good does for example, Pokémon Unity perform.
I bookmarked this thread to keep up with the news, good luck mej! :heart:

Yotes

GameDev
Oh man, this idea rocks. If you combine this sort of tool with everything else the Unity Asset store can provide, we could have a renaissance of fan games on our hands!

For now, I'm having to build a custom Pokemon-like engine from scratch with Unity's tools and things. 3 years deep into it and still not done :laughing:

Good luck with that kit!

Mewleon

The Nyoomster
I'm excited to see the development of this and knowing that unity can do so much, excited to make some fangames with this!

FlamingKeldeo81

A Sword of Justice
I'm actually interested in trying this Unity engine out! I'm terrible with coding, but I hope that this engine will be easier than RPG Maker, and I'm glad that its gonna be free.
I plan on making a few fan-games with this engine when you release it! :grinning:

mej71

Novice
Started working on it again with a reignited vigor. I've got a bunch of ideas for how I want the workflow to go, which was one of my major holdups before. Also moving to a newer version of Unity and embracing its built in tile map system. It's actually pretty nice, and I think not using multiple outside programs is a plus (was using Tiled + Tile2Unity before)
New workflow plan for moves/abilities/items/etc: XML is still used, but it's really more of an external file so you can copy/paste multiple new moves from other resources, the primary way to edit will be my customized editors.
Considering 2D is pretty light on resources, I think the best approach is using a single Scene in Unity apart from the main menu. In testing so far, adding more maps to the main scene adds negligible memory usage. This also lets me have a more intuitive usage of events, since honestly I was pretty unsure how to have a working internal database of them across scenes in the first place.

LyonSyonII

Rookie
mej71, I'm currently creating a project like this, and I'm very interested on how you managed to implement the moves system, because it is the thing i'm struggling the most with.

mej71

Novice
mej71, I'm currently creating a project like this, and I'm very interested on how you managed to implement the moves system, because it is the thing i'm struggling the most with.
Like the player physically moving or how moves work in battle? If the former I can show you my current code, if the latter it's not quite complete yet but it is going to be quite complex with the huge variety of moves so I'll have to get back to you on that.