Creative The Great Relic Castle Fake Off

Kimothy

Novice
tumblr_ooxkvqcA7w1qlwq3ao3_r1_1280.png

(yes I am shameless and I watch great british bake off leave me alone)

Hello, and welcome to the Great Relic Castle Fake Off, the biweekly challenge where you design Pokemon.

How it works is simple - every other Thursday, I will randomly pick a prompt from a numbered list, and post it here. Some prompts are more vague, while others specify specific animals or objects. You then have until the next prompt goes up (two weeks) to design a Fakemon based around the prompt! Be creative, do some sideways thinking. If you want to do a full evolutionary line, go ahead! Stats, abilities, moves, Pokedex entries? Go nuts. There are no winners and no prizes, this is just for fun and to help you practice your art skills and designing Fakemon, as well as sharing ideas and receiving critique!

First up, a few rules.

1. Entries may be submitted in any form - digital art, traditional art, pixel art are all fair game.
  2. Unless the prompt specifies otherwise, NO Mega Evolutions or Regional Variants! Don't worry, I have plenty of prompts allowing those in the list.
  3. Please don't just submit Fakemon you've already designed, that's no fun!
  4. You are free to use the Fakemon you design in whatever way you like - use it in a fangame, put it up for public use, leave it in the abyss, whatever you feel like! However, do NOT use other people's Fakemon designs without permission unless they have explicitly stated anyone can use it.
  5. There will be no prompts during periods where any Fakeathon events are on. I would highly encourage you to take part in those instead if you're up for a real challenge!
Have ideas for prompts? Feel free to DM me here, and if it isn't already in, I can add it to the list! (The actual prompt list will only have 100 on it at a time, but once a prompt is used it will be replaced. Please don't send any prompts regarding unused typings, they're all already in there.)

So, without further ado, our first theme is...

SHADOW
You have until 21st September 2017 to complete this prompt, best of luck trainers!

Pixel Profligate

Lazy Artist
Ayy, guess I'll be the first to post for this!

So, shadow. That was certainly an interesting first theme, but it was a lot of fun to do, and I'm honestly really proud of what I made for it. They, uhh...they don't have names yet. B-but I do have reasons for the evolutions, and even types! So, first up...

Ev4ggyt.png

Ground/Normal

So, this little bab is a groundhog. And it is...well, it's scared of its' own shadow. It thinks that it's some kind of predator, so it keeps its' eyes closed out of fear. But, once it reaches level 26, it'll open its' eyes, and if it sees its' shadow (i.e. when the sun is out during the day), it evolves into...

SLZjc4i.png

Ground/Dark

...this. This is the daytime evolution. When it sees its' shadow, it goes feral out of fear of it, and starts attacking things around it. But, if the first stage were to evolve at night, and doesn't see its' shadow when it opens its' eyes, it becomes...

RG2jtTX.png

Ground/Fighting

...this. When they evolve into this at night, they can't see their shadow. So they feel brave, and become a sort of protector for the first stage, protecting them from predators who would take advantage of their lack of sight.

I had a lot of fun with this, and I look forward to seeing what everyone else makes!

Rhyden

Shuckle Kheen
One of the first things I thought of when I read "Shadow" was a hippo. Why? Because they dive in deep water and sometimes the only thing you can see is their silhouette. So I made a little Ice hippo and a bigger Ice "hippo." He kinda ended up looking like an alligator but I think that's OK considering a fish can evolve into an octopus.

The first stage is Ice while the second stage is Ice / Water.
It evolves with either a Water Stone or by leveling up while holding a Water Gem, I haven't really decided on that yet.
The baby isn't fully capable of swimming so he doesn't have the Water typing.
Ganldkm.png
Alternitavely, here's their shiny colors. I feel like they match the alligator aspect of the second stage pretty well.
R2lBFWd.png
Ability:
Thick Fat / Strong Jaws
Hidden Ability:
Analytic

By Level Up:
1 Bubble
1 Tail Whip
4 Powder Snow
5 Mist
7 Stockpile
10 Bite
12 Spit Up
12 Swallow
14 Hail
17 Yawn
20 Dive
21 Defog
23 Ice Fang
26 Crunch
28 Bulk Up
30 Rest
32 Avalanche
35 Shadow Sneak
37 Slack Off
39 Icicle Crash
42 Liquidation
45 Blizzard
46 Ice Shard
48 High Horsepower
52 Sheer Cold

By Tutor:
Thunder Fang
Body Slam
Icicle Spear
Drill Run (Evo Only)
Guillotine
Steam Eruption

1st Stage
HP 70
Attack 75
Defense 70
Sp. Attack 35
Sp. Defense 65
Speed 55
2nd Stage
HP 120
Attack 110
Defense 105
Sp. Attack 45
Sp. Defense 85
Speed 35

I don't have names for either of these but that's alright since I kind of want them to be known as "the fat hippo things."

Last edited:

MadDeodorant

Insert internet reference here
Hi, y'all.
This is my entry for the first Fake Off (might want to rethink the name, sounds like f*ck off). When I read abouth the theme of SHADOW, I was kinda worried. I had no ideas and the ones I had were basic and mediocre. However, I went researching into the meaning of shadows in various mythologies and cultures. I came across several meanings across the world and one thing that drove my idea forward and that all mythologies had in common was this: shadows represent our souls after death. Though, I loved many different interpretations of shadows and couldn't decide which one to choose. So, I killed two birds with one stone: different forms depending on location, with each form corresponding to a mythology.
Well without further ado, here's my entry!

The first one is Reflith, a pure Ghost type. It's based on the incarnation of the moon (represents shadows) in astrology which is a Lilith. Its head is the shape of a quarter moon and it features a small star, representing one's spirit. Both these two shapes (the moon and the star), along with the coloration, are present in its evolution. It also has a sort of red scarf on it replacing a Lilith's wings. The name Reflith is a result of Reflection (shadows are a reflection of one's soul) and Lilith, of course.

Asreaper (North) is a Ghost/Steel type. Based on Norse mythology the North form of this Pokémon is based on dead horses, but mostly on the Wild Hunt (some of you might know them from the Witcher series), a legion of dead knights that traveled the sky collecting souls on earth. They are usually depicted with an association to skulls and chains, being prisoners of their condition as harvesters of souls, which explain these features in Asreaper North.

Asreaper (East) is a Ghost/Fighting type. It's based on Oni, demons in Japanese mythology. These are usually red or blue and have wild fur, claws, a couple of horns and carry an iron club. Areaper's mask is based on the traditional Oni masks. It's the most aggresive form of Asreaper.

Asreaper (South) is a Ghost/Dark type, based on Egyptian mythology, but mostly on the classic representation of the Grim Reaper. It's bladed staff is a mix of a traditional egyptian staff and the reaper's classic scythe. It's coloration is mostly based on Egypt's tones of gold and dark blue, but its dark red cloak is inspired by Specter Knight from Yacht Club's series Shovel Knight.

Finally, Asreaper (West) is a Ghost/Ground type, based on a jackal and coyote from native american mythology. In this mythology, the latter animal is associated with the moon. It's the simplest of the forms of Asreaper, but it still has the moon and star shapes in its design. It also has some red and white fur on its chest, similar to the feathers on indians' headresses. The coloration (red, white and blue) also is a reference to the United States' traditional colors.

Asreaper's name is a combination of Asriel, the name of the angel of death, and Reaper.

I hope you enjoyed my entry! Best of luck to everyone participating!
MadDeodorant

Lorekitten

Rookie
So, it took me some time to think of just what I wanted to make for this Fake-Off. What's the best type of shadow to use? Well, I thought about it a while, and I decided to make a Fakemon based off one of the largest shadows humanity has ever seen: the shadows on the surface of the Moon.

Heerie, the Shadow Pokemon.

relic_castle_fake_off__heerie_by_eurekatrollcat-dbne0q8.png

Classification: Shadow Pokemon
Type: Fairy/Electric
Dex entry: It never fights directly. Instead, it lights up the front of its body and manipulates its shadow to fight for it. Touching its shadow can drain the life force from its foes.
Inspiration: Shadow puppets; the "Moon Rabbit" shadows on the craters of the moon
Name inspiration: "Hare" and "eerie"

When considering what elemental type this creature could be, Ghost/Normal was briefly considered, as was Ghost/Fairy. Ghost/Fairy was ultimately scrapped for being way too similar to Mimikyu, and Ghost-type was nixed because the creature itself isn't a ghost; it's a living, breathing Pokemon that just so happens to be able to manipulate its own shadow. In the end, Fairy/Electric won out, with a very different take on the regional electric rat. By lighting up its body, Heerie creates a shadow puppet to manipulate to fight its battles.

ChePixel

Fakemon Enthusiast
Heyo, I'm new around here, and I'd just like to say that I love the idea of a weekly "Fake Off'. I also like how it gives everyone a chance to show their work and give their creations meaning and a backstory. Anyways this sounds fun and I look forward to participating in more of these.

So first of all, when I think of a shadow, I think of dark places, but in order for shadows to be present there has to be a light source. So why not have my fakemon live in a forest? Forests have lots of shadows because the trees block out some of the light with their leaves, and most forests can be pretty ominous in general.

So here's my design(s) :
77GEM8n.png

Flandit ("Flan + Bandit") Grass / Dark

The Innocence Pokemon

"Flandit are very shy creatures, they often use their leaf cloaks to blend in with their surroundings and disguise themselves as shrubbery. While often in fear of other living beings, they are always intrigued with items that you wouldn't necessarily find in their environment, be it an Amulet Coin or a Poke Doll. Therefore they often collect things and even steal when the owner of the item is not aware or appears to not be much of a threat to the Flandit itself. When threatened, they try as much as possible to run away. But if they are forced to fight back, they aim to take the high ground, like climbing up a tree and striking from above. If it is not possible to gain an advantage, it will protect itself with status inflicting moves like Stun Spore, or even Confuse Ray.
A common folktale related to Flandit describes it as the spirit of a lost soul of a youth who passed away deep in the forest. This might be related to why it is so intrigued with unique objects and toys, and how it acts very innocent. Notable moves include Leafage, Stun Spore, and Camouflage."
dU6PMhV.jpg

??? (Evolution of Flandit) Grass / Dark

The Guardian Pokemon

"When Flandit evolve into (no name yet), they grow a longer cloak and body, but gain a stronger sense of bravery as well. They become noble warriors that protect the young Flandit and fetch food and intriguing objects for them. Each (no name yet) are responsible for a group of Flandit and will even sacrifice their life to guard each and every one of them. Their preferred attack style is by surprise, including striking from behind or lowering their guard by blinding or paralyzing them. Notable moves include Seed Bomb, Night Slash, and various status inflicting moves."

Last edited:

Kimothy

Novice
Some really great designs guys, love them all! :D Alrighty, might as well get my entry in!

tumblr_ooxkvqcA7w1qlwq3ao5_r1_1280.png

So, this lil guy doesn't have a name, but he's based on the concept of shadow hand puppets! No-one's quite sure whether its dummy-like body or whether the shadowy hands contain the true brains, but it has been known to communicate to humans using its hands to make symbols. Some have even been taught to learn human sign language! I can imagine it being Ghost/Physic type and able to learn a range of moves including Force Palm, Wake-Up Slap, Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch, and various punching moves.

tumblr_ooxkvqcA7w1qlwq3ao6_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ooxkvqcA7w1qlwq3ao7_r1_1280.jpg

Okay, so unfortunately, I'm out till late tomorrow, so I'm going to post this week's prompt a little early! Don't worry, entries for SHADOW are still welcome until the 21st! However, I've had a few comments on Discord that two weeks is a biiiit long, so I'm going to trial run a one week challenge this time! Please let me know what length of challenge you prefer! So without further ado, this week's theme is...

JACKALOPE
Lepus_cornutus.jpg

Ah yes, the mythical Jackalope, a legendary critter featuring in tall tales from North America. Basically a rabbit with deer antlers. I'm excited to see what inspiration you guys can take from this!
You have until 28th September 2017 to complete this prompt, best of luck trainers!
On your marks...
Get set...

FAKE!

Lorekitten

Rookie
relic_castle_fake_off__jackalop_by_eurekatrollcat-dbo521g.png

Name: Jackalop
Classification: Magic Pokemon
Type: Fairy/Electric
Dex entry: When a Heerie evolves, its fur absorbs its shadow and it gains all of its shadow's powers. A popular Pokemon with magicians, it can make itself disappear at will.
Inspiration: Jackalope, magicians' rabbits

Since the prompt was "Jackalope" and my previous entry was based off the moon rabbit, I decided to make this an evolution of Heerie, which shares Heerie's typing. The name comes from "Jackalope" and "lop-ear."

Another concept I had was to have a Poison-type jackalope Pokemon, since there is a real virus called papillomatosis that causes rabbits to grow horn-like protrusions in the effected area. This is not limited to on top of their heads, but the virus will grow wherever it infects the rabbit. In the end I decided against the idea.

Last edited:

Phoenixsong

mulberry ambush
Grah. I'm still fighting with these things, so they're very much unfinished, but I'd like to get something posted before it stops being the 21st in my timezone, so eh. The OP says this is a place for feedback on these designs, right? Maybe some of y'all can help me. *punches artwork*

eclipse_panther_temp_by_phoenixsong-dbo5znn.png

Melanyan and Panumbra (Dark)

(haha, go bad cat name puns)

Melanyan is on the right, panumbra's on the left. Could've flipped them around first, I suppose, but oh well! They're based on black panthers, or rather melanistic leopards, in that said leopards totally do still have spots but they're just hard to see. Somehow that got turned into a line that starts out with normal spots that grow in size until they completely cover the body. And then also eclipses I guess because of last month? Yeah? Sure. Anyway panumbra would likely be really strong, sort of volcarona or arcanine-esque, because why not.

Unfortunately, as said above, I'm having a bear of a time nailing these designs. I don't know how to properly communicate melanyan's "growing" spots without it looking like a muddy dog, and it's very hard to come up with a panumbra design that I both like and that looks like it's related to melanyan. I do like the bottom panumbra in particular, but it looks especially hard to relate to the first stage, and it looks like it's got more of a "crescent moon" motif than it should (really what I'm going for is the sliver of sun you can see during an eclipse). Gah.

Right now the only thing I can think of is adding a middle stage to better connect the two (and to better show the spot-growth progression), which is actually what the original idea was, but I'm trying to make sure I can fit these guys in one of my fakedexes and the only one that they fit in basically can't have a three-stage dark line without bending some silly rules I set for myself. Unless I can come up with some other changes, I can only work with two stages for this. I dunno, I may cave and change something/put them somewhere else anyway, but for now I'm kinda stuck. I think I need to just set these guys aside and then come back later, honestly, haha. But any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Hematite

Cooltrainer
firecast_actions_by_divideunite-dbo60f6.png

Fire/Psychic-type

Signature Ability: Shadow Caster - The Pokémon's moves break through protection without fail.

HP - 70
Attack - 50
Defense - 50
Special Attack - 120
Special Defense - 95
Speed - 95

Firecast is known to use moves such as Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, Future Sight, Will-o-Wisp, Trick Room, Phantom Force, Spotlight, Flash and Inferno.

- The shadows cast by its mysterious flame behave erratically and unlike normal shadows. It is said that Firecast can see the future by interpreting them.

- Firecast use the color and intensity of their flames to communicate with one another. In the wild, this system is designed for only Firecast and is difficult for other species to understand, but domestic Firecast often adopt a more intuitive system for those around them, creating an effect similar to perpetual mood lighting.

- When backed into a corner, Firecast tilt their forelegs so that their spots point towards their heads, then cast a spotlight to cast intimidating shadows resembling a two-headed monster to make their attackers flinch.

I had this concept on, like, the first day, and most of the design sketched out by the first weekend... and then by some combination of school, being inconveniently sick and just outright forgetting about this, completely didn't finish it. So here is my Shadow entry, which I think is nine minutes late (OTL) but at least it's still the 21st in my time zone? XP You can tell I rushed the art because there are no lines, only enough shading to separate the flames from the markings for clarity's sake, and it's super messy all around. But I'm happy with the design, at least!

Rhyden

Shuckle Kheen
I struggled pretty hard with this one. Bipedal things aren't exactly my jam but hey, I'm only doing concept art so it doesn't have to be perfect and plus I don't even do art in the first place.

My Jackalope has split evolutions. I don't have a name for the first stage, but it's Steel / Normal type. The male evolution, Jakalord, is Steel / Dragon and the female evolution, Jakalady, is Steel / Fairy. I'd say they have fitting typings considering jackalopes themselves are based on myths.
CC3Vm60.png
And some totally rushed well thought out shinies:
D9zOusB.png
The first stage has:
Ability:
Cheek Pouch / Iron Barbs
Hidden Ability:
Fur Coat
HP 70
Attack 45
Defense 95
Sp. Attack 35
Sp. Defense 60
Speed 70
1 Horn Attack
1 Defense Curl
3 Metal Claw
7 Nuzzle
9 Baby-Doll Eyes
11 Headbutt
14 Dig
16 Agility
21 Super Fang
24 Hyper Fang
27 Stomping Tantrum
31 Meteor Mash
33 Spiky Shield
36 Horn Leech
40 Cotton Guard
43 Megahorn
46 Double-Edge
Ability: Fur Coat
Moves: Nuzzle, Super Fang, Spiky Shield, Horn Leech / Cotton Guard
Item: Eviolite / Leftovers
Analysis: Even this small little rabbit has massive wall potential with Eviolite and the ability to shred a percentage of health. While it may be 4x weak to Fighting and 2x weak to Ground, this little guy can stall out a plethora of other physical threats.
Ability:
Intimidate / Sweet Spotter
Sweet Spotter: Moves that bypass accuracy checks such as Switft and Shock Wave have their power increased by 50%
Hidden Ability:
Fluffy
HP 125
Attack 125
Defense 95
Sp. Attack 85
Sp. Defense 90
Speed 35
1 Outrage
1 Ice Punch
1 Thunder Punch
1 Horn Attack
1 Defense Curl
1 Metal Claw
1 Nuzzle
3 Swift
7 Dragon Rage
12 Nasty Plot
16 Autotomize
21 Super Fang
24 Hyper Fang
27 Magnet Bomb
29 Shock Wave
31 Meteor Mash
33 Spiky Shield
36 Horn Leech
38 Aerial Ace
40 Smart Strike
43 Megahorn
46 Double-Edge
48 Shadow Punch
51 Feint Attack
56 Earthquake
Ability: Sweet Spotter
Moves: Smart Strike, Aerial Ace, Ice Punch, Shadow Punch / Outrage
Item: Choice Band
Analysis: This thing can hit extremely hard and would do really well under a Trick Room. With its new ability, Jakalord would be hitting Smart Strikes that do 105 damage and can't be evaded. Alternatively, it can be bulky like its pre-evolution and resort to similar tools with Fluffy.
Ability:
Queenly Majesty / Sweet Spotter
Sweet Spotter: Moves that bypass accuracy checks such as Switft and Shock Wave have their power increased by 50%
Hidden Ability:
Speed Boost
HP 70
Attack 130
Defense 30
Sp. Attack 145
Sp. Defense 40
Speed 135
1 Moonblast
1 Ice Punch
1 Thunder Punch
1 Horn Attack
1 Hone Claws
1 Metal Claw
1 Nuzzle
3 Swift
7 Fairy Wind
12 Nasty Plot
16 Autotomize
21 Super Fang
24 Hyper Fang
27 Mirror Shot
29 Shock Wave
31 Meteor Mash
33 Spiky Shield
36 Horn Leech
38 Aerial Ace
40 Smart Strike
43 Megahorn
46 Flash Cannon
48 Hi Jump Kick
51 Play Rough
56 Aura Sphere
Ability: Queenly Majesty / Speed Boost
Moves: Flash Cannon, Moonblast, Nasty Plot, Hidden Power Water / Fighting
Item: Focus Sash
Analysis: Unlike the other members in its line, Jakalady is a destructive glass cannon that if used right can sweep an entire team and go unchecked in certain situations. Using a Focus Sash allows it to switch in for a revenge kill or set up with a Nasty Plot if used right. Not gonna lie, it's kind of weird to see HP Water, but that covers its only weaknesses to Fire and Ground. With its high attack stat it's prone to taking heavy confusion damage so it can be countered in that sense.

Last edited:

Kimothy

Novice
Neat designs guys! Unfortunately I'm in the middle of preparing to move, so I didn't get a chance to work on this one much.

This week's theme is...

POKEMON WITH "STANCE CHANGE" AS AN ABILITY
250px-681Aegislash.png

"Stance Change is exclusive to Aegislash. When using a damage-dealing move, Aegislash switches to its Blade Forme. When using the move King's Shield, Aegislash switches to its Shield Forme."

Ah yes, Aegislash's rather infamous signature ability! Useful for playing mind games with your opponent, this ability currently is exclusive to Aegislash. However, we know abilities have a tendency to become... not exclusive, as generations go on. What other possibilities can be explored with this ability? Feel free to get creative!
You have until 5th October 2017 to complete this prompt, best of luck trainers!

On your marks...

Get set...

FAKE!

Lorekitten

Rookie
So, the art here is pretty pathetic due to my having no idea how to shade water (not that I shaded my other two drawings either), but this was my concept.

B2jfRBo.png

Name: Squosh
Classification: Melting Pokemon
Type: Water
Dex entry: It appears perpetually upset. When spotted, it melts into a puddle to evade attack.
Inspiration: The Squonk, which is both a mythical creature that dissolves into its own tears when confronted, and a substance in chemistry with a similar state of dissolving/destabilizing when isolated.

The move Acid Armor (Liquify in Japanese) triggers its Puddle Form, while any attack move triggers its Teardrop Form. Teardrop Form has low defenses but high attack, while Puddle Form has high defenses but low attack. And by "low defenses" on Teardrop Form, let's just say that you're gonna want to use Acid Armor at least once.