Creative Pixel Art Lounge

MarcStuts08

Rookie

Image is too big to post directly but...

Here's the Fakemon for my region so far in Pixel Art form, I really hate backsprites.

The 18th Pokémon down is Calfling, a Normal Prevolution of Tauros and Miltank, Males become Tauros, Females become Miltank, the perk is you can get moves exclusive to the other counterpart via this Pokémon (Want Milk Drink on your Tauros? Raise up Calfling, want Rock Climb on Miltank? Raise up Calfling, etc).

the 19th Pokémon down is Tanglee, a Grass Prevolution of Tangela (yes it's sprite is revamped from the Spaceworld Demo).

Third from the bottom is Belletone, a Psychic Chimecho Evolution. (The red ribbons act as wings while the white ribbon flows in the breeze). It has the new ability Melodious, which boosts the power of Sound base moves by x2! (to make up from the lack of STAB on all Sound moves).

Second from the bottom is O'bscure, a Flying/Fighting Farfetch'd Evolution, based on Critical Hits, it's buffed stats combined with the Stick Item and it's new signature move Brave Cutter allow this Pokémon to crit like crazy.

Last edited:

Karpy

NinjaFish Legion!
I made Furious Destroyer in Pokemon for my game!
i will be making SuperGirlyGamer soon too!
What do you think?

Karpy

NinjaFish Legion!

Here's the Fakemon for my region so far in Pixel Art form, I really hate backsprites.

The 18th Pokémon down is Calfling, a Normal Prevolution of Tauros and Miltank, Males become Tauros, Females become Miltank, the perk is you can get moves exclusive to the other counterpart via this Pokémon (Want Milk Drink on your Tauros? Raise up Calfling, want Rock Climb on Miltank? Raise up Calfling, etc).

the 19th Pokémon down is Tanglee, a Grass Prevolution of Tangela (yes it's sprite is revamped from the Spaceworld Demo).

Third from the bottom is Belletone, a Psychic Chimecho Evolution. (The red ribbons act as wings while the white ribbon flows in the breeze). It has the new ability Melodious, which boosts the power of Sound base moves by x2! (to make up from the lack of STAB on all Sound moves).

Second from the bottom is O'bscure, a Flying/Fighting Farfetch'd Evolution, based on Critical Hits, it's buffed stats combined with the Stick Item and it's new signature move Brave Cutter allow this Pokémon to crit like crazy.
Would you mind if i use these?

Motothu

Novice
@Karpy
Your sprites mostly look fine! But, if you have not done it intentionally, you forgot to resize the sprites before editing, so some pixels are 2px*2px and others are 1px*1px. That'll probably make them look weird in-game when everything is 2px*2px. (Mr. A-Game's beard and shirt and the Furious Destroyer's Armor) Furthermore, it'd be nice if you could put such big pictures in spoilers. Thank you! :)

I have been working on a tileset lately that is made of 24 colors only. It's for a game prototype I want to include in my application for university. (So it's obviously not for others to use yet.) The game will all about nature and diversity. I hope my tileset will resemble that. Later I might post an example map to show it in use. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it! :)

Poq

Elite Trainer
@Karpy
I have been working on a tileset lately that is made of 24 colors only. It's for a game prototype I want to include in my application for university. (So it's obviously not for others to use yet.) The game will all about nature and diversity. I hope my tileset will resemble that. Later I might post an example map to show it in use. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it! :)
I really like the stylings of this tileset. It reminds me of GBC Zelda. My main critique is with the grass tiles. The shadow with the yellow pixels makes them seem more drastic and kind of sprinkle-like. But overall, I'd love to see this develop!

Motothu

Novice
I really like the stylings of this tileset. It reminds me of GBC Zelda. My main critique is with the grass tiles. The shadow with the yellow pixels makes them seem more drastic and kind of sprinkle-like. But overall, I'd love to see this develop!
I actually aimed to reproduce the style of LoZ: Minish Cap, so I'm glad it reminds you of that! Thanks for your critique :)
This morning I made a mock-up to show the tiles together. I especially would love to hear some opinions about thee houses, since it's my first time pixeling houses.

Jewelwriter

Rainbow Mage
I gotta confess...some of these sprites are impressive and makes me feel silly.

These sprites are really great! Everything looks so clean and nice. Also, back sprites can be a serious pain.

PokeMiner20

Novice

It's supposed to be a Snake Turtle. grass type starter for one of my games

Ooh, I really like the concept! I think what might be the problem is that it's not immediately apparent that its mouth is a mouth. Something about the shading makes it look more like a decoration, rather than an opening. Maybe darken the molten rock that's dripping in front of it? It might help convey that it's being lit from the lava behind it.

@boonzeet I agree with Tech. It looks great, but the shading on the mouth can play tricks on your eyes depending on how you see it first. I am not an accomplished pixel artist by any means, but what I think is happening with the shading is you need to show the light source. Here's what I mean. Google image "balrog" and you'll see how much brighter the light is in his mouth compared to some of the other flames and lava on his body because we're looking directly at a molten core in most depictions. Now Google "cave of wonders." The Cave of Wonders has a gentler glow that gets darker on its way out because the light source is located deep inside down a flight of stairs. Geodude is just a little ball, so we'd be seeing his molten core directly when its mouth is open. I think to achieve this you can make a small sliver in the middle very bright. I'd still leave the yellow fading to orange, just brighter in the middle. Additionally, I wouldn't touch the orange pixels on his bottom lip. The contrast created by the orange lower lip and the nearly white interior might give the appearance of slowly cooling rock spilling out the front of his mouth backlit by a molten core. I'd leave the eyes as is since the core is going to be basically at the back of the throat and the light should be softening by the time it reaches the eyes anyway.

boonzeet

Developer of Pokemon: Secrets of the Ages
Ooh, I really like the concept! I think what might be the problem is that it's not immediately apparent that its mouth is a mouth...
@boonzeet ... It looks great, but the shading on the mouth can play tricks on your eyes depending on how you see it first...
Thank you both for the great feedback, just hoping I've managed to use it right - here's an update with the front of the mouth darkened, and with a brighter inside of the core:

Let me know if I've not quite got what you meant!