Feedback Fakemon Feedback

Discussion in 'Creative Discussion' started by Aki, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Pixel Profligate

Pixel Profligate Lazy Artist member

Alright, second starter that I streamed the making of.

2. Tomix9tomix

Tomix9tomix Just a casual dude member

Right of the bat, they are both very cute.
    You can see the real life animals they are based off but you have changed them enough to make them a distinguished Pokemon.
    They are very adorable, and if I had to pick one to be cuter, it would have to be the left one.
    My only problem doesn't come from the graphical design but the fact that it is a starter. Typical starters two stages and a base stage.
    If this is the base stage, I can't see it having enough growing room to evolve twice, once more would make sense but I can't see it doing it twice.
    In the end it just comes down to if you are creative enough to make two evolutions without it losing what it is.
    It is very good graphically wise (and once again, it is very cute)

Pixel Profligate likes this.
  3. Taquilla

Taquilla Sandwich Master member

They look so adorable!
    are they Axoatl?
    you made it so it is a good mix of your style and gen 5 ish, it's prefect!
    I just think maybe telling us which one is the none shiny might help.

Pixel Profligate likes this.
  4. SirAquakip

SirAquakip Novice member

What's the inspiration behind it other than Axolotl? Right now I'm getting some Mermaid vibes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A few things: when designing a starter, you should look at all the other starters and make sure that there isn't too much overlap with body shape/eyes/mouth (anything really). The silhouettes should be able to stand on their own and the animal basis should be pretty recognizable to that of a child. Starters are simple and to the point. Cute and easy to pick up.

This guy hits those pretty well, but I think you could work on just a few things.

I'm sure the tendrils on its head wouldn't be suspended in the air like that when it's on land. They look like they would drag on the ground. I would maybe make them shorter and plumper because they don't seem like they could stand on their own.

The mermaid tail seems a little bland and just like your normal shark/dolphin tail.

Lastly, the mouth and feet give me major Squirtle vibes. I wonder if there is something a little more interesting you could do with them? If not, they aren't a big deal.

I think this guy has a lot of potential to be really cute! (and it already is pretty cute as it is)

5. Pixel Profligate

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! There are a few things I want to clear up with their designs, though.

It's actually based on a squid, which might help explain some things you had a problem with.

The tendrils on its' head are actually meant to be tentacles. As for the droopy thing, I understand it, but I doubt I'd do it since it would cross over a lot of the sprite and cause it to look a little more messy.

And the tail is actually suppose to be like a squid's head. As for it looking a little bland...I won't disagree there. I think it's just my preference to simpler designs.

6. LeinadWorks

LeinadWorks Novice member

Okay, here's two Fakemon ideas I came up with, they're both grass/poison iguanas that can learn a variety of useful attacks. The base form is named Seedeft, it's a rather small but strong iguana, it's colored lime and has green spikes. It evolves into Vineft at level 16, becoming much bigger and it's scales can get darker.

This is how they might look in my fangame.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. Ramman

Ramman Rookie member

Nice concept but some sprites or drawings would make it easier to give feedback.

[​IMG]

Here's some sprites I made lol, definitely not sure about the colors I chose but other feedback would be appreciated.

8. Djaco75

Djaco75 MasterMind member

I really like the first three and the last one. They all look really cool, especially the concept of the furnace guy. The other two in the middle, which I am presuming to be the last one's pre-evolutions kind of look a little flat. I think this takes away from the overall aesthetic of them. Other than that, I think they look really good.

Ramman likes this.
  9. LeinadWorks

They look pretty cool, but here's drawings I did of my Fakemons, sorry that I didn't show those earlier.
    [​IMG]

Fontbane and Ramman like this.
  10. Hematite

Hematite Definitely the Most Plot-Relevant Isorrioid member

Hey, everyone!

So, I've mostly been working with a checklist of designs and a lot of my Fakemon were planned before they were drawn. This one... I kinda just started randomly and drew something unplanned, and I'm really pleasantly surprised by how it came out, so I think I'm going to use it - I feel like it needs to be a third stage considering its design level, which is cool because I have far too many two-stage lines and very few three-stage ones, but I haven't done its pre-evolutions just yet.

[​IMG]

The idea is that it's Steel/Flying, but has Flash Fire. This is a form change - when it comes into battle, it doesn't have any tails, and I might make it not have the spots on its wings or make them blue or something to indicate the temperature change, but once it's hit with a Fire-type move, the fire tails you see activate (like Dhelmise, it gets STAB on a third type and incorporates that third type into its design, but unlike Dhelmise, since Flash Fire is conditional, so is looking Fire-type and it only looks Fire-type at all once it's been "charged" with a Fire hit).

It may also have a signature move that adds Steel to the enemy's type, which then makes its Flash Fire-boosted Fire moves good to use?

So yeah, I wanted to share this! Thoughts on the design and the concept? Anything I should be changing?

(I feel like the tails look more like lava than fire at the moment; I'm gonna have to fix that, haha. I would focus more on the design than the sprite, since the sprite probably isn't final! Edit: It's too big to be final anyway, so it's definitely to be resprited at some point.)

Edit from way later: oops, the image broke and I just noticed! It should show up again now. Also, it has a name! This is Kelviation!

Leinad, I would say to differentiate the stages a little more! They're very similar as they are. I'm sure you can cover some of that ground with the color change, but most of their design elements are very similar - maybe experiment with different proportions or stances (like making Seedeft quadrupedal so it only stands up after evolving?) to make the change more interesting! But that's a good start, I think! C:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. Taquilla

Taquilla Sandwich Master member

@Hematite@Hematite that is quite the peculiar species, has a late game majestic vibe. The ability should be a new one where it would be like water compaction but instead of defenses it would be a different form.
    Also I like the fact that it looks huge, usually lgendaries are the only ones of that size so it's a good change of pace.

Hematite likes this.
  12. TechSkylander1518

TechSkylander1518 Wiki Dweeb member

Oh my gosh that looks amazing! I love how you incorporated Flash Fire into its design-Flash Fire is a much cooler ability with a visible change like that! (Course, it helps that it's not actually a Fire-type like all the canon mons with it) That typing's also really going to help that ability shine-with just two weaknesses, it's bound to come into play!
    I think those look pretty nice so far, but like Hematite said, they could use a bit more to distinguish from each other. (though part of it might be because they look the same size in those pictures-you mentioned that it also gets much larger when it evolves?)

Hematite likes this.
  13. LeinadWorks

I should distinguish them from one another a bit more, and yes, as it evolves it gets bigger and stronger.

14. TheLightSword

TheLightSword :3 member

WHY DOESN'T THIS ALREADY EXIST??!?
    [​IMG]
    WE NEED AN OFFICIAL TOASTER ROTOM​

15. Radical Raptr

Radical Raptr 78% memes radicalraptr

@TheLightSword@TheLightSword That's a really cute design!
    What typing would you make it? Going off of coloration, I would say you either considered electric or normal, making it electric Normal, or a pure Electric - other possibilities would be a second fire type form, or making it part steel!
    I agree, a toaster Rotom would be super neat, in fact a lot of other forms for rotom would be rad

TheLightSword likes this.
  16. TheLightSword

Radical Raptr
    idk I didn't think about it. hmm
    I think it should be electric/steel because there is already exists (rotom-heat)
    yeah that should work
    its signature move should be flash canon
    or TOAST canon

Radical Raptr likes this.
  17. TheLightSword

[​IMG]
    A fire/rock type redional form weezing
    im proud...​

18. Radical Raptr

Radical Raptr 78% memes radicalraptr

@TheLightSword@TheLightSword That's a great looking sprite! it has great shading and it looks super cool, it's definitely an interesting take on regional forms! And weezing is such a great choice!

One thing tho, the body looks a little scrunched, I would maybe adjust the left side so its a bit wider there!

TheLightSword likes this.
  19. Pixel Profligate

@TheLightSword@TheLightSword That looks pretty good, but one thing that bugs me is how dark the outlines are. I'd suggest making some changes to them, like having lighter outlines where the light is/would be hitting the Pokemon from, as well as having lighter shades help transition from the flat bits of the body to the raised up/lower bits, like the inside ridges on the volcano. I'd also say the teeth shouldn't have a black outline as well, since that looks really jarring.

Hematite and TheLightSword like this.
  20. Pixel Plant Zone

Pixel Plant Zone Rookie member

Hey all! I literally just found this place browsing through the Fake'mon tag on Twitter. I've been working on a Fake'dex for about five months now, and know some very, very, veeeery basic Fire Red hacking. Eventually, I'd like to get at least 150 mons and get them hacked into the game. Currently, I'm doing a Nuzlocke run of Fire Red over at www.twitch.tv/pixelplantzone where I have to design a mon after every gym and add it to my in-game team. My current Fake'mon dex is under the spoiler!

All these sprites are designed for compatibility with Fire Red. I'd love to hear your feedback! Blostoyse and Sizzly are part of my current Nuzlocke and don't have fully spirited evolutions yet, but their evos have been sketched and will be designed soon. Boopsie is alo going to have a multi-form evolution and hasn't been fully designed yet.

:For anybody interested, here's a two minute-ish time-lapse of the design process we went through on stream for Doomstone and Blostoyse:

I appreciate anybody who takes the time to look at these!