Creative Fakémon Feedback

Croag

Rookie
Hi everyone I'm new here - but I am trying to get into pokemon fan game development and spriting :)

These are the designs I have so far - any feedback would be much appreciated!

Poison/dragon

Fairy/normal

Ice

Ooh, I really love those designs!

The one thing I can think to comment on now is that your seal line doesn't really feel Normal/Fairy when looking at it for the first time. (I think it's the blue-green of the snout that throws me off-it feels like it's indicating another type, like Dark or Water) That's a pretty subjective thing, though, and even if most people feel that way, that's not necessarily a bad thing. (You could even play it like a Sudowoodo sort of thing-circus seals do perform "tricks", don't they?)

The evolved lion also seems a bit off-centered in its mane? That might just be me misunderstanding the pose, though.

Croag

Rookie
Ooh, I really love those designs!

The one thing I can think to comment on now is that your seal line doesn't really feel Normal/Fairy when looking at it for the first time. (I think it's the blue-green of the snout that throws me off-it feels like it's indicating another type, like Dark or Water) That's a pretty subjective thing, though, and even if most people feel that way, that's not necessarily a bad thing. (You could even play it like a Sudowoodo sort of thing-circus seals do perform "tricks", don't they?)

The evolved lion also seems a bit off-centered in its mane? That might just be me misunderstanding the pose, though.
thank you! :) I think you are right about the typing of the seal. I'll work at maybe changing colour scheme.
The lion was supposed to be wearing a winter coat! I've updated the sprite so maybe it's more clear

I also tried my hand at animating! First time for everything lol

I'm designing a pre-evolution to Pinsir called Pinstar ("instar" is a developmental phase of insect larvae). I'm looking for some feedback on design choices, specifically, I can't decide if I'd like the back half of the body to be grub-like or coated in an exoskeleton; if I do go grub, I'd like some advice to make that part of the body look more grub-like without just making it longer; I don't think there's enough contrast between the textures of the head/legs vs the grubby part. Secondly I can't decide on the eyes; I like the Nincada eyes (tried other colors, but red looked the best), but I think the blind head-crab looking one looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
Ooh, that's a fun idea!

I feel like grub-like is the better way to go. While the exoskeleton is neat, it feels a bit strange to add yellow into Pinstar's color scheme when Pinsir doesn't have any. Even though it probably makes sense biologically, from a design standpoint, most Pokemon tend to have bigger color schemes in their evolved forms, not their prevos.

Between the two grub forms, the one with eyes actually makes the head pretty distinct from the body-because the eyes take so much space, the hair seems like it would be everywhere, you just can't see it. But I think that you could easily do that with the no-eyes version-what if you just added more detail to the surface, like this?

Phoenixsong

mulberry ambush
I agree with TechSkylander on going with the "grub" version. Changing the number of colors is a good point (though I do have other thoughts on that, see below), but aside from that it doesn't make a ton of sense to add features that the evolution doesn't already have, especially when those features are things found on adult animals vs. juvenile animals. Loss of design elements does occur, such as kadabra losing its tail, but it's not at all common; you could technically do it here if you're really attached to the idea, but in that case it'd probably help to make sure there's justification for it beyond just "it looks cool". Old pokémon in particular can seem really wonky conceptually, and this is related to one, but most people like to be able to identify at least some of why a pokémon's design elements are the way they are, or to see that they "make sense" as creatures as much as a pokémon reasonably can. (Which isn't much at all, but hey.)

As for making it look "grublike"... hm. On the one hand I get the desire for visual contrast between the segments, but on the other hand pinsir itself doesn't exactly have much head/body distinction, so it's not like it doesn't fit. If you do want to change something, my first thought would be shortening the rear legs, maybe? It'll make the abdomen look larger by comparison, and most larval/caterpillar pokémon have very short legs anyway. They don't have to be totally spherical like caterpie's or sewaddle's, though you could try that and see how it looks. Just a bit more like the little flipper-limbs you see on a lot of basic pokémon in general. Grubbin's front legs, for example. Worth a shot to see if you think it suits what you're going for, at least.

You could also maybe make the body a lighter shade, or even whitish. I don't think one extra color hurts as long as it's not too extravagant. If you look at real-world beetle larvae (or grubbin again, for example), they do tend to have dark heads and light bodies, so it'd be pretty accurate and not that jarring when its color becomes more uniform after evolving.

Eyes or no eyes, hm... I think I prefer the eyes for the greater contrast/the fact that it gets the viewer's attention to have at least something on the face. Maybe as a compromise it could have "closed" eyes, similar to something like skitty or cyndaquil? It's just a little something that's also not too far off from the "blind" look you prefer right now.

Also, if I may offer a suggestion: you seem to be working from paras's sprite as a base, which is fine, but might I suggest altering the "front arms/claws" a little bit more, possibly to look like forward-facing horns? Again, it's a little odd for the prevo to have six limbs when pinsir only has four, and right now there's not much visual connection between the two stages other than color and the segmented abdomen. Adding little horns to the sides of the head better showcases the connection between them, and would give you a place to use a lighter color to break the monotony without adding a new element that pinsir doesn't have. For simplicity's sake, if you go the route of lightening pinstar's body, I'd make the horns and the body the same color to keep things cohesive and avoid adding too much.

(Of course, maybe you have a reason for wanting pinstar to have extra limbs and/or no horns, which is fine! Again, though, it'd probably help to make sure that's clear somewhere like the pokédex entry, etc. in that case, so it doesn't seem to be coming out of left field. An alternative might be to drop one of the two pairs of rear legs, so pinstar would keep the "long gangly arms/short legs" configuration that pinsir has.)

I hope some of that is helpful! You've got a good start there, and it's nice to see pinsir getting some fakemon relatives—the poor thing is so easily forgotten these days.

Last edited: