1. Hey Guest, from June 30th to August 10th 2017, participants have a little over a month to create a game. Check out the forum for more details!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. SmokedPaprika

SmokedPaprika Thread Author Stinky Person member

Banette & Guilmon

Discussion in 'Relic Castle Game Jam #3' started by SmokedPaprika, Aug 9, 2017.

Banette & Guilmon

Screenshots:

Download Link:
    Right here, just for you!

Made Using:
    Pokemon Essentials 16.2
    RPG Maker XP

Team:

SmokedPaprika - Writing/Eventing/Mapping/Fan/Punching Bag
    LlamaMinister - Guilmon/Portal Sprites/Moral Support/Playtester
    LilypadLemur - Character Portraits

Description:

A visual novel about a Guilmon who’s been living in a modern version of the Pokemon World ever since he walked through a mysterious portal six years prior. Living at an apartment with a reclusive and distant Banette, Guilmon often feels unappreciated and unwanted.

Having a hard time making friends with many other Pokemon, he struggles to find a place in this world he’s forced to live in. However, a few days after they start to get filmed by a documentarian, the relationship between Banette and Guilmon begins to fall apart.

Notes:
    There are three scenes in the game that are intended to be synced to music. If you click out of the screen during these scenes, the scene will be out of sync and pretty dang wonky. I don't think there's any way to deal with this, so I'll just tell you which scenes I'm talking about.

Resource Pack:
    Here's the goods.

Credits:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Mantager, Hematite, Sparkin and 13 others like this.
  2. Presley

Presley Fastest Man Alive member

I really love this so far. Like, I actually love this. It's extremely well-written in my eyes because I honestly feel like I'm in the characters' shoes. I can almost feel the emotion coming out of them! On top of everything, the soundtrack is really nice. Great job, Pap! Looking forward to more things like this in the future.

Bromley and SmokedPaprika like this.
  3. Mashirosakura

Mashirosakura Novice member

I...I'm kind of at a loss for words. I just experienced 1h15mins of joy. Of relatability. Whilst making Edge Rising, Pap occasionally talked about this game. I kind of ignored it and said to myself "I'm not gonna spoil it and I'll play it when it's out." I am glad I waited. I related to Banette more than I was expecting too. Just...good job Pap, good job.

Bromley and SmokedPaprika like this.
  4. SmokedPaprika

Hahaha, thanks a bunch! I can't really take much credit for the soundtrack, because I didn't have those songs made for the game. I'm just a dirty thief who has a decent sense of when a good song works with a scene.

That's really, really flattering! I don't want to spoil anything for the people who haven't played the game yet, but there were scenes in this game that were difficult for me to write. One scene, specifically, had me prancing around my neighborhood to keep the blood flowing so I could maintain a sense of negativity that the characters were feeling. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I hope you enjoy some of the other jam games, too.

5. TechSkylander1518

TechSkylander1518 Wiki Dweeb member

Now, I know saying this reveals a deep personal flaw, but…I have not actually played Home yet. (not of disinterest, I promise! I only discovered it during the school year, and keep putting it off due to poor time management) So B&G got to be my first time fully experiencing your visual novels-the excellent music selections (both in the synced scenes and just for setting the mood), the wonderful characterization, and the unique approach to storytelling. (and the excellent sense of humor-I absolutely lost it at Exploud)

B&G has a sense of whimsy that reminds me a bit of Pixar films-not because it’s about two monsters sharing an apartment, but in that it creates a whole universe to explore and wonder about while giving you a story of its residents so intimate you feel like you know them yourself. (which is not what most people would have done in a story that begins with a portal from the Digimon world to the Pokemon world) It was such a wonderful experience, thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Bromley, Hematite and SmokedPaprika like this.
  6. Fakemon123

Fakemon123 Still a Noob member

OH. MY. GOD. This was absolutely phenomenal! Pap, you're an amazing storyteller! At first I was a little weary of such a touchy subject being brought up in a fangame, I was a little worried that it might hit a little too close to home, but I feel you found the perfect way to tell this kind of story while keeping the nice, fun, happy tone that Pokemon always carries with it. I found the characters extremely relatable, as many people have already said, and sometimes I could imagine myself and some of my friends in the shoes of Banette and Guilmon. This was an amazing game and I can't wait to see more games from you! I also really like how innovative it was to make you unable to control the character, and to use RPG Maker to simply tell a story, I haven't encountered anything like that before and am hoping B&G will inspire more people to tell stories in that style! Once again, amazing game, and I really have nothing bad to say at all!

SmokedPaprika likes this.
  7. SmokedPaprika

Hey, don't even worry about it! I'll be honest - I was being a massive brat about Home. It's an unfinished concept of a game without any real immediate draw to it. I want to redo it with better visuals and a more complete story, and so it's perfectly fine if you haven't played it.

That being said, thanks a whole bunch for playing through my game. I'm absolutely flattered that you'd say such kind things about the experience. Your guys' support means the world to me, and I hope to be able to continue to write stories like these for you guys, because it's my passion. Thanks a million.

Jeez, you guys, you're gonna make me cry ;w;

TechSkylander1518 likes this.
  8. TechSkylander1518

TechSkylander1518 Wiki Dweeb member

Honestly, it really does have draw for me already, but if you're redoing it, I'd better hold off! I wanna have everything fresh when i try!

It's really clear that your passion and talent for storytelling is amazing! I can't wait to see where it takes you!

9. Rhyden

Rhyden Musical Mouse raiden

This was a very good story and it felt pretty relatable with the themes of depression, willpower and such. It kind of hurt to watch because of that but even if it was saddening I still enjoyed it for what it was, a quality piece of entertainment. Never stop writing stories, Pap.

10. Capptier

Capptier Novice capptier

Wow. I don't know what to say.

If I'm honest, when I first heard about the name of "Banette and Guilmon", I was skeptical about how it would play out. Alongside not being a big fan of visual novels, I was slightly wary. But I'm glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed this the whole way through. The characters were all great, truly believable and at some points it was even worrying how realistic you made them, since something to this level is usually only done with a bit of real life experience in the matter. The thoughts and feelings of characters were all understandable giving the situations that they were in, and ended up all being something that I could truly empathise with.

There's so much more I could say but I don't want to write a huge huge post. But all in all, you've truly created something amazing here. I look forward to any project you make in the future if it's even a fraction of the quality of this!

11. Bromley

Bromley Rookie member

I believe that Banette and Guilmon could reasonably work as a feature-length animated film. The only hurdle would be to get Nintendo, GameFreak, and Saban to be fine with you using their property. ...That's a pretty big hurdle actually. Scrap that. I do think you'd be a good cinematographer, Pap, and I really hope you'll be successful in any of your future endeavors!

12. SmokedPaprika

Don't forget the copyrighted music that'll scare everybody away!

13. Bromley

Bromley Rookie member

And Masuda can't play piano either, so no emotional scenes. Only trumpets.

14. Mantager

Mantager Ditto Change! mantager

Man. This game... well, it's not really a game, is it? It's a documentary. The cameraman/interviewer dynamic works so well, and Banette and Guilmon are very well written. Like others have mentioned, it's quite easy to see Banette in myself, and so, the whole thing just turns much more realistic. The wide array of portraits and music helped to set the mood for each scene, and added to the emotional impact. Seriously, stellar work on this. I can really tell you put your all into this, it's one of the best RPG Maker projects I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy.

15. Aki

Aki Time to play some jams aki

This game is so...I dunno, I just don't have a good word for it. It's so cathartic and well made; the story is really personal and relateable while the setup is fun and still has time for jokes.