Released Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
sardonyx_logo_new_2_by_keileon-dblokvz.png

ZnTWdNL.png

Pokémon Sardonyx: Raised to Win is a fangame made in Pokemon Essentials v16.2, by a small team of friends based upon a play-by-post roleplay that lasted for a few years. The roleplay eventually ended in favor of continuing the story as a game and a Nuzlocke comic. We have recently picked up development again and are eager to tell the story we've been wanting to since 2011.

PS:RtW is a somewhat ambitious game, featuring in the future a branching storyline and deep worldbuilding. We may take artistic liberty with many established pieces of Pokémon lore, particularly centering around the Pokémon themselves. We take inspiration from both the games and anime, as well as Nuzlocke artists, a certain PMD fanfiction author, common theories, and random musings from the devs. While we strive to have memorable game mechanics and features, our game is intended to be primarily narrative-driven and rewards the player for exploration and interaction. Almost every object can be interacted with.

While the game may be relatively easy at the start, it is intended to have a difficulty curve similar to Pokémon Platinum Version. We recommend searching the grass for Pokémon (each area has a wide selection, even cities) and training when possible. We do not recommend playing the game on a Nuzlocke Challenge, at least on the first playthrough. More cautious or paranoid players may wish to save the game often, just in case something happens.

We currently have a workable development team and do not technically lack any roles. We should be able to complete the game with our current team. However, we will consider applicants for spriters, scripters, composers, and promotional/graphics artists. Please see the Contact section below.

We market ourselves as a parody protected under Fair Use laws. In no way do we receive profit from media related to this fangame.

Download Link!

Current Version: 2.8.5
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/download/

----------

GbpzO8a.png

12-map-png

Map may not be final and is subject to change.

You begin in Granite Town in the Altaris Region, a small town by the region's standards but beginning to expand and urbanize. Though you already sort of have a Pokémon- a family "pet" belonging to a relative that is no longer available- you decide that you need to go get a Pokémon of your own and become a trainer. Your neighbor and best friend tags along with you as you head to Shardil Town, where the professor will give you a choice between three Pokémon: Eevee, Mienfoo, and Solosis.

Very soon you begin to become aware of a gang, similar to those in other regions and yet somehow different. Reportedly, they almost never steal the Pokémon of other trainers. There are no grunts. There is no consistent uniform or identifying aspect aside from the raven they use as an emblem. These phantom whispers of a gang calling themselves Team Mortis reach you nearly everywhere you go, as does news of their illegal activities: pitting Pokémon against each other in battles to the death.

But are they the only criminal activity in the region?

Adventure through the island region and forge your own story. One might instinctively aim for the Gym challenge and Pokémon League, but none of this is required if you wish to take a more unorthodox path. Talk to everyone you meet, investigate every nook and cranny, explore every hidden passage and you will be rewarded for your efforts with deep worldbuilding and expansions on the established Pokémon lore.

As long as there is life in us.
As long as we hold the will to survive.
Knowing no different, we fight for our masters...
... For we are born to fight...
... And raised to win.

AWNBYnW.png

A more comprehensive list of features can be seen here:
https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/features/

STORY
  • Dark, branching storyline​
  • Sarcastic NPCs and poking fun at official games​
  • Interactable items are everywhere- if something seems out of place, try interacting with it​
  • Tie-ins to the official games​
  • Sidequests​

GRAPHICS AND RESOURCES
  • Mix of generation 4 and 5 graphics​
  • Custom and Free-Use-With-Credit music​
  • Custom and Free-Use-With-Credit tiles and sprites​
  • Custom UI textures​

GAMEPLAY MECHANICS
  • Following Pokémon​
  • Optional gyms​
  • HM replacements​
  • Type chart adjustments: Normal is now Super Effective on Fairy and Psychic, Ice resists Ground/Grass/Water, Poison is Super Effective on Water​
  • If you see this on any fangame website except Relic, PokeCommunity, or Ragnarok Raven it was stolen​
  • Turbo button that works at any time​
  • Multiple save files and Quicksave​
  • Pokémon permadeath in certain battles​
  • Mystery Gift​

POKÉMON
  • Full Pokédex access (generation 6 through 8 Pokemon only available in Safari Zone or through limited ingame events)​
  • Mega Evolutions, some custom​
  • Regional variants, similar to Alola forms-- currently over 90!​
  • Pokémon rebalances: many Pokémon now have altered base stats and movesets​

d72SiJA.png

Due to the sheer amount of questions we have accrued, we have taken to displaying our FAQ on our website.

https://ragnarokraven.net/sardonyxrtw/faq/

BrSr4Gh.png

61-screensmoke-png
67-screenevo-png
74-screenlab-png
92-screenmortis-png

85-screenvee-png
66-screencitri-png
63-screencave-png
62-screenblood-png
More screenshots can be found here: Click!

v1aQnkW.png

http://codex.ragnarokraven.net/rtw/index.php?title=Credits

bLJWbe6.png

Pokémon Sardonyx has a website!

You can follow the development of the game at our Twitter account, @Sardonyx_RtW!

You can email the primary developer of the game at: [email protected]

You can also join our Discord server to communicate with the developers in real-time!​

Last edited:

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
It's April once again, and you know what that means...

That's right! Groray makes its fated return to Sardonyx for the entire month!
A fusion of Luxray and Grovyle born of a in-joke between members of Ragnarok Raven, Groray learns anything Grovyle and normal Luxray are capable of learning while having an average of their base stats. But because it's a joke (and is a bit strong), it also haves the unfortunate ability Jester to confuse it every other turn. So use at your own risk.
While patching is not necessary to obtain this mystery gift, you should be on 2.6 for the gift to work properly.

Also, there's another thing coded in, but I forgot what it is. Just know that whatever it is, it'll only last until the 14th.

SunGoddess23

Cooltrainer
kinda curious on what that second thing is and I'm hoping I'll figure it out before the 14th through right now trying to find out where Groray is so I can put him in the box for now.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
It's a Mystery Gift; you need to select the relevant option on the save selection screen.

SunGoddess23

Cooltrainer
I did that just can't remember the person that gives you those mystery gifts even though I got the other two Pokemon from before though I don't think they were both mystery gifts except for the Charmander.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
Try going to the two places you would normally expect to find a person who would give you a Mystery Gift in an official game. Provided you try both of these places (after you get your starter), you will find him without issue.

ShinyMissingno

??? Pokémon
Okay, so... I've been jumping back into this game on and off, trying to find my way back out of Peridot forest. That's not so much an issue, I don't mind being lost, but I encountered an item that crashed my game. Fairly certain I'm up to date, but it gave me an error when I tried to pick it up. It's the item just slightly southeast from this one bug catcher who talks about having 'just come up from the underground after ten years', before correcting himself and saying how his watch says it's 'only been ten minutes';

Dunno if it's me or the game, but I thought I oughta post anyway, in case it's the game.

EDIT; worth noting I used the launcher, rather than the direct game file I usually do. It might have redirected me to an older version of the game somehow? Not sure.

Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.
Script error within event 18, map 50 (Peridot Forest):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section217:1064:in `pbStoreItem'undefined method `length' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
Kernel.pbItemBall(:GREATBALL)
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
PField_Field:2605:in `pbItemBall'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:794:in `eval'
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:794:in `command_111'
Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'

Last edited:

Jewelwriter

Rainbow Mage
I know I got into it a bit. Hope you keep going.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
Quick update to say that we're going to be releasing a v2.7 before 3.0, since we've been mostly focusing on updates, tweaks, and mechanics more than actual story lately. We don't have a release date, but expect it relatively soon.

xiaomaome

Novice
this looks very promising, but regarding the lv cap, i wish it was implemented differently, tbh. the issue is that its really easy to over level your pkm either becuz u werent expecting keeping an eye on the current lv cap, or u ended up using 1 particular pokemon more than expected (this happens when i unintentionally sweep the other team or take out alot of mons with one pokemon without meaning to, usually by dumb luck). A disobedient pokemon becomes effectively useless, so it would be better to make a pokemon unable to gain exp once it hits the lv cap. just a suggestion for future updates.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
I'm just gonna say that we're very unlikely to take out the obedience system as it is. At best, we're more likely to adjust the existing levels where disobedience kicks in once surpassed, or add items to help the player deal with it. But that's it. Sorry if it disappoints you to hear that.

All I can recommend is the following: Check the obedience cap often (since we do offer two methods of checking that). If a Pokemon on your team is close to reaching/passing the obedience cap, either start avoiding battles as much as you can or start using another Pokemon. And usually the case is if you're close enough for that to start being a concern, you're close to a point where the obedience cap will increase anyway.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
You can check the obedience cap either by calling Spruce or asking EVO in Stats, by the way. EVO will also alert you if you're at or past the cap when you ask.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
Coincidentally, exactly a year after the release of 2.6, we bring you 2.7! Due to the sheer volume of changes and amount of people who don't patch the game when they download, we're releasing this version as a pseudo-core.

It is recommended to 1. delete any previous versions you have of the game and 2. to start a new save file for this version. This applies even to our Beta Testers. It is also optimal to remove previous save files from the computer (the directory can be found in the game's readme files).

If continuing a previous save anyway, make sure you save INDOORS before you patch.

https://sardonyxrtw.weebly.com/downloads.html
https://rtw-wiki.nebulonranger.org/mw/index.php/Changelog#1.2F23.2F2020_-_Demo_2.7

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
Took a bit longer for reasons, but 2.7.4 is now out. In which a few things were addressed such as text edits, abilities and items correctly working, and a bug fix we thought we put in but somehow forgot...

You know, typical fangame dev shenanigans.

We also temporarily turned off FmodEx in an attempt to alleviate the weird battle crashing... Which weirdly I've never experienced... Game dev is weird... The downside is that tracks optimized for FmodEx may hang a bit on startup. From experience, it's not that long(?), so please bear with this change as we hopefully see if this fixes the weird issue that's plagued this game since v2.0.

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
We're back with 2.7.5 after... forgetting to announce Groray in this thread... Whoops! Ah well, at least you guys were hopefully observant enough to realize that was going on... And if not, it'll just be back next April, so... *shrugs*...

Anyway, 2.7.5. Bugfixes as usual, including one for Ophrys so that his cool-downs don't interfere with each other. A few tweaks here and there, throw in some Galar starters for Randomizer, and you got this patch.

With that said, provided nothing else goes majorly wrong, our next update will be 2.8. 2.8 will be released as yet another pseudo-core for the version 2 series. Saying this in advance even though hopefully, EVO Night will begrudgingly notify you of it once it's released.

As for 3.0... It's taking a while, but we're still working on it. Don't worry!

Lord X-Giga-X

Sardonyx's Reaper
Welp, a month and a half after the issue that led to this new patch, 2.7.6..... Featuring a newly remodeled precinct! And more big fixes...Yaaay...

We'll be back later with another update at some point. Hopefully with less things going horribly wrong... (I tend to say that a lot with these updates...)