Introduction Thread

kmb

dabbling in game design
Hi, I'm new to all of this. I've gotten the idea that fan game development is a bit like fan fiction writing, so I bought RPG Maker and downloaded Pokemon Essentials. I've been working on a fan game for a few weeks, while trying to learn the RPG Maker program and Pokemon Essentials scripts. Nice to meet everyone, but I have a question. Since people normally write fan fiction, and I'm guessing also make fan games, to share their stories and ideas with other people, but Nintendo doesn't want us to do that, is there still an active community that's relatively low risk? Like, that's technically the law, but it's understood not be directed at the fans or something?

I get that really popular games could hurt sales, but those of us who make these games probably wouldn't still play without the prospect of being able to take them apart and understand them. I know a lot of aspects of copyright don't make sense in the modern age, but I'm willing to be as non-intrusive as I can while still meeting my fandom-related desires.

Last edited:

Deo

the north star
Administrator
Since people normally write fan fiction, and I'm guessing also make fan games, to share their stories and ideas with other people, but Nintendo doesn't want us to do that, is there still an active community that's relatively low risk? Like, that's technically the law, but it's understood not be directed at the fans or something?

I get that really popular games could hurt sales, but those of us who make these games probably wouldn't still play without the prospect of being able to take them apart and understand them. I know a lot of aspects of copyright don't make sense in the modern age, but I'm willing to be as non-intrusive as I can while still meeting my fandom-related desires.
Assuming by "active community" you mean non-Pokemon: Sonic is generally a decent community for fan games, from what I understand. Sega acknowledges that they aren't trying to hurt sales, and actually contacted a fan game developer to work with them on various ports, and green lit Sonic Mania.

If you mean Pokemon: honestly, most fan game take downs have nothing to do with developer communities, it's all about the community around that specific project. It also certainly doesn't help if you're making any money off a fan game.

If you want to read other posts about this subject, check this thread out. I'm not sure we need many more threads or post on the matter, it's been discussed quite a bit.

That said, welcome to Relic Castle! 😉

Cyaloom

Rookie
Hello!
So, after lurking and finding all sorts of useful resources, I've finally created an account. I'm interested in creating a Pokémon fangame with Essentials of course, that is why I'm here after all
I have to thank you for not only sharing sprites, scripts etc. but also for the tips and the discussions going on and for being such a nice community as a whole :)
Ci vediamo! (yes I'm Italian)

novaquantum

Rookie
Hi Relic Castle, I'm NQ, I am interested in getting to know the fan game community. I played Thundaga's Pokemon Paradox and enjoyed it. I hope to get to meet you guys. I want to get to know people and make friends who are also into fan games as most people I know have never heard of a fan game so it's hard to talk about them. My favorite fan game is Pokemon Paradox as it was the first completed fan game I went through. See you later. =3 - NQ

ZoruaYo

Rookie
Hi all! I'm kinda new to fan games, but I've already tried a couple and I'm hooked! I love how there's a lot of variety in stories, region design, OSTs etc., so I'm looking to dive in and experience them for myself. Since I'm also a writer, I'm actually also interested in working with others on their games, so definitely looking forward to that. Glad to have joined this community; praise Zorua!

TheBarmyBrit

Novice
Hello everyone, I kinda forgot to do this when I signed up so I'm doing so now. The internet name's Barmy, pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am an inspiring games designer and massive Poke-nerd, wanting to use both of my passions into making some good games for the future. I also love art, making my own from time to time and even enjoying getting back into sprite art once again! I hope to be a part of this community for a long long time!
#Gen3BestGen

GoodGuyWooper

Youtuber, Project Capture Devloper
Oh boy I have been out for a few years I think, not sure. But I’m back! And I’m working on my game again I’ve renamed it project capture for the time being. But I’ve gotten more work done this month then in the last several. 28 complete fakemon out of 150 or so. 2 original music pieces and 2 maps! (I know I’m slacking on the maps part but essentials confuses me). But anyways glad to be back and this time I’m going to be an active member of the community!

Gen8King

FanGameNewbie
Hello, I'm Gen8King who has moved from www.pokecommunity.com under a different name (can't remember for the life of me) while working on a fan game project called Pokemon Astral. However the game never got finished since my teammates had other projects to do and I worked on it all alone; truth is, I'm still a noob to making fan games and I want to change the story of Astral into something else. I hope that by the time college is over and I have vacation of from work that I will finally get some time to re-work the game and have people work along side me in this project of mine. Thank you for understanding my position and I would love to make new friends here because the layout of Relic Castle is way better than that of Poke Community.

Aldo!

Adventurer
Hello ~ I'm Aldo, or AdventurerAldo in other sites.
Ever since I played a few old fangames, I thought of making my own, to create my own Pokémon story. Aldough, I am not experienced in creating fangames (I'm the kind that just by watching videos won't get the real experience) so currently I look into helping other fangames in areas that I think I can do quite reasonable work.
Pleased to meet everyone ~

Juliandroid98

The friendliest Groudon
Hello, I'm Juliandroid98. After working on and off with pokemon essentials for years now I've recently decided to finally pick it up again and actually start to develop something.
So yes, im still fairly new to creating fangames but i'm well on my way to learn
My strong suit at the moment is mostly geared towards spriteart and story telling, but i'd definitely wish to improve in other areas as well as I go along.
Pleased to meet all of you and I hope i'll be having a fun time here with you guys ^-^

MarcStuts08

Rookie
Hello, I'm MarcStuts08! I'm working on a Pokemon game called "Song of Silence" and I figured this would be an amazing place to get feedback. I am extremely new to the RPGMaker scene and I'm learning as I go.

Sorry if my grammar and punctuation isn't the best, sometimes I type faster than my brain, resulting in things like a proper noun having both letters capitalized (like THis), and I swear my keyboard skips a keystroke every now and then.

My main skills are sketching and ~eh spriting, but I've always wanted to create a game using the various Fakemon I doodle while bored.

Buttjuice

happy dev
I'm kind of surprised I haven't done this yet, but uhhhh

Hi, I'm buttjuice. I've been involved in the fan game community for almost two years now. Been fiddling with ROM hacks for longer, but never really got into it like I did fan games. I kind of ditched my first project to focus on a new one I started at the beginning of 2018 called Pokémon Umbra, and I'm really happy with how that one's going (compared to my first project which I'm ashamed of lol). I can't sprite, or make music, but I can event and map! Anyways, feel free to talk to me whenever I'm pretty friendly. ^^

Magiscarf

Rookie
Hi. I'm Magiscarf. You may know me from deviantart under the same name.

I've made tiles and sprites for a while now, and some years ago I dabbled with helping others in making their games. I thought I might try this forum out and maybe offer my services from time to time since at the moment I don't have much direct contact with people who make games despite making graphics for fangames.

Dragonite

The cake is a lie, so give it to me
Hey, I've seen you around. Hope you have a nice time here!

JollyGabo

Rookie
Hello there! I'm JollyGabo, and I finally decided to create an account here. I'm an illustrator and my speciality are character designs. I've been wanting to tip my toe in game development for a while, and now (maybe?) I'll try doing something on my own, but I'm still new to this and I wanted to be in contact with other developers. I hope we can get along well^^

Sederance

Shuffle AU
Sederance here wanting to create a fan-game. I'm trudging along as I work through making the maps and finding out how to script events but it is nice to meet you all. I like to make maps, try to make designs for both people and pokemon. I've love video games for as long as I can remember so finding this site and the resources on how to make my own games I just had to sign up. To those who take the time to make games, nice to meet you all and I look forward to cooperating with you.

Ruler

Dreamer
Hey there! I go by Ruler, and I've been lurking around for a couple years or so I guess. I started to work on my own fangame about a couple months ago, and love coming up with plotlines, regions, etc. Nice to meet everyone, and I hope to get along with you guys.

Hello! TheLegendofFarlz here. I consider myself a writer.

I’ve been playing Pokemon since I was 7 years old and my next door neighbor gave me pokemon blue whilst I was bed ridden with chicken pox and have been an avid fan since, through HeroVoltsy’s YouTube channel I discovered Relic Castle and have been lurking around for quite a few years.

I attempted to create a ROM hack when I was studying media in college and completely lost the love of all things video games related whilst on the course. over the past year I’ve regained my love for gaming and have been catching up on everything I missed the past 5 years, and have since assisted a friend in making games on Roblox just general gameplay features, marketing strategies, level ideas and the like. Recently I came up with an idea I just couldn’t ignore so I wrote the pitch for my fan game, got myself signed up and have started learning how to use Pokemon Essentials. If you’re interested in hearing what I have in mind I’m totally happy for anyone to read it and provide feedback, in general though, you’ll find me on the discussion forums asking for opinions and advice.

Also if anyone at all wants me to test their games or wants any form of direction, I’m always happy to oblige,