• The Relic Castle Game Jam #4 is almost halfway done! From June 30th to August 10th, users have just a bit over a month to make an entire game. Check this thread for details!

Introduction Thread

kmb

Rookie
Hi, I'm new to all of this. I've gotten the idea that fan game development is a bit like fan fiction writing, so I bought RPG Maker and downloaded Pokemon Essentials. I've been working on a fan game for a few weeks, while trying to learn the RPG Maker program and Pokemon Essentials scripts. Nice to meet everyone, but I have a question. Since people normally write fan fiction, and I'm guessing also make fan games, to share their stories and ideas with other people, but Nintendo doesn't want us to do that, is there still an active community that's relatively low risk? Like, that's technically the law, but it's understood not be directed at the fans or something?

I get that really popular games could hurt sales, but those of us who make these games probably wouldn't still play without the prospect of being able to take them apart and understand them. I know a lot of aspects of copyright don't make sense in the modern age, but I'm willing to be as non-intrusive as I can while still meeting my fandom-related desires.

Last edited:

Deo

the north star
Administrator
Since people normally write fan fiction, and I'm guessing also make fan games, to share their stories and ideas with other people, but Nintendo doesn't want us to do that, is there still an active community that's relatively low risk? Like, that's technically the law, but it's understood not be directed at the fans or something?

I get that really popular games could hurt sales, but those of us who make these games probably wouldn't still play without the prospect of being able to take them apart and understand them. I know a lot of aspects of copyright don't make sense in the modern age, but I'm willing to be as non-intrusive as I can while still meeting my fandom-related desires.
Assuming by "active community" you mean non-Pokemon: Sonic is generally a decent community for fan games, from what I understand. Sega acknowledges that they aren't trying to hurt sales, and actually contacted a fan game developer to work with them on various ports, and green lit Sonic Mania.

If you mean Pokemon: honestly, most fan game take downs have nothing to do with developer communities, it's all about the community around that specific project. It also certainly doesn't help if you're making any money off a fan game.

If you want to read other posts about this subject, check this thread out. I'm not sure we need many more threads or post on the matter, it's been discussed quite a bit.

That said, welcome to Relic Castle! 😉

Cyaloom

Rookie
Hello!
So, after lurking and finding all sorts of useful resources, I've finally created an account. I'm interested in creating a Pokémon fangame with Essentials of course, that is why I'm here after all
I have to thank you for not only sharing sprites, scripts etc. but also for the tips and the discussions going on and for being such a nice community as a whole :)
Ci vediamo! (yes I'm Italian)