Recruiting Recruiting Fakémon Artists for Pokemon Cloudburst

This thread's author is looking for long-term team members.

Phoenix_Wings

Rookie
Brief Overview:
Looking to recruit:
  • artists who can design fakemon and produce art of them in the Sugimori style
Unique features:
  • 200 new fakemon
  • a new region based on Scandinavia
  • held items that change the typing and appearance of certain fakemon
  • level scaling
  • ability to challenge gym leaders in any order
Method of contact: please email fangamesubmissions@gmail.com
If this sounds interesting, please read below for further information!

Hi everyone! I’ve always been interested in making a Pokemon fan game, especially one with fakemon; I even came up with a pretty in-depth premise, but never found the time to actually start any progress, until now. As such, I really only have a bunch of ideas: things are very much still in the alpha stage of development. I designed a region based on Scandinavia that is entirely populated with fakemon, with a story based on tensions between tradition and technological and scientific progress. The main gimmick are held items that change the typing of certain fakemon. For instance, if you have a fire/dark type, and you give it the specific item, it will change it's typing to be something else, like water/steel, or ghost/fairy etc. and it's overall appearance will change to match (think regional forms). The story will be related to this gimmick, with the villainous team either contesting it's use or using it in nefarious ways. I'm also planning on implementing level scaling in the routes, and letting players challenge the gym leaders in any order. My main inspirations were other fan games like Pokemon Sage, Pokemon Solar Light and Lunar Dark, Pokemon Ethereal Gates (now Sea and Sky), and Pokemon Spectrum, among others. I’m hoping to create something similar. If any of this sounds interesting to you, please keep reading, because I’m going to need help if I want to end up bringing this idea to life! The clearest place to start in my eyes is with the fakemon designs. Unfortunately, I lack the skills to create art of any of the fakemon (I’ve only been able to come up with ideas), which brings me to my main point. Currently, I’m looking for a couple of artists who can design fakemon and produce art of them in the Sugimori style. I'll explain the recruiting process below. My plan is to have roughly 200 new fakemon, and once the pokedex is created, then we can move on to actually creating the game. We will be using Pokemon Essentials. Down below I've attached some photos of my ideas back when I first started brainstorming. They're pretty rough, and be assured that the final game will be much more polished, but hopefully they'll give you some idea of what I'm thinking of!

First, to get some things out of the way: there’s no obligation to continue to work on the project for any set period of time. I’d rather not keep people shackled to a creative endeavour that they aren’t interested in, so if you end up getting chosen, working on the fan game a bit, and then decide you’d like to move on to something else, that is totally fine. You’ll get your name in the credits for any work you do. That also means that if you don’t get selected in this first round, if an availability opens up, then I might contact you to see if you’d still like to work on the project. Again, you’re under no obligation to sign on unless you truly want to! Also, just to make this clear, you will not be paid for your work on the fan game, so please keep that in mind.

Now to get onto the actual submission process. It’s fairly simple: you’ll be given a couple lists of fakemon ideas and then will have to create art for one line chosen by you from each list, as well as your own line. Then, please send the file with the art to this email address: fangamesubmissions@gmail.com. This process closes on August 1st, 2021, but if you think you’ll need more time then email me at the same address and we’ll work something out. After all of the submissions are entered, I’ll look through the entries and will decide upon the two artists who will help out a week after the deadline. I’ve linked a PDF of the list of fakemon ideas, as well as more detailed instructions, below. Good luck to any who decide to enter!

At some point I’ll also need people to create the art of the trainers, do sprite art, create the tiles and maps, compose the music, etc. so if you are knowledgeable in any of those things, keep an eye out because I’ll put out other calls like this one! I look forward to all of your submissions, and thank you all so much for helping me make this dream a reality!

Link to PDF with instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_4e8IOCbuqpnffRQwrkTeAHqj27Q9G9vGmd85B1shmE/export?format=pdf

Here are some of my (very rough) sketches of some ideas for the game:
The map of the region (currently un-named):
IMG_8966.jpg

Design for the "Shiny Ball", which turns the fakemon caught into a shiny:
IMG_8962.jpg

Design for the "EXP. Ball", which increases the experienced gained for the fakemon caught:
IMG_8963.jpg

Tentative layout of the starting town, with a working name of "Mosslet Town":
IMG_8961.jpg

Tentative layout of the Player's house:
IMG_8968.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix_Wings

Rookie
Hi everyone! We're still looking for artists, so please consider submitting your work. It would help out a lot!

Lex

Rookie
Hey! I'm interested, I just have a few questions/concerns.

Firstly- 200 is a lot of new pokémon. Maybe aiming at 100 for a start would be more reasonable? If you want quality design & artwork, you have to keep the quantity in check. What will end up happening if you have too many creatures is you'll need a lot more different people to design them and there will be visible differences in design style. 200 creatures is a lot for just 2 people, especially as this is a hobby (not paid) project.

Second, should the submissions be design suggestions (unfinished artwork showing off the design) or finished, rendered artwork? Creating that many finished pieces until August 1 is a bit tight and a huge time investment. Many, many hours to waste for those who do not end up getting the opportunity to collaborate further.

- Busy parent who works with illustration.

Phoenix_Wings

Rookie
Hey! I'm interested, I just have a few questions/concerns.

Firstly- 200 is a lot of new pokémon. Maybe aiming at 100 for a start would be more reasonable? If you want quality design & artwork, you have to keep the quantity in check. What will end up happening if you have too many creatures is you'll need a lot more different people to design them and there will be visible differences in design style. 200 creatures is a lot for just 2 people, especially as this is a hobby (not paid) project.

Second, should the submissions be design suggestions (unfinished artwork showing off the design) or finished, rendered artwork? Creating that many finished pieces until August 1 is a bit tight and a huge time investment. Many, many hours to waste for those who do not end up getting the opportunity to collaborate further.

- Busy parent who works with illustration.
Hi! Thanks so much for reaching out. I really appreciate the feedback, since this is my first time doing anything like this I don't have a good idea on how reasonable my goals are, so it's nice to hear from people who are more experienced!

I guess to clarify some of your points: My goal is 200 fakemon, since I'd like to have the region purely populated with the fakemon (like Gen 5), and that gives players a lot of choices, but I'd be willing to downsize if it was too much work. I hear you about it being a lot for just two people too. That was mostly just a rough estimate, it honestly depends upon how many people decide to submit work. If I get a fair amount of applications then I'd love to accept more than two people, and based on my goals, that seems like that might be for the best. If you are concerned about the work load, I would just like to assure you that there's no obligation to continue on with the project longer than you feel you want to, i.e. if you felt that the work was too time consuming and you couldn't fit it into your schedule, you don't have to stay; I'd love whatever help you could offer for any amount of time! I also don't have a set timeframe on when I'd like to get the game finished, so I'm totally fine with the fakemon design process taking a while. To your point about differences in design style, first of all, that wasn't something I had even considered (just goes to show you how new I am to all of this...) so I appreciate you bringing it up, and secondly, at this point in development I'm not super concerned about that. I figure if it becomes a problem, then we can try to figure out a way to combat it. My plan was to have there be collaboration between the different artists, and that that might mitigate some of that, as well as I can try to be mindful of that while looking at any submissions I do get. Again, I really appreciate you bringing these points up!

For your questions about the submissions: I totally understand that a finished, polished product would be time consuming. What you want to submit is totally up to you and your schedule. I would love for at least some of the artwork to be finished, but I'm totally okay with some or all of them being rougher and more unpolished sketches that showcase the design. My suggestion on this would be to chose the one design that you made that you like the most, and to more fully flesh out that one fakemon, and then leave the rest as showcases. Honestly, at this point, I'm more concerned about the style and design of the fakemon that are submitted than the amount of polish of the artwork, and the design is what I'll be using to decide upon submissions. Also, if you feel like the things that I ask for in the submission will take you longer than August 1st to do, I'm totally okay with extending the deadline! Feel free to message me here, or email me at fangamesubmissions@gmail.com and we can work something out.

I hope that I clarified some of your questions and concerns! If you have any other things that you'd like to ask me about, please don't hesitate to get in touch again. I hope you have a great rest of your week, and I'm looking forward to seeing your submissions if you decide to send them in!

Phoenix_Wings

Rookie
Hi all! We're still looking for artists to design fakemon for Pokemon Cloudburst. Please consider entering your work! Here is the link with the instructions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_4e8IOCbuqpnffRQwrkTeAHqj27Q9G9vGmd85B1shmE/export?format=pdf. As a reminder, the deadline is August 1st, but I understand that there isn't a lot of time between now and then, so if you'd like more time, feel free to email me at fangamesubmissions@gmail.com or just message me here and we can work something out. Thank you!

Phoenix_Wings

Rookie
Hello everyone! We’re still looking for artists to help design fakemon for Pokémon Cloudburst. I recognize that it’s super close to the deadline, so if you want to help out, just shoot me an email or message me and I’ll extend the deadline for you. We’d love to get more applications! Thanks so much!