Feedback Map Showcase

Discussion in 'Pokémon Fan Game Discussion' started by Deo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. leilou

leilou Elite Trainer member

I like it ... it's really basic but nice looking ... perfect for route 2 if you're starting with smaller towns. The only thing I don't like is that small 4 tiles behind the first stairs. It kinda looks off to me ...

2. Arma

Arma A Martian Hyena member

Well then, it sure has been a while since I last posted here. Allow me to present you Rumbleseed Village. I just felt like mapping today, and I'm rather proud of the final result. I think I might even use it as the starter town of my new game. As you can see, with an exit to both the north as the east side of the town, a cave and the entrance to a forest, there's plenty to explore here.
    Feedback is much appreciated. =D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. CloonieKing

CloonieKing Just a casual dude member

Very late reply, but I figured since no one had replied yet I may as well.

I mentioned this is discord I think, but I do very much like this map. It really does give off the feel of a starter town and you really have used the FR:LG tiles well. I mean, you even made a very distinct and clear treeline while using multiple types of trees.

My only real negatives have to do with how this map would actually work as a starter town. It looks like one, but I'm not so sure if it would play like one. Right off the bat it can lead to 4 different places, considering there will be a short time when the player won't have any pokemon, that is a lot of road blocks to set up. And even after they get their first pokemon, it would feel overwhelming to have 4 different paths open straight away. Maybe you could work the cave or forest into an intro sequence sort of thing, like where you have to go do something for the prof. in the cave or forest, and then you move on to one of the north or east exits afterwards, but even with that, it would only eliminate one path.

I think I may have rambled about that a bit much, aesthetically, this map is perfecto, loving the little bits of greenery growing on the side of the cliff.

4. Arma

Thank you! I understand that having 4 paths right off the bat will come across as confusing and overwhelming, but I think I got that covered.

First off, my region is rather prone to earthquakes, and a recent landslide has made the mountain pass north rather trecherous, especially for a novice trainer. The cave is rather small, and is actually of no particular interest in the early game, as you won't even encounter any wild Pokemon there.
    This basically leaves the forest and the eastern route, you'll get your first Pokemon for a certain quest in the woods. Once that's done, you can finally start your journey, venturing east!

I hope this makes some sense, I don't want to spoil too much of the story (possibly because I have yet to flesh it out), but I think this provides enough context for the map.

5. CloonieKing

CloonieKing Just a casual dude member

That sounds like a pretty solid idea, good to see you had already thought about it, i look forward to seeing this map come together in a playable game one day :)

6. AceTrainerGresh

AceTrainerGresh Novice member

The second route for a project i'm working on. It connects a forest near the first town to the second town.
    I'd really appreciate feedback on anything I can do to make it better.
    Tile Credits to @Aki@Aki, Sylver, and Phyromatical.

7. leilou

from the way the map is mapped it looks like the forest entrance is to the right ... so I'd cut the lower right part of the map. Also I'd make the forest entrance more obvious ... like having some trees around it go inwards and make it bigger ... right now it kinda looks like a weird tree shadow

8. Kostas

Kostas Novice member

Hey guys, it's been a while sine I last made a map but here it is! I already got some feedback but I would love to get some feedback from you too to see if there's anything to improve etc. This is again for my ROM hack and it's the 3rd town.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Gela likes this.
  9. leilou

I don't have any things on what to improve ... but there some things I like:
    it's simple enough so that you can't get lost even though it's not a small town
    the lake plus mountain cliff makes the town recognisable

10. xThatOneGuy

xThatOneGuy Rookie member

@AceTrainerGresh@AceTrainerGresh I like your map overall! In addition to @leilou@leilou's comments I would like to add that you might have overdone it a little on the tall grass, also the map could maybe be a little less linear so you would be able to explore a bit more! I like the way you did your cliffs they look very organic. However, they feel a little empty from time to time. Hope this feedback is usefull :)

@Kostas@Kostas There is little I do not like about your map, overall the town looks very well designed and simple enough to not get lost but big enough to keep the player interested! I like the lake in the middle, maybe make it acesible and add some sort of background story to it? idk. The one thing i think you could improve is that next to some of the houses, you use the small trees just to fill up space instead of trying to intergrate them in the map, so my advice would then be to use more small trees overall, or use none at all :)

EDIT: forgot I also wanted feedback for a map I made myself.

Burtel town is a town divided by a huge canyon. Luckily, there is an ancient stone bridge connecting the 2 halves. On the cliffsides one can see the layers off rock, reminders of past times. Scientist conclude the canyon must have been formed by flowing water millions of years ago. Today the water is not present. However, the fertile soil remained, the lively bottom of the canyon creating a contrast with the more or less dead top counter part of it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. leilou

I like the idea of the map and also the tileset(with exception of the bridge missing outlines ... it kinda was the first thing that striked my eyes)

Another thing I don't like is that you can see the house down in the canyon but there's no way to get there. So I'd probably like it more if the house weren't there so it feels more like a route.

There's also a tiling error: row 5 column 12 ... the wall has no connection to the mountain it may be column 11 that you need to fix though. Plus the wall 4 tiles to the right of it doesn't match the height of the layers on the left ... there's one layer too much(the bottom layer)

The bench on the bottom left of your map looks a bit strange also because it's hidden underneath the tree

I'm not sure if the way you did the multiple layer in one tile is the best ... the sides probably need a tile with all the side colors ...

12. Arma

While I mainly agree with Leilou here, I must add that diagonal paths don't make much sense in a place where the player can only walk in 4 directions. I like the details on the map, but the bones on the left sided of town look really out of place. They'd fit a lot more against the edges of the cliffs, rather than in the middle of a path

13. xThatOneGuy

xThatOneGuy Rookie member

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Although i do not agree with all of the points you mentioned (for instance the house down in the canyon and the diagonal walking part) i certainly am able to improve my map!

14. Aryan_975

Aryan_975 Rookie member

dude when will pokemon lunar get finish
    i have some req
    add gen 8 pokemon
    dont add fanmade pokemon
    make ride pokemon
    remove hms
    to kastos

15. theAcecelgor

theAcecelgor Novice member

There isn't gen 8 Pokemon yet