Feedback Map Showcase

Discussion in 'Pokémon Fan Game Discussion' started by Deo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Nyarth

Nyarth Novice member

@TechSkylander1518@TechSkylander1518 Thank you so much! I actually have Paint . Net, and I've been trying to get more into it for doing stuff like that. This will help a ton, so thank you!

TechSkylander1518 likes this.
  2. TechSkylander1518

TechSkylander1518 Wiki Dweeb member

I'm so glad I could help!

3. NtX

NtX Novice member

Hi, everyone, this is the reworked version of my Starter Town+Route 01, and I'd like some feedback on it!

TechSkylander1518 likes this.
  4. Kawaiiski

Kawaiiski Starving Bittersweet Artist member

I have a smaller screen now, so I have a bit more harder a time seeing small details, but in general, this is pretty good so far. Some of the trees edges are cut off, and you might want to add a few more tree rows near the biggest house in the starter town past the right side of the gate and maybe the route buildings for route 1. The waterfalls are a little confusing, where are they coming from exactly? I mean, I can see where they're coming from, but those water ponds seem a bit too small. Maybe the one in the starter town you can get away with, but the waterfall underneath the bridge seems pointless. I feel like something else may be missing, but that could be just me. :blush:

5. Streetie

Streetie Novice member

I love the tiles you've used for the maps. They seem so fresh and vibrant!

The maps are generally good I must say!
    Some things I noticed though are that the starter town seems a bit large for a starter town. You might've done this on purpose, but this can result in a confusing experience for players just starting in your game as they may not find their way easy enough around the town.I do really like the layout though of the town.
    Route 1 has basically the same "problem". It's the first route, so in my opinion it should be really straightforward. However, I can see this working out well if the player first has to traverse the forest(?) in the starter town.

And here's another bit of my opinion on your trees. I do like your trees, but I don't really like how the right edge of the tree is overlapping the left in the densely populated areas. I'd suggest trying out to remove the edges where trees touch each other and see if that looks okay(or better). I also see some transparent dashes over the tree tops. Is that on purpose or just the software you used, because itwill probably drive players crazy if that is on the trees all the time.

Overall, I must say I really do like the maps and tiles, so good work!

6. NtX

NtX Novice member

Hi, thanks for the tips, I quite like that the Starter Town is a bit bigger, It is more original, and I feel the same about Route 01 but I'll see what I can do! Though I really didn't get you with the transparent dashes?? Could you explain that to me??

7. Streetie

Streetie Novice member

Now I'm looking at it again, I can tell you there are no transparent dashes...
    It seemed that way at the treetops because of the shading and stuff. Sorry for the fright I might've given you by saying that.

8. NtX

NtX Novice member

Haha, actually kinda scared me, yeah :P

9. aquawu

aquawu Phoenix Team Leader member

This is the first town map that I've done, I want some feedback, please. It's the starting town in a game I'm trying to make(more on that later, I hope)

[​IMG]

leilou likes this.
  10. Streetie

Streetie Novice member

Hi there and welcome to RelicCastle!
    For a first map it's a solid start! However, there are certainly improvements to be made.
    Things I suggest on changing are the light green paths of grass. It's usually a lot prettier if these are the same width on the whole map. I also feel like there's a bit too much of that on the whole map, so maybe reduce the total amount of that.
    Also, in the bottom right there are some trees weirdly stacked on each other, this may be a style choice, but then I'd also apply it to other parts on the map. If it's not and you need something to fill that tile up, you may want to make the cliff 1 tile higher.
    Speaking of the cliff, it's conveniently straight right now if you know what I mean. I feel it would be more interesting if there'd be a bit more curves on the cliff.
    Now for the last suggestion I have, which is quite an important one. The upper part of the town looks really square, because the trees around make a perfect rectangle. If you fill the corners with trees and try to fill some parts up with the trees, the town will feel more unique because it has a unique shape then.

For a first map, you've done quite well and I feel like you can really improve on this with some practice. I hope this was helpful and wish you good luck with your project!

TechSkylander1518 and Aki like this.
  11. aquawu

Thank you for your feedback, I already started improving the map, I've removed the green path from the top and made it so it doesn't goes to the back of the lab. The trees on the bottom don't overlap anymore. I changed the lab to a prettier sprite, I started working on "route 1" (although I will improve the town more before finishing it) and I tried to change the cliff but wasn't really able to do it without looking weird, so I guess it will stay like that for now. The town is a little bit less square but I can't really change it much without having to rework half of the map, so I won't deal with that for now. Anyway, really apreciate your feedback, later today or early tomorrow I will post another screenshot of the town, so you all can see the improvements. Thanks again

Streetie likes this.
  12. aquawu

Okay, this is the second version of the map, I like it a little bit better, but I don't know if it's actually better

[​IMG]

Hematite likes this.
  13. leilou

leilou Elite Trainer member

normally ways lead to something and that empty space right / left of the houses is filled with decorations like flowers ... but I liked the map before more ... maybe just remove the lowest row of houses on the original map and your fine

14. aquawu

I added the path to the sides of the houses again, I'll leave the town as it is right now otherwise I will speand forever making it lol, not everything can be perfect. Gonna work on a forest now, do you think a mix of forest and mountain would be weird?

15. leilou

leilou Elite Trainer member

no it won't ... it depends on hoa you do it though

16. aquawu

So, this was a drag of a map, I think it's a pretty solid one, I intended to make it look like a very dense forest, probably the last map I'll ask for feedback for a while(don't wanna be too annoying)

[​IMG]

17. Sparta

Sparta Someone who does something. member

It's extremely empty. There are large open areas with nothing but open space. Which is bad. It's uninteresting and it's easy to lose track of where you are. I would definitely make the map a lot smaller, and add in some paths, flowers, rocks, basically some form of decoration so that there's something going on there, not just wide gaps of nothing.