Feedback Map Showcase

Arma

A Martian Hyena
Hello ! I'm quite new here, and to Pokemon fan games in general, so I'd like to get feedback and advice about my maps !
Here is the first one I made, and will be the starter town for my game :
Heya mate! First and foremost, welcome to the community!

That map looks AMAZING! I almost can't believe this is the first one you've made! They layout is clean, while still being visually really interesting. You get full marks on both gameplay and aesthetics.

The only two things I could remark is that the unaccessible house and the tall grass on the river bank are looking a bit out of place in such a small town, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Honestly, the real advice I can give you right now is to continue mapping like this. Looking forward to see more from you!

Blobfushi

100% Certified Snorlax

I've been working on this for a day or two. (I wanted to try out Gen 2-style mapping, since I've always leaned towards Gen 3 and Gen 4 styled maps in the past. (Those maps weren't any good anyways though, so not worth showing off.))
The big building is supposed to be an airport, but I haven't gotten to making any custom graphics yet.

Also hi this is my first time here :)

Arkenyx

Rookie
Heya mate! First and foremost, welcome to the community!

That map looks AMAZING! I almost can't believe this is the first one you've made! They layout is clean, while still being visually really interesting. You get full marks on both gameplay and aesthetics.

The only two things I could remark is that the unaccessible house and the tall grass on the river bank are looking a bit out of place in such a small town, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Honestly, the real advice I can give you right now is to continue mapping like this. Looking forward to see more from you!
Thank you for the feedback ! I'm glad you liked the map, and am pretty proud of it ! I, as you suggested replaced the unaccessible house with a regular one, and got rid of the tall grass !
Now i will continue mapping once i am done trying to work out these awful collisions errors and bugs i don't even understand and the overlapping elements. (I could use some help with that, if anyone could i'd greatly appreciate it)

somet22

Rookie
Hi, looking for a little bit of feedback on some maps.

Thought Here is a sort of mining museum, with tours and a gift shop. Stairs up are the entrance, exit are the stairs coming up.
Very Early Route.

sprout

Rookie

Thought Here is a sort of mining museum, with tours and a gift shop. Stairs up are the entrance, exit are the stairs coming up.
Very Early Route.
You did a great job on all of them. The only thing I personally dislike is how much less saturated your trees are compared to your water and buildings. Maybe if you made the trees a tiny bit more vibrant the map will blend better.

somet22

Rookie
Ah right, i forgot tileset credits, well i kinda liked them better than the standard LeafGreen FireRed. The Trees are Kyle-Doves.

Arkenyx

Rookie

Very Early Route.
I really like these maps, they are sized really well and look nice ! The only problem i found was this little strange part of the second map

Merlinn

Rookie
Hey this is my first time here and i just got to mapping recently. And i'd like some advice on my map.
I am not really a creative person so bear with me. I know that some part of the town looks empty. But i don't know what to fill the spaces with.

TechSkylander1518

Wiki Dweeb
I am not really a creative person so bear with me. I know that some part of the town looks empty. But i don't know what to fill the spaces with.
I think you did quite well for a first map! The borders where the water meets land have a very nice feel to them, almost like the natural curves a boundary like that would make! (I say "almost" only because there's no way to make it quite that realistic with a grid-based design, lol)

I agree that it does feel rather empty for a town, but I think it doesn't even have to be a town if you'd be willing to repurpose it. (There's been multiple routes where there was still a cluster of buildings located on them) And even if it has to stay a town, there's not really any rule that it shouldn't feel empty, y'know? Different towns and cities all have their own atmospheres to create, and maybe "quiet riverside town" could suit this one just fine-depending on what you're needing for your story, of course.

Am I correct in guessing that this is the starter town of your region? (Kinda looks to have the player house+rival house+lab setup) You might be just fine with this amount of buildings-there's typically not that much more in the player's hometown, and in games where there is a lot, it's often because they begin in a big city. So instead of buildings, maybe fill up the space with small, ornamental stuff-maybe patches of flowers here and there, or NPCs wandering the town. (Those islands could even have a couple fisherman hanging out on them)

Merlinn

Rookie
I think you did quite well for a first map! The borders where the water meets land have a very nice feel to them, almost like the natural curves a boundary like that would make! (I say "almost" only because there's no way to make it quite that realistic with a grid-based design, lol)

I agree that it does feel rather empty for a town, but I think it doesn't even have to be a town if you'd be willing to repurpose it. (There's been multiple routes where there was still a cluster of buildings located on them) And even if it has to stay a town, there's not really any rule that it shouldn't feel empty, y'know? Different towns and cities all have their own atmospheres to create, and maybe "quiet riverside town" could suit this one just fine-depending on what you're needing for your story, of course.

Am I correct in guessing that this is the starter town of your region? (Kinda looks to have the player house+rival house+lab setup) You might be just fine with this amount of buildings-there's typically not that much more in the player's hometown, and in games where there is a lot, it's often because they begin in a big city. So instead of buildings, maybe fill up the space with small, ornamental stuff-maybe patches of flowers here and there, or NPCs wandering the town. (Those islands could even have a couple fisherman hanging out on them)
Wow thanks for the feedback. And yes it is for the starter town. I think i am gonna take your advice and change it to a fishing village or some sort. Anyway thanks for the feedback i really needed it.

Arkenyx

Rookie
All right, i'm not really good i making routes so i was seeking for improvement... What do you think of this early game route ? What could be improved ? All that kind of stuff

TechSkylander1518

Wiki Dweeb
I think it's off to a great start! You've done a really good job including little decorations throughout the map that give it character without being overwhelming!

I think the only thing I would add is that the trainers are kind of positioned in a way where the player would actively have to seek them out to battle them. Apart from the guy by the cave and the blond girl in the grass, everyone's looking away from where the player would typically travel through, so the player would have to actively get in front of them to start a battle, while most games make the player work more to avoid battles. (Of course, this being a still image, I have no idea what movement you have planned for them)

Arkenyx

Rookie
Thank you for your reply ! I had trouble rendering evnents with my screen capture script, so that's why most of htem face downwards, but the youngster, the backpacker and the first guy on the beach will be facing the player and you will have to battle them.

TechSkylander1518

Wiki Dweeb
It looks like a pretty good start! I think that lower portion is what's making it feel empty-even if it's meant to just be a trench, maybe include some minor decorations to make it feel more natural.

bjfinest34

Creator of Pokémon Stratus Dreams
this is the starting town for pokemon gallium it's called Quivler town
This map looks good, yet the long paths make the town look a lot bigger than it should be. I like how you use the mountain tiles to fill in the open space towards the top of the map.

Otherwise, I just have one question. How did you get a screenshot of your map without the square grid in RGXP? I've been trying to figure that out for a while.

TheBarmyBrit

Novice
This is an early dungeon I am working on, accessible after the player has beaten the first gym. Thoughts?

TechSkylander1518

Wiki Dweeb
this is the starting town for pokemon gallium it's called Quivler town
I think it's looking pretty good so far! I like how you have different kinds of houses that still seem to fit a style together-it feels more realistic than the typical uniform buildings!

I do notice a couple things I would change, though:
  • Most of your buildings have paths leading to their doors, but two of them don't. (The middle one on the left and the lower one on the right)
  • The building on the upper right's path is formed just by being on the path, while the other buildings are off of it. I think it'd fit better being pushed back just a tad. (there's even some space with the tree line's gap there)

Otherwise, I just have one question. How did you get a screenshot of your map without the square grid in RGXP? I've been trying to figure that out for a while.
Take a picture while in eventing mode!
This is an early dungeon I am working on, accessible after the player has beaten the first gym. Thoughts?
That color scheme seems pretty neat! (I'm a big fan of tiles that vary from the typical colors in routes-I know it's not often realistic, but I think adding color and fantasy elements is more enjoyable than staying realistic the whole time)

I think the gap between your maroon floor and grey floor tiles is a bit jarring, though. I know it's important to have tiles you don't walk on be clearly distinct from the ones you do, but it seems odd to have a totally different color like that. I'd personally just use a grey darker than the tiles you walk on-it'd look more like the ground is the same throughout the forest while still making it clear which parts aren't accessible.