Feedback Map Showcase

Discussion in 'Pokémon Fan Game Discussion' started by Deo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. West

West New in Town member

2. Mr. Gela

Mr. Gela Wahee! kied

3. 78cabbage

78cabbage Gen 7 Hater member

Looking for feedback on the (almost) final product for Riverview Village. I've annotated a few things that I'm already planning on changing once I continue with making more tiles for myself, and as you can see I've drastically reduced the distance between the cave and the town.

1. Planning on redecorating here with more tiles when I make them (by the way, that's a gate with the fences)
    2. Gonna change this bush into a more natural one, rather than being in a plant pot
    3. Might add some form of fences here
    4. Gonna add some little trees or something here
    Also, I will definitely add some form of entrance sign thingy to the entrance of the village.

4. West

West New in Town member

5. leilou

leilou Elite Trainer member

Well it's gotten a lot better in comparison to the first version. I still think what I said about the different decorations could be improved ... but that's up to the creator
    It really is a lovely map :)

6. West

West New in Town member

7. DavidTIS

DavidTIS Rookie member

Not bad, but I think it could use some improvements. For example, it's so squared it doesn't seem natural. I'd suggest to try and round the shore a bit. I can also see a bush in the middle of a paved surface and ot doesn't make sense. Last but not least, I think it's too big for its purpose. In other words, it looks like you made it big because you wanted it to be big, but it's kind of empty.

Good luck with it :)

8. Shorthorn Studios

Shorthorn Studios Hi member

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  9. Aurocle

Aurocle Rookie member

I think changing the bush is a good idea, but adding the fences in just that spot seems kinda odd, I think it's fine without unless you wanna add more fences on the right side? Otherwise it looks great ^^------------------------
    Need some work on that tree placement cause it looks super unnatural at the moment.

10. Nyarth

Nyarth Novice member

I haven't posted in this thread in so long! I've missed it!
    So my map exporter wasn't being kind, and there's about a trillion clipping issues. The missing/overlapping tiles are because of the exporter, and the miscoloured ones are my fault lol

This map is actually around in the "starter town" area. I've always wanted a unique starter town lol

11. Aki

Aki the north staryu aki

The Austurn Cape Pathway looks pretty, but I'm not sure I understand the flow of movement a player is suppossed to have here...For the most part it looks a bit too open in places where the player would need some direction, I think adding more tall grass patches as obstacles instead of only being along the edges would help. Are there any trainers planned for this area, or is it planned for some kind of important cutscene?

12. Shorthorn Studios

Well, it looks very nice and more 3D than most maps. BUT you might want to check if your tileset it JPG. JPG are known to be hard to recolour. PNG is what I would use. Remove any black borders please as players might surf on the water and see those. There is a water overlap issue. Apart from those, the trees look Gen 4-esc and are brilliant.

13. Nyarth

Nyarth Novice member

Thank you guys so much for your kind words and critiques! This thread is really awesome.

I see your point! It looks awkwardly empty and open in certain areas. I’ve added more grass and such to make the pathway more apparent.

Yeah, there’s no trainers here. It’s for a story-event mostly!

I don’t think I know what you’re talking about here. Are you talking about the tileset’s transparency?

This is really early game, so the player has no access to Surf yet. They probably won’t be able to return to this area either later on :P

14. Shorthorn Studios

I did not know about the surf

it looks like a JPG due to the strange bitmap issues like strange squares. What file extension did you save it as (JPG, PNG)------------------------Looks 3D and good, you might want to add fences there at number 3

15. Nyarth

Nyarth Novice member

It's saved as PNG. I think by "strange squares" you mean the missing ones/overlapped ones scattered over the map, but those don't have to do with the actual tileset but are because my map exporter was being mean xD

16. Kostas

Kostas Novice member

So I decided to try to work on another ROM hack and this is my first try of the first town. Any opinion/idea to make it better or something? Also, pls ignore the tree shadows/tile errors. I'll fix these later
    [​IMG]

17. leilou

leilou Elite Trainer member

Nice map. I like the way you used the flowers, stumps, lamps and fences to decorate.

I'd probably consider to shift everything above and including the lower stairs on the top left one down ... because that one grass row beneath seems kinda pointless and boring. Maybe 2 if it is necessairy for the trees to proberly allign. I also feel like the beach could use a bit of a mock up ... maybe have it not be a line towards the sea or have some more decorations. Also the sea seems to be pretty open ... so I'd place some obstacles there.

18. Kostas

Kostas Novice member

Hey, thanks for your comments! I made some changes btw since that time. I think it looks better but again, I think I can improve it more.
    [​IMG]

19. Streetie

Streetie Novice member

Hey there!

I really like how you've improved the map. Especially what you did with the beach is nice. Now it doesn't look so static anymore.
    Also, changing the ground on the cliff above the beachhouse from dirt to grass was a good call.
    I think your map is turing out to be great! If I were to suggest 1 change, it would be to shift the Pokemon lab(?) up by 1 tile, so it covers the cliff, because I find that line of grass to be awkward looking there.

Now, I haven't been active and working on my own game for quite a while, but I have just started again and wanted some feedback on one of the map that I've been working on today.

It is a large route featuring high cliffs. Due to these cliffs, a thick fog is usually present, which has caused the amount of life to decrease in the area. It is populated by mainly Vullaby/Mandibuzz and Ghost type Pokemon, but also some Pokemon that live in swamp have made it their home. Do you think the aesthetics of the map are interesting enough for the player to walk through? Is it original enough?

I think the gameplay in this route is quite interesting. To progress the story, the player can easily take the top route with the bridge, which doesn't include any obstacles. It is easy to traverse and I hope the fog around the bridge will convey a feeling of mystery for the player about what exactly is happening under the bridge. The player can also choose to explore the "swamp"-like area to train his/her team and to find some powerful items. Also, there will be a secret cave entrance under the bridge including a nice surprise for the player(Wayward cave anyone?). Now, I think that this part of the route is harder to traverse, because it is more cramped up, the player has to change movements a lot and there is an unremovable fog, which reduces the sight of the player. I'm just wondering whether this will hurt the map too badly, considering it is an extra route specifically for training and not traversing, which means the trainer will choose himself to go there.

Finally, I would like to know what you would change about this map if you were allowed to improve it. Thanks for taking your time to read this and I can't wait for feedback from you guys! Any feedback is welcome!

20. Arkenyx

Arkenyx Rookie member

Hello ! I'm quite new here, and to Pokemon fan games in general, so I'd like to get feedback and advice about my maps !
    Here is the first one I made, and will be the starter town for my game :
    ------------------------
    I think that the map looks quite interesting ! I don't know how the interacts with the player, which is a really important thing considering it's one of the maps most improtant particularity, but it is definetly a thing i'd like to see in a fangame. As for the fact that it is completly optional, I think a way to make the player go check it out would be with npcs building up some hype about it, and even place a special event a the very en of the swamp like path, something really special, to reward the player from going down there. That's all i can say, since I myself am not the most amazing mapper you can find, I don't see any issues with the map and find the concept interesting (apart from the fact it looks messy from a wide angle,but it probably won't when playing so that is not something you need to worry about).