Feedback Project Sandbox

Juneberry

Plutonian Berry
Personally, unless you have a plan in mind already for the antagonists, I think it’d be good to try another angle for them. Look at the antagonists of Sun and Moon, for example-even though they weren’t really concerned with the cover legendary themselves, their plot still connected to it. A similar thing could happen here-the antagonists’ main goal doesn’t have to be all about the player, but the player’s abilities could still come into play. (Maybe they’re abusing Pokemon in private and the player’s abilities alert them to it?)
Most of the concerns will mostly noted in cutscenes. I'm also debating if I might make a secondary confusion state based on the health of both sides causing the player to misspeak often, etc.
As for the idea on the antagonist...That's a great idea! Thanks for the plan <3

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Ever since i have learned about Pokemon Essentials and Pokemon Fan Games late last year... i have come up with my own Fan Game concept based on the question; "If i could Create a Pokemon Game, what would it be like?"

Well. the answer is quite simple, it would be HUGE, it would have all the Mechanics that i have liked from previous Generations and hopefully will have a few of my own woven into a Tapestry of Pokemon awesomeness!

Enter POKEMON "WORLD" (subject to change if i can find a better name that fits... lol)

Now it is currently still in R&D right now, meaning i am writing the Story, planning the features... learning how to use Essentials... lol (wish that was a joke... AHEM!)
That being said, i have a TON of features that i wish to announce here on this Forum Thread, and they are as follows:

Travel to ALL Regions from the ENTIRE Franchise, Including an All-New Original Region!

Trainer Customization from Gen 6, with (hopefully) tons of outfits!

Ride Pokemon from Gen 7, INCLUDING being able to choose which Pokemon you Ride, no more HMs... WOOT!

Along with Trainer Customization you can Customize your Pokemon too, give them Accessories to Wear or even Pokemon safe, Pain Free Tattoos!

Contests return on a Global Scale, Show off your Pokemon in Style!

151 New Fakemon to join the ranks of the 800+ Original Pokemon, Along with More Boxes to store your Pokes!

1 New Legendary Pokemon that YOU the Player can Create, Orpheos the Dream Child Pokemon!

For the First time since Gen 3, face 2 Evil Teams instead of 1, or Join them to change the fate of the World!

Play Minigames based on many different Pokemon!

Fight in Single, Double, Triple, Rotation, Sky, Sea and Royale Battles!

Customize your own Secret Base and/or your own House/Mansion in Trainer Town!

Become more than JUST a Pokemon Trainer, get Jobs and build Careers, even strive to become a Gym Leader!

Battle all of the series' Protagionists, Antagonists and Gym Leaders!

Compete in Leaderboards to see who is the REAL Pokemon Master!

Complete a Poke-Survey to decide what kind of Trainer you are, making it EASIER or HARDER to get High IV Pokemon based on Type Affinity!

No More Silent Protagonist! Choose a Nice, Snarky or Mean response to various conversations!

Online Battles along with Trading and Wonder Trade, Post Game Update Only as i want to Finish the Main Game First.

Choose your Rivals and Friends from your Classmates at the start of the Game, Befriend or be a Lone Wolf, your choice!

Holiday Forms for Pokemon with new Abilities and Moves, End Game Content for the Ages!

and more... (Depending on what else i dream up. lol)

So, Feedback is Welcome and Appreciated, but please be gentle.
Progress:
Story - ??%
Concept - 100% (Maybe...)

NOTE: i didnt feel that this belonged in Progressing Projects since i have nothing to show everybody as of yet, but if you all feel it belongs there anyway i will repost.

Dragonite

The cake is a lie, so give it to me
Well. the answer is quite simple, it would be HUGE.
Unsure whether I want go down this rabbit hole, but . . . I'm not sure how optimistic I'd be about this.

1. How much time do you have? Do you plan to complete this before the heat death of the universe?
2. How many people are you working with?
3, How much experience do you have? Have you ever made a Pokémon game, or any game at all? How much experience do your teammates have? Do you know how to implement the things you want to implement?
4. Have you ever heard the expression "promising everything and delivering nothing?"
5. Are you just throwing around industry buzzwords for the sake of doing so? Be honest.

TheGamingPaladin

Unsure whether I want go down this rabbit hole, but . . . I'm not sure how optimistic I'd be about this.

1. How much time do you have? Do you plan to complete this before the heat death of the universe?
2. How many people are you working with?
3, How much experience do you have? Have you ever made a Pokémon game, or any game at all? How much experience do your teammates have? Do you know how to implement the things you want to implement?
4. Have you ever heard the expression "promising everything and delivering nothing?"
5. Are you just throwing around industry buzzwords for the sake of doing so? Be honest.

1. well i'm going to be optimistic and not believe in the end of the world/universe so i believe i have at least a decade to finish. XD

2. i am running solo atm but i am willing to team up if anybody offers, i dont need to hog all the spotlight, just a little. :P

3. while it's true that i dont have any "complete" experience prior, i have been fiddling with RPG Maker off and on for years, so i'm not hopelessly noobish. lol but to be fair idk how to code so if i cant learn it i imagine help will have to come from somewhere, in the meantime there are tutorials a plenty to help me. :)

4. yes, and i HATE when people do that, which is why i can tell you that i wont "Cancel" this project, except in the event of Nintendo issuing a C&D.

5. no, i am definitely not just throwing buzzwords around, i want to create a really awesome Pokemon Fan Game, and while idk how i'll do on my own, i believe that with communication and feedback from the community, i can accomplish most if not ALL of what i promise.

Evan

in another life, Starrcasm
So.

I have no choice but to applaud your optimism. You've got the idea in your head of what the perfect Pokemon fangame that you want to make is, and you've managed to get that all down on paper. That's a lot more than most of us can say for ourselves.

But you've definitely put a TON of stuff on your plate! Not only are there things that will just practically take a very long time, but also mechanics that would take a skilled hand at coding to implement. Now, obviously this is not impossible, but as you're just learning Essentials, it does seem like it's a long way off from coming to fruition.

But I'm not going to tell you to give up on your dream. Your ambition is inspiring and reminds me of where I was at many years ago. My advice is as follows: Pick smaller projects to learn the necessary skills. Rome was not built in a day, and the people that built the Colosseum had to start making shacks first. I think Pokemon "World" is a great thing to aim for, but I definitely recommend aiming for slightly less lofty goals as stepping stones for both your own learning, and so we as a community can see and celebrate what you can do as a creator.

...Also a legendary that the player can create sounds dope.

Best of luck to you.

TheGamingPaladin

So.

I have no choice but to applaud your optimism. You've got the idea in your head of what the perfect Pokemon fangame that you want to make is, and you've managed to get that all down on paper. That's a lot more than most of us can say for ourselves.

But you've definitely put a TON of stuff on your plate! Not only are there things that will just practically take a very long time, but also mechanics that would take a skilled hand at coding to implement. Now, obviously this is not impossible, but as you're just learning Essentials, it does seem like it's a long way off from coming to fruition.

But I'm not going to tell you to give up on your dream. Your ambition is inspiring and reminds me of where I was at many years ago. My advice is as follows: Pick smaller projects to learn the necessary skills. Rome was not built in a day, and the people that built the Colosseum had to start making shacks first. I think Pokemon "World" is a great thing to aim for, but I definitely recommend aiming for slightly less lofty goals as stepping stones for both your own learning, and so we as a community can see and celebrate what you can do as a creator.

...Also a legendary that the player can create sounds dope.

Best of luck to you.
thank you Evan, and i know i have put a lot down on my plate, but i am a man who always finishes what's on his plate, i can prove it by showing a belly pic. lol

joking aside, i cant do little projects, i have tried time and again to do that, and i give up because i dont have the passion nor the motivation for it. but now i feel with Pokemon Essentials at my disposal, i can make a huge fan game that i would have passion for, as i been a Pokemaniac since Red version back on the gameboy.

so while i appreciate your advice, i must dismiss said advice, for as Naruto would say: "it's not my ninja way!"

Sparta

Someone who does something.
thank you Evan, and i know i have put a lot down on my plate, but i am a man who always finishes what's on his plate.
With all due respect, I've heard that time and time again. Look, I get that you want to make a huge fan-game - literally everyone does - But a lot of what you're wanting to do is just way too ambitious, even for someone with a lot of Essentials experience.

-All regions + an original region. That's a lot. Like, seriously. And I doubt it'll work. There's just too many issues to deal with. Like level balancing and such. If you don't alter the level system, you'll likely end up at all Lv100 after the second region. Kinda dulls out the following six regions. And then there's RPG Maker XP's 999 map limit. I honestly don't think it's possible to have eight regions in 999 maps.

-800+ original Pokemon and 151 Fakemon. That's... over the top, if you ask me. You'd have almost 1,000 different Pokemon, and I feel that a lot of the Fakemon would just get overshadowed or feel out of place in a game that contains all Pokemon. Or vise-versa if you started out in the original region with the Fakemon. You'd see a whole lotta new stuff, and then everything else are Pokemon that we already know. It'd feel a bit underwhelming.

-Branching paths - Jobs, careers, Gym Leaders, choosing rivals, siding with evil teams, etc. It's a cool concept. I think a lot of fan-games start out aiming to do this, but don't understand just how much of an undertaking this is. It's a lot of work to make a single game, let alone a single game with multiple pathways. Especially with a game to this scale with a proposed 'all regions'. It multiplies the work load several dozen times.

I think you should take the advice mentioned previously and try to make a smaller, shorter game with early versions of what features you want to include in this massive game. That way, you can see what you can do, get some practice. I know that you say you can't get motivated for a smaller project, but it's highly likely you'll lose motivation pretty early in development on this larger game. Trust me, I've been there. Everyone has. Everyone starts out with an image of their completed project and all the amazing features and all the fame it's accrued. But they never really understand just how hard it is until they actually start making it.

My recommendation is to just to scale it down. Work with something smaller. Because, and I'm not aiming to be rude or mean or discouraging whatsoever, but at this time I just don't see this working out. I've seen almost identical games proposed before, and they always fall flat. The devs want too much, and they just aren't capable of doing it. Even if they say they are. So I'm just saying that it'd probably be better if you make something shorter first to get your hands dirty rather than just jumping into this.

TheGamingPaladin

With all due respect, I've heard that time and time again. Look, I get that you want to make a huge fan-game - literally everyone does - But a lot of what you're wanting to do is just way too ambitious, even for someone with a lot of Essentials experience.

-All regions + an original region. That's a lot. Like, seriously. And I doubt it'll work. There's just too many issues to deal with. Like level balancing and such. If you don't alter the level system, you'll likely end up at all Lv100 after the second region. Kinda dulls out the following six regions. And then there's RPG Maker XP's 999 map limit. I honestly don't think it's possible to have eight regions in 999 maps.

-800+ original Pokemon and 151 Fakemon. That's... over the top, if you ask me. You'd have almost 1,000 different Pokemon, and I feel that a lot of the Fakemon would just get overshadowed or feel out of place in a game that contains all Pokemon. Or vise-versa if you started out in the original region with the Fakemon. You'd see a whole lotta new stuff, and then everything else are Pokemon that we already know. It'd feel a bit underwhelming.

-Branching paths - Jobs, careers, Gym Leaders, choosing rivals, siding with evil teams, etc. It's a cool concept. I think a lot of fan-games start out aiming to do this, but don't understand just how much of an undertaking this is. It's a lot of work to make a single game, let alone a single game with multiple pathways. Especially with a game to this scale with a proposed 'all regions'. It multiplies the work load several dozen times.

I think you should take the advice mentioned previously and try to make a smaller, shorter game with early versions of what features you want to include in this massive game. That way, you can see what you can do, get some practice. I know that you say you can't get motivated for a smaller project, but it's highly likely you'll lose motivation pretty early in development on this larger game. Trust me, I've been there. Everyone has. Everyone starts out with an image of their completed project and all the amazing features and all the fame it's accrued. But they never really understand just how hard it is until they actually start making it.

My recommendation is to just to scale it down. Work with something smaller. Because, and I'm not aiming to be rude or mean or discouraging whatsoever, but at this time I just don't see this working out. I've seen almost identical games proposed before, and they always fall flat. The devs want too much, and they just aren't capable of doing it. Even if they say they are. So I'm just saying that it'd probably be better if you make something shorter first to get your hands dirty rather than just jumping into this.
alright, i can see what you are saying, i'll see what i can do about it, though i'll be honest with you, i'm awfully stubborn, i believe i ran into you at PokeCommunity, back when i was thinking about putting this game on MV, that was a mistake just from seeing all the scripts in Essentials.

Sparta

Someone who does something.
alright, i can see what you are saying, i'll see what i can do about it, though i'll be honest with you, i'm awfully stubborn, i believe i ran into you at PokeCommunity, back when i was thinking about putting this game on MV, that was a mistake just from seeing all the scripts in Essentials.
I mean, maybe you did run into me there. I used to be there as well.

But, overall, whether you take the advice is up to you. If you really just want to jump right into it, then go ahead.

TheGamingPaladin

I mean, maybe you did run into me there. I used to be there as well.

But, overall, whether you take the advice is up to you. If you really just want to jump right into it, then go ahead.
and i'm just saying that i respect that you're trying to help, so if i dont listen you shouldnt take it personal, like i said i am a very stubborn dude. :P

Snewper

"IDOLA" the Evil Carnation
Been toying around with this idea for the longest time, and thought I'd bring it up again for opinions and suggestions for even more refinement:
Game Title - P.A.R.T. The Evolution - Hero Side (League)/Dark Side (Team Paradox)

Blurb -
With the crowning of the new Champion of the Maltal Region, Alvus Sinclaire, a new, League-approved way of Pokemon Battling has begun. Using P.A.R.T. (Pokemon Alternate Reality Tarot) technology, trainers now take part in battles where Pokemon can be customized to their liking without all the hassle of maintaining a real Pokemon. However, P.A.R.T.s have a dark secret... a double meaning...

P.A.R.T.s require an actual Pokemon to compress into it, meaning that the Pokemon that is compressed into the P.A.R.T. will only become a shell of their former self; emotionless and undeniably obedient to their trainer's will. Arlana Perul, former Champion of the Maltal Region and now current leader of a resistance force dubbed Team Paradox, seeks to liberate these P.A.R.T. Pokemon from their card confinement, and restore the bonds of trust between trainers and Pokemon. She seeks the legendary Zygarde for help to bring back the dying ecosystem's population of Pokemon, as well as to rain its wrath on the League for its unethical practices. However, Alvus seeks Zygarde to make it into a P.A.R.T. as well, and to solidify his dictatorship over the people of Maltal.

Join the League or Team Paradox in an epic battle to determine the fate of the Maltal Region!

Other Lore Details -
Team Paradox is actually just a team of freedom fighters; they've been given that name to smear a bad reputation on them by the League.

The League is essentially the region's government, with the Champion as their ruler. Every so often, League battles are held to determine a new Champion/ruler.

Zygarde will be the main legendary of the game to obtain, prominently featured alongside Alvus's Shiny Mega Zekrom and Arlana's Shiny Mega Reshiram.

This fan game will be taking place 20 years after the latest releases, Sun and Moon, so in a distant future.
It is also 15 years after the events of a prequel I have planned, but more on that later...

Notable Features:

New League and Paradox Mega Stones for even more options!
All Pokemon (Up to Gen 7) + Custom Fakemon and Megas to play with!
New protagonists, Jacob and Alice, will be brought into the conflict (courtesy of my DA pal BlissfulRouzes)!
Fight for the League or Team Paradox in this dual release! Your choice will determine the fate of the Maltal Region!
Beware of the Mercenaries Association, many members who you will find fighting and changing sides frequently!
An open door to feedback and suggestions for the game and content as it develops! Everything shall be considered to make for the most optimal experience on the first release!

There might be more I'm forgetting, but this is the basic gist of it...

TheGamingPaladin

interesting, so the theme is like Monster Rancher Battle Card meets Pokemon with a dark twist and some path choices, i gotta say i'm interested.

Snewper

"IDOLA" the Evil Carnation
interesting, so the theme is like Monster Rancher Battle Card meets Pokemon with a dark twist and some path choices, i gotta say i'm interested.
Interestingly enough, the idea sprouted from an old 2003/04 Gamecube title I played a little bit of: Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution (it's still in my possession). Just by looking at the title, you can see where a lot of the inspiration came from. I'm glad to see that you're interested in this idea though! If you have any ideas or suggestions, we're still in the early stages of development (i.e. there's not really any maps done yet, but I'm hoping to get it so maps work like Colosseum/XD, aka no routes)! Any help will be appreciated and considered, as I've stated before.

TheGamingPaladin

Interestingly enough, the idea sprouted from an old 2003/04 Gamecube title I played a little bit of: Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution (it's still in my possession). Just by looking at the title, you can see where a lot of the inspiration came from. I'm glad to see that you're interested in this idea though! If you have any ideas or suggestions, we're still in the early stages of development (i.e. there's not really any maps done yet, but I'm hoping to get it so maps work like Colosseum/XD, aka no routes)! Any help will be appreciated and considered, as I've stated before.
i had PSO EP 3, i thought it was fascinating while most ppl disliked the shift from Action/RPG to TBS/RPG, a bit overlooked but a nice new way to play Pokemon.

i cant say i have any ideas or suggestions, but you can be assured you have at least one Pokemaniac that will be wanting to try it.

OrreMIDI

AKA Fakemon123
Hey guys, I was playing through B2W2 and I was obsessed with Pokestar Studios. I thought it was really fun and I enjoyed the stories a lot. It made me come up with an idea for a game that might be a fun and easy way for me to start getting used to creating a game that is playable and it could teach me a lot before I actually try to release a full fangame. My idea was a game similar to Aki's Bonfire Stories, in the sense that the game will have many different small stories that you will play through. It would be based off the movies from Pokestar Studios, and you'd star out in a large room where different characters from the movies hang out and offer to show you their movies. For example, if you were talking to the Mecha Cop from Full Metal Cop, he would immerse you in the storyline of full metal cop, you playing the part of the Sneasel Ninja. Since the movies don't have a whole lot of storyline in them I could add a bit of my own touch to each of them. For example, I could add how you escape the Mecha Cop's clutches and your adventures finding his sister. I was also planning on making the game have choices matter incorporated. Since the original Pokestar Studios had different endings depending on what you did in the game, each storyline would too. For example, if you defeat the Mecha Cop, you would have to fight the defense mechanism in the lab instead of being taken to jail, etc. This is all just an idea right now but I think it would be a small manageable project that would give me more experience before attempting a full game, and so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would work well with this, and if anyone would actually play this game or if I'm just delusional. Thanks in advance!

TechSkylander1518

Wiki Dweeb
I would definitely play a game like that! The movies had some really interesting plotlines, but I feel like we didn't get to explore as much as them as I'd liken (especially when you didn't know the plot until you saw the film), so I'd love to get to go deeper into them!

Djaco75

MasterMind
Hey guys, I was playing through B2W2 and I was obsessed with Pokestar Studios. I thought it was really fun and I enjoyed the stories a lot. It made me come up with an idea for a game that might be a fun and easy way for me to start getting used to creating a game that is playable and it could teach me a lot before I actually try to release a full fangame. My idea was a game similar to Aki's Bonfire Stories, in the sense that the game will have many different small stories that you will play through. It would be based off the movies from Pokestar Studios, and you'd star out in a large room where different characters from the movies hang out and offer to show you their movies. For example, if you were talking to the Mecha Cop from Full Metal Cop, he would immerse you in the storyline of full metal cop, you playing the part of the Sneasel Ninja. Since the movies don't have a whole lot of storyline in them I could add a bit of my own touch to each of them. For example, I could add how you escape the Mecha Cop's clutches and your adventures finding his sister. I was also planning on making the game have choices matter incorporated. Since the original Pokestar Studios had different endings depending on what you did in the game, each storyline would too. For example, if you defeat the Mecha Cop, you would have to fight the defense mechanism in the lab instead of being taken to jail, etc. This is all just an idea right now but I think it would be a small manageable project that would give me more experience before attempting a full game, and so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what would work well with this, and if anyone would actually play this game or if I'm just delusional. Thanks in advance!
Sounds really interesting. I feel like people would appreciate the game for its originality, not just the actual content, not to mention how good Pokestar Studios was! I like the concept of having several mini adventures, and if you decide to go ahead with it, I'll surely play it!

OrreMIDI

AKA Fakemon123
I would definitely play a game like that! The movies had some really interesting plotlines, but I feel like we didn't get to explore as much as them as I'd liken (especially when you didn't know the plot until you saw the film), so I'd love to get to go deeper into them!
My thoughts exactly! Sounds like I'm going to go on with this, thanks!

Sounds really interesting. I feel like people would appreciate the game for its originality, not just the actual content, not to mention how good Pokestar Studios was! I like the concept of having several mini adventures, and if you decide to go ahead with it, I'll surely play it!
Thank you! Since so many people seem to like the idea I'm going to go on with it! Can't wait to release it!

Lunavis

Chandelure is best lamp
Just some random things for mah fangame that i would like some criticism on.

some city names

#1 razeé city
#2 kalava city
#3 graden city
#4 spiriton city
#5 damago city
#6 umbrana city
#7 telaphia city
#8 sparkon city

and gym leaders to go with corresponding cities

#1 gregory
Water type
#2 foclore
Fire type
#3 arden
Grass type
#4 ghalania
Ghost type
#5 sturdon
Steel type
#6 silencar
Dark type
#7 kilaria
Psychic type
#8 ferrectus
Electric type

Try and find ways to improve them as well. Thx

Dragonite

The cake is a lie, so give it to me
#2 foclore
Fire type
If this dude's theme isn't "people toasting marshmallows over a camp fire" I will be disappointed.

Also doesn't it feel a bit repetitive to have a bloke named Arden live in a town called Garden? :P