1. Deo

Deo Thread Author Working on stuff! deo

Feedback Project Sandbox

Discussion in 'Progressing Projects' started by Deo, Mar 9, 2017.

Welcome to the Project Sandbox!

The concept of this thread is simple: post something for feedback, and or give feedback to others. If you want to get some quick feedback on plot ideas or game design elements before you even start your game or if you have a thread, this is the place to do so. If you're thinking about starting your own thread for your project but need some help determining if your first post is up snuff, this is also an ideal place for you to do that too.

Please keep the following in mind while using this thread:
    • If you notice something that has been posted but hasn't received any feedback, please consider providing the poster with some form of feedback before you move onto later posts.
    • Put some thought and effort into your feedback. While not all short feedback is bad, generally you want to make sure you're offering something worthwhile to the person requesting feedback.
    • On a similar note, make sure what you're requesting feedback on has some substance to it. You don't have to provide multiple paragraphs explaining your idea, but don't be vague and leave nothing for anyone to comment on!
    • Be respectful and civil. This thread isn't an excuse to be rude to another person or to tell them their idea is bad, be helpful instead.
    While this thread is meant for general feedback, Relic Castle also has other threads for feedback on screenshots, maps, and such. If what you're seeking feedback on is more suited there, please post it in the appropriate thread:

2. Taquilla

Taquilla Sandwich Master member

Is it possible I can get suggestions for my region's villian team because I can't really find a motive for them. They somehow are related to the legendarys maybe (which represent Cold and hot temp) and there theme is very technological.

3. Dawn Bronze

Dawn Bronze Too many ideas, why me ubdawnbronze

@Taquillastudios@Taquillastudios Well, as easy option would be just to go with changing the temperature, although that's probably a little too much like the story in rse. Thinking about the scientific element to their design, how about they want to catch the legendaries and use their powers over temperature to aid them in their experiments? Maybe they have a good goal (or at least they started out with one), but by capturing the Pokemon and exploiting it's power, the Pokemon looses control and goes on a rampage, leading to the player having to capture it to save the region. I think something like that might work!

4. Sparta

Sparta Someone who does something. member

First thing I could think of is that they want to control the weather. Perhaps they want to use the Legendaries power to create a device that can alter the weather? I don't know.

5. Taquilla

The thing is though that they maybe want the legendaries, I kinda want to make them not repetitive and have there goal interesting, and so then then the main villian is interesting and relatable (like N or Lysandre but with good grunts).

6. Nitron

Nitron ZenisBlaze member

I decided for my game that I would replace Primarina with another Evolution and make a lapras prevolution, and also here are Tarturcaf and Flamabull. Tell me what you think.
    PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK I NEED IT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. Ras

Ras Rookie member

What if:
    a) They live in a very hot place and they want to change their weather
    b) A relative of their boss has a little sister that suffers from a high cold, where even warming her can't do it, so they have to change the temperature of all the surroundings to heal her.
    c) They live in a place where there's no snow. Kids from their home town always wanted to play with snow so they felt like.
    d) A Pokemon of Cold/Hot attacked them and they want a Pokemon of Hot/Cold to payback.

8. Mr. Gela

Mr. Gela Wahee! kied

Maybe they want to "equalize" the world's temperature? Maybe half a region is too hot, and the other too cold, and obtaining both would allow them to take control of the temperature and fix it to help both humans and Pokémon, but it goes wrong and they pull an Omega Ruby-/Alpha Saphire-style stunt.

Ras, Hematite and Dragonite like this.
  9. Fakemon123

Fakemon123 Still a Noob member

So, a some of you know, I've been working on a fangame called Pokémon Aura for a while, but haven't ever really been motivated to work on it. I originally wanted to make it be my own region on top of the Orre region from Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, but I recently have thought it might be better to make it be just a sequel to the Orre games and have it take place solely in Orre with no new Fakemon. I know this is a lot less unique than before but I think it would be a lot less ambitious and maybe I would be motivated and have more time to finish the game if I made it like this. However, I also am still a bit attached to the idea of my own region and Fakemon, so I was wondering what you guys thought. I feel that most people on Relic have probably saw the thread I had before so I doubt I need to explain any more but I am just looking to find out what you guys think and maybe find some kind of compromise if that works better. Thanks in advance!

Fontbane likes this.
  10. Fontbane

Fontbane Lettuce, Keep Me Warm... member

My advice would be to stick with your Fakemon. From what I've seen of your Fakemon, they're great. I feel like you can make something really interesting with your own Fakemon, and it gives you a lot of creative freedom. Plus, it'll make more people want to play it.

Fakemon123 likes this.
  11. Taquilla

@Fakemon123@Fakemon123 I are with Fontbane on this, when you combine fakemon with the ore sequal you have a unique adventure no one had thought of which is unique, plus if you lose ambition, then what's the point of doing it?

Fakemon123 likes this.
  12. Fakemon123

Fakemon123 Still a Noob member

Thanks for the feedback guys! So I guess what made everyone love the idea so much was the combination of the new and the old, and so I guess I will stick with my original idea. I know it was a very ambitious idea but I think this is for the best. I am going to make a goal to create one new Fakemon a week and hope to be able to live up to that goal, as I think the Fakemon was what was making me lose motivation. Any other ideas are welcome by the way, so if you have something you didn't like about Aura before, please let me know!

Fontbane likes this.
  13. Taquilla

Does anyone know a good secondary typing for my main legendaries? They are based on the Black Tortoise and Vermillion bird of Chinese constellations, I kinda want to do dragon but I am not sure if I want to use them or not.

14. Jephed

Jephed Trainer member

I don't know what their primary typings are, but I can only asume that they're Water (for the Tortoise) and Fire (for the bird)

THE BLACK TORTOISE

For the black Tortoise you could give it a Dark typing as it is refered to as being a demon at some point in it's mythology.
    It's also refered to as a black warrior, so maybe a fighting type?
    A dragon typing would also work since it's of the reptilian species.

Quote:
    "Once removed, the original stomach and intestines were said to have become a tortoise and a snake, respectively. The tortoise and snake became demons and terrorized people." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tortoise

THE VERMILLION BIRD

For a vermillion bird Fire-Flying would be a very obvious choice.

Though the webpage down below also makes me think Fire-Ghost or Fire-Psychic would be a good typing too.

http://elderthink.com/spirituality/astrology/chinese_astrology/vermilion-bird/vermilion-bird.php

Hope this gives you some ideas. :)

15. Hematite

Hematite Definitely the Most Plot-Relevant Isorrioid member

I remember you bringing those two up at one point on the old site! And I could have sworn you told me this already on there, but I can't find it now that I'm looking (of course, haha) and I can't seem to remember - what were their primary types/what type already is decided?

I think Ice/Dark or Ice/Ghost (black tortoise of the north and winter) and Fire/Psychic (vermilion bird of the south and summer) have potential as types, referencing their respective seasons with Ice and Fire and offering an interesting duality in that each has super effective STAB on the other (Fire beats Ice/Dark or Ice/Ghost; Dark or Ghost beats Fire/Psychic), while avoiding giving the bird the same type as Ho-Oh. As an alternative, there's also Water/Fighting for the tortoise (it's apparently a water elemental as the bird is fire, and it's called the Dark Warrior) - this maintains that balance because Water beats Fire but Psychic beats Fighting, so it could still carry that feeling of duality if you want that!

Another cool approach I like is a common weakness, as long as it ties into their lore. The Regis, for example, are all weak to Fighting! Fighting is one of the most humanlike types all around, and the Regis were sealed away by humans, so it sort of makes sense. They're also all defense-oriented and some of the least combat-prone or oriented Legendary trios in the series. Using a common weakness as basis for their types was a really clever move on Game Freak's part in my opinion. This wasn't done at any other point in the canon games as far as I know, but another example of how it could be used - the Legendary Pokémon mascots in my game don't share any types, but they have a shared weakness to Ice. This is because they represent the flow of energy through the region, and cold is basically just an absence of energy; because their energy is so intertwined with their surroundings and they have a tendency to share energy with their environment or absorb energy from it, they simply can't function well in the cold! So if there's a particular concept that would lend itself to a common weakness for your Legendaries, that could be another way to decide on types that somehow correlate without being exactly the same!

That said, I'm not sure what type you already have for them or if that conflicts with it! XP Let me know what you already had in mind and I can try to help further!

Aside from my specific suggestions and just as a general statement, I would not necessarily forbid but definitely discourage giving them both a subtype of Dragon; it's just too common among Legendaries! It's been the secondary type of at least one member of the primary trio for four Generations (and might become Necrozma's second type as well given that it's the disembodied head of a decapitated dragon...), and every member of the trio for two of those, so I think your duo would be better-received if it deviated and was "its own thing!"

Plus, it's always more interesting when they have different types from one another instead of making them match! Solgaleo and Lunala had an excuse to have Psychic in common for the obvious story reasons, but in most cases, I think the trios without shared types are more interesting than the ones with. I loved the Mortality Trio because of the fact that they're tied together by subtle core elements (X, Y and Z shapes and basis on Norse mythology) but look like totally different creatures and don't purely exist as part of a set.

The black tortoise and vermilion bird are conveniently already counterparts, so I don't think you really need to focus on bringing them together by introducing shared elements - I would say you can keep driving them apart as much as you need so long as their core theme (Chinese constellations and seasons) remains strong between them, just as Norse mythology and letters were enough to tie Xerneas and Yveltal together without them sharing common design traits all around!

I'm very interested to see what designs you come up with for these two! C: Good luck!!

Edit: Oh, I totally missed the question about your villains' motives!! Some thoughts on that:

The Vermilion Bird is associated with the Chinese Empress and the Black Tortoise with longevity, so the most obvious goal would be a grab for power (being accepted by the Bird and gaining a following...?) or immortality. But those are definitely too close to N and Lysandre, respectively. XP So I guess not that.

As a better alternative, the Black Tortoise is said to have originated when a king named Xuanwu, seeking enlightenment to become a god, cleansed himself of [either his human flesh or of sin], but the discarded [flesh or sin] took shape as the Black Tortoise demon, which he then defeated. By contrast, the Vermilion Bird is elegant and wise; perhaps your antagonist was seeking to be enlightened or find wisdom (considering their technology/artifice theme, you could reference with alchemy or seeking the wisdom to create the elixir of life?) and seeks the Vermilion Bird for aid and/or accidentally unleashes the Black Tortoise in the process? This could be simplified a little to just "their goal is to vanquish the Tortoise and seek the wisdom of the Bird," with good intentions (betterment of humanity with advanced technology, elixir of life, etc.) but dangerous or downright evil methods (possibly coming back to bite them later, with the Tortoise being a manifestation of imperfection and sin), just as N and Lysandre had good intentions but circumstances led them on the wrong path to achieving those intentions.

Hot and cold also bring to mind tempered steel, which is, in general, another related aspect of the creation and longevity of artificial creations. (You could make them Fire/Steel and Ice/Steel if you don't want to go with separate types for them both!) I totally missed the tech theme of the villains; that would actually work really well as an inspiration for the duo.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. Phi-Bi

Phi-Bi Novice member

I think instead of doing only two legendaries why not four legendaries instead representing the four seasons?

The Black Tortoise represents winter with Ghost/Ice type. The Red Vermilion represents summer with Psychic/Fire. The White Tiger represents autumn with Fairy/Flying. The AzureDragon represents spring with Dragon/Bug (perhaps you could combine Chinese Dragon with milipede/centipede as its design). With this all four legendaries are weak to Rock-type which could be used for the fifth 'legendaries', an artificial creation by ancient people to control all four legendaries.

As for the villain motives, I have send you a DM about that since it's too spoilery to be put here. For anyone curious, it's related to how Kevlon Institute wants to prevent climate change/global warming but things are not happening like what they are expected to be.

Edit: Perhaps it's better for the Black Tortoise to have Dark/Ice as its typing for the sake of type chart. I don't know although I feel Ghost is suit better, aesthetically wise--the fact that it's also represents warrior and demon a.k.a. dead warrior makes Ghost fits better. The Azure Dragon typing is somewhat not fair too but I don't know any better idea.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Hematite and Dawn Bronze like this.
  17. Hematite

Hematite Definitely the Most Plot-Relevant Isorrioid member

Oh! I wasn't sure how open you were to having a quartet instead of a duo (are you making version counterparts, like RS, or one version involving both, like Emerald?), but if that doesn't interfere with what you already, I definitely agree with Phi Bi that it's a good idea to represent all four. C:

It seems the Azure Dragon is associated with doors (it could be guarding something). The White Tiger only appeared when the emperor ruled justly or when there was world peace (if you go with the plot idea I proposed earlier, then that could be related to why the antagonist desires enlightenment/divinity?). In summary, my proposal for their plan would be...

> Ultimate goal: world peace (being villains, perhaps achieved by domination - good motive, selfish objective?)
    > Uses alchemy/"perfect" technology to achieve world peace
    > Aims to destroy the turtle demon of sin/human guts
    > Seeks the wisdom of the bird to learn how to create some kind of alchemical technology
    > Needs to get something the dragon is guarding
    > Wants to summon the tiger? Wants the tiger's approval? I'm not sure on this one; in completely the other direction, maybe they're capturing the tiger and you freeing it lets it recognize you as just...?

(Minor thing: the association with cardinal directions is really nice for gameplay, because it can drag you all around the region and space out the encounters well so you have time to appreciate all four of them even if you do make one game with all four! That's just really convenient, haha.)

I dunno if this is the idea you'll like, so no pressure and sorry to make it so detailed without you even being here! XP Just thought I'd share since it relates to your question and I got carried away, whoops;;

Dawn Bronze likes this.
  18. Taquilla

For the other 2 members of the cardinal quartet I won't say anything about. However, these pieces of information are useful so thank you.

Hematite likes this.
  19. Phi-Bi

Phi-Bi Novice member

I keep thinking about this but find no solution about how the gameplay will work for a fan-game which settings is set in the distant past so I guess I will share my thoughts here.

Every Pokemon fan-game nowadays always revolve around the modern world and its issues. As far as I know there's no Pokemon fan-game about how the Pokemon world works before the modern time. Note that from my perspectives, the modern era in Pokemon world begins as the invention of Pokeball, followed by Pokemon Center, PC Storage, Pokedex, and so on. Now this brings question about how the Pokemon world works before all of that and how to implement that aspect in a game? While making the settings might limit the use of 'flashy' features such as all Pokemon becomes available--since some Pokemon is found recently, or things like Advanced Dex--since there's no Pokedex in the past, and any other 'futuristic' features. Even implementing the gameplay will be quite problematic since there are no PokeBall, how are you supposed to catch Pokemon. Since there are no PC Storage, how are you supposed to keep your Pokemon if you could catch it. Since there are to Technical and Hidden Machine as well, the movepool of the Pokemon is quite limited. From technical perspectives, there are many problems as well since there are little to no tiles nor clothing for the character which represents pre-modern era.

However, despites those problems I always fascinated about how a Pokemon fan-game in the pre-modern era will work. It's also kinda annoyed me that Pokemon games always told the story about the past legend but we never experience such legend. Not only pre-modern era will gives different experience, but it's also gives deeper understanding about how the culture of Pokemon works, leading to more well-thought plot which impact is felt in the current timeline of Pokemon world. Some examples are: what's happening in the past Sinnoh that the people of Celestic Town creates a painting as memorial to such event? What is the origin of Sinjoh Ruin? Is it really true that the Burned Tower in Ecruteak is burned only to lightning and there's no evil scheme in the past that causing it? What is the origin of Ruin of Alph? How could the war breaks in the past Kalos? What happen in Unova when the original dragon is still there, how the Unova Region is created, by conquest, or something other? How is the origin of Mega Evolution? Is there any event in the past that explains Bond Transformation? What starts the Pokemon League--I assume that battling each other in a Pokemon combat begins before the invention of Pokeball? And many more.

In short, I just want to see or help someone to create such game--since I don't have all the time to learn the coding/scripting stuff. It'd be great to experience a Pokemon fan-game with Zelda-like vibe or Game of Thrones atmosphere but still gives the impression that it is a fan of official games. So in your opinion, how could it work?

Eszy, Pokébook, Rhyden and 1 other person like this.
  20. Dawn Bronze

Dawn Bronze Too many ideas, why me ubdawnbronze

@Phi-Bi@Phi-Bi Someone had a similar idea during the early days of old relic, but it looks like the project's been abandoned since I haven't seen them around in ages...There's was a bit different to what you're describing here since it was set in the stipone age and not the medieval times as I think you're talking about. From what I can remember of that project though, I think they had similar issues with replacing the modern technology to match the time period.

Luckily there's already a 'replacement' for Pokeballs: Apricorns! I'm pretty sure it's mentioned by Kurt or someone else from Azalea Town that before modern Pokeballs were made and designed as they are in modern times, hollowed out Apricorns were just used instead. Maybe different coloured Apricorns could replace the different types of Pokeballs, or maybe if you're introducing some kind of human-performed magic (you mentioned Zelda and Game of Thrones), you could get Pokeballs that had been enchanted to have those special properties.

PC storage could be explained too. What if each Pokemon Centre (or maybe Inn in this world?) was also a ranch, or just had a stable? Your Pokemon could be sent there instead of to a computer. Sure, you shouldn't really be able to access all of your Pokemon from any town if it was like this, but I think people will be able to suspend their disbelief for just this little detail.

I think Tms could be easily replaced with just about any other item. Just say it's a magical stone or scroll or something, I think anything like that would work just fine. Another option would be to have more move tutors, perhaps located in every Pokemon Centre (or Inn!) through out the region. I guess there would have to be a lot of them though, so I think the first option would be better.

I think it would be really interesting to see how this would come together, and I think it would be really cool to explore some of the lore surrounding the games.

Eszy, Pokébook and Rhyden like this.