Other MKXP

This thread does not pertain to a related version of Pokémon Essentials.

Rua

Pokémon Dark Dev
Hi guys,

I was looking to know if there is a guide to implementing MKXP in Pokemon Essentials v18.1?

I see a lot of fangames use MKXP.

I have tried following the GitBook for mkxp-z online, but it seems like a collection of options rather than a step by step guide I can follow?

Thanks for your help!

Voltseon

Lurking around this place 0.o
The gitbook does have a step by step guide on how to install MKXP, but it only really works for windows 8.x. Instead you can get the mkxp files from another mkxp game like Pokémon Splice and put them in your game. Specifically the following files:
Game.exe, mkxp.json, soundfont.sf2 (if it is there), and MKXP Compatability.rb from '\Data\Scripts\001_Technical'
You might run into a few issues with some plugins but they don't break the game.
If you're using a huge tileset you might also want to use the RMXPTileset.rb you can get from '\Data\Scripts\020_System and utilities'
It does not work with the current github version of essentials, so just get the base v18.1 version of essentials and copy over the Tilemap XP.rb file in '\Data\Scripts\005_Map renderer' so it works.
Last problem you might encounter is that the text gets misalligned. Unfortunately you'll have to manually change the text positions in every script or edit the MKXP Compatability.rb to include the following:
1617300803938.png

This is not recommended because it still messes up a few instances like the FRLG and R/S fonts.

v19 will come with MKXP built in so if you want to wait for that it's also fine!

Rua

Pokémon Dark Dev
Thanks for the reply, if I'm doing them outside the GitHub version. Do I just add those scripts you mentioned above Main in the script section of the game?

Voltseon

Lurking around this place 0.o
Thanks for the reply, if I'm doing them outside the GitHub version. Do I just add those scripts you mentioned above Main in the script section of the game?
I think you can just do it with the base version of essentials but I'm not sure. I haven't really tested it.
Also something I forgot to mention is that you should remove all instances of 'def self.snap_to_bitmap - end' because mkxp handles that.
If you do want to use the github version however, I made a fork of the pokemon essentials github with mkxp installed right here

Ozander

Pokemon Golden Mountain
I think you can just do it with the base version of essentials but I'm not sure. I haven't really tested it.
Also something I forgot to mention is that you should remove all instances of 'def self.snap_to_bitmap - end' because mkxp handles that.
If you do want to use the github version however, I made a fork of the pokemon essentials github with mkxp installed right here
I think even I will use it, mkxp is almost needed for every essentials game! It's good that you created such a thing! I also tried to install mkxp but it never worked.

DogzNDogz113

Arbiter of Doggos
v19 will come with MKXP built in so if you want to wait for that it's also fine!
v19 with built-in MKXP? Beyond incredible.

Also regarding tileset size, even though the workaround Voltseon posted might work, it's generally good practice to limit your tileset height to 8192 (openGL limit in some implementations) both for performance reasons, but also for android in general. Besides, you shouldn't have designed such a huge tileset in the first place, not only is it unnecessary, and you probably don't need like 80% of the tiles in there, it might stress some machines, mobile included, even if MKXP does a good job against lag etc.