v18 Intro scene editing

This thread pertains to v18 of Pokémon Essentials.

Mark93

Novice
Hi everyone, I made different intro image for the title screen and they work perfectly. The question is: how can I do to make more time pass between one photo and another?
I tried to change in the Scene_Intro script some variables but nothing happened, where can I make this change?
Thanks.

Leondrea

Trainer
Did you try to add a conditional branch with the timer?
You could also add a wait inside that conditional branch, I'm also not so advanced at making Pokémon games but I'm still learning,
I hope I could still help you though.

Mark93

Novice
Did you try changing the values of the constants "TICKS_PER_PIC" or "TICKS_PER_ENTER_FLASH" in Scene_Intro?
Ok now I solve the problem of timing but I want one more thing, how can I put a "flash" before the load of some images in the intro (just that the screen goes blank for a moment after a photo disappears and returns to normal by loading the next photo) and also a specific music only during this flash?
I tried something but I'm not sure how to change the screen color, I hope is clear what I mean thanks.

Leondrea

Trainer
there are 2 ways you could do it, in Event Commands on page 2 you can add a Screen Flash, that's white by default and you can set a time of xx frames, where xx is the number of frames. The second way is to add a "Change Screen Colour Tone" where you also can choose the colour to be white and you can set the time of frames to whatever you want. If you add a Screen Flash, don't worry, the screen will return normally by itself just right after the flash.

Try to add this before loading those pictures, you can always try to load them under a conditional branch with a timer. Then add a piece of music by selecting one of these "Play SE" or "Play BGM". If you choose "Play BGM" you need to make sure to fade out the BGM at the end of the event when you don't need the music anymore.

Put this under a conditional branch with a timer, so that everything you want happens at the same time.

Last edited:

Mark93

Novice
there are 2 ways you could it, in Event Commands on page 2 you can add a Screen Flash, that's white by default and you can set a time of xx frames,
where xx is the number of frames. The second way is to add a "Change Screen Colour Tone" where you also can choose the colour to be white and you can set the time of frames to whatever you want. If you add a Screen Flash, don't worry, the screen will return normally by itself just right after the flash.

Try to add this before loading those pictures, you can always try to load them under a conditional branch with a timer. Then add a piece of music by selecting one of these "Play SE" or "Play BGM". If you choose "Play BGM" you need to make sure to fade out the BGM at the end of the event when you don't need the music anymore.

Put this under a conditional branch with a timer, so that everything you want happens at the same time.

i understand what you mean but i mean the initial intro of the game before the title screen, how do i manage it with an event? I think I have to change the scripts and that's what I don't know how to do

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
Ok now I solve the problem of timing but I want one more thing, how can I put a "flash" before the load of some images in the intro (just that the screen goes blank for a moment after a photo disappears and returns to normal by loading the next photo) and also a specific music only during this flash?
I tried something but I'm not sure how to change the screen color, I hope is clear what I mean thanks.
I'm not really sure what you mean by flash, I think you're asking how to fade in/out but put like a white screen in the middle? I imagine after the previous screen fades out, you can display a white image for a few ticks, then hide it and fade in to the next screen. Also, you can change the music playing with this code:
Ruby:
pbBGMPlay("NAME OF BGM")
Where "NAME OF BGM" is the name of the music file inside the BGM folder, but without the extension, like .mp3. Put that line in the places just before the fade out code for each screen for which you want to change the music.

Mark93

Novice
I'm not really sure what you mean by flash, I think you're asking how to fade in/out but put like a white screen in the middle? I imagine after the previous screen fades out, you can display a white image for a few ticks, then hide it and fade in to the next screen. Also, you can change the music playing with this code:
Ruby:
pbBGMPlay("NAME OF BGM")
Where "NAME OF BGM" is the name of the music file inside the BGM folder, but without the extension, like .mp3. Put that line in the places just before the fade out code for each screen for which you want to change the music.
But how can I change the speed only for the white image to see it only for a moment like a flash?

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
ok I've looked into the script and you can either change FADE_TICKS which makes the fading in and out of pics take longer. So the fading would be slower

The other thing you can do is introduce a new Variable TICKS_BETWEEN_PICS
and then add pbWait(TICKS_BETWEEN_PICS) in the method closePic like this:

closePic:
  def closePic(scene,args)
    onUpdate.clear
    onCTrigger.clear
    @pic.moveOpacity(0,FADE_TICKS,0)
    pictureWait
    @index += 1   # Move to the next picture
    if @index>=@pics.length
      openSplash(scene,args)
    else
      pbWait(FRAMES_BETWEEN_PICS)
      openPic(scene,args)
    end
  end

if you want to also have the wait time before the final splash do the pbWait in front of the if instead.

Mark93

Novice
ok I've looked into the script and you can either change FADE_TICKS which makes the fading in and out of pics take longer. So the fading would be slower

The other thing you can do is introduce a new Variable TICKS_BETWEEN_PICS
and then add pbWait(TICKS_BETWEEN_PICS) in the method closePic like this:

closePic:
  def closePic(scene,args)
    onUpdate.clear
    onCTrigger.clear
    @pic.moveOpacity(0,FADE_TICKS,0)
    pictureWait
    @index += 1   # Move to the next picture
    if @index>=@pics.length
      openSplash(scene,args)
    else
      pbWait(FRAMES_BETWEEN_PICS)
      openPic(scene,args)
    end
  end

if you want to also have the wait time before the final splash do the pbWait in front of the if instead.
Ok but the main problem is back, that is I can change values to variables or create new ones but the speed does not change by one second, the only way it had changed was to modify Graphics.frame_rate but this caused other errors and therefore cannot do. why doesn't it change?

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
in that case all our changes won't affect what you're doing because modular title screens probably overwrites it ... you should always post what related scripts you are using when asking such a question, since they tend to change the solution.
Sadly I don't have any experience with the modular title screen script so I can't help you.

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
As aiyinsi mentioned, since you have the modular title screen installed, it could be overwriting the default Scene_Intro script, so you can try changing that script instead. It looks like the script itself is inside the "MODTS.rxdata" file, so you will have to extract the script content from that file by creating a new temporary project, replacing the Scripts.rxdata file of that temp project with that file, and then opening the project and copying the scripts into your own project. After you extract the scripts into your script editor, you need to delete MODTS.rxdata from your project, and also delete this line from the MODTS settings script:
Code:
File.runScript("Data/Plugins/MODTS.rxdata")