Suggestions to improve Essentials

Discussion in 'Pokémon Essentials' started by Maruno, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Deo

Deo the north star deo

Nov 14, 2014
    I'm pretty content with all of the features and what not in Essentials as is, I do have two quality of life suggestions though. I think I suggested these on Discord once, but I'll repeat them here since this is a better area for suggestions.

Suggestion A) Regional Dex Editing

Definitely a quality of life suggestion for devs. Editing regional dexes can be a pain if you're doing it by hand in the pokemon.txt PBS file, and while the regional dex editor is a step up and easier to use, it's still a hassle compared to manually editing other PBS files.

An easier (in my opinion anyways) way would be to let devs enter it manually by Pokemon ID in a PBS file or script. Something like:
    Devs have likely organized a spreadsheet or something of the sort when making a regional dex, which means they'd likely have their Pokemon IDs handy.

I can only speak for myself on this, but I can write down Pokemon IDs significantly faster than I can use the regional dex editor to navigate 600+ Pokemon IDs, even with using Page Up & Page Down to get through it quicker. The regional dex definitely has value, and would still have value even if this was in place, but this would be a much faster process I think.

Suggestion B) Town Map Scrolling

Probably more of a pipe dream, but I'll suggest it nonetheless since I firmly believe it would unlock a lot of potential for projects. If you decide to take a look into reworking how region maps work, please consider letting region maps be larger than the screen resolution and having the map scroll to accommodate this.

It could be argued that region maps don't really need to be bigger than the default screen resolution, but I don't see why the possibility shouldn't be there if it's possible. By allowing them to be bigger, devs can come up with more creative region maps and add more detail. Things like the region map from Pokemon Reborn would be more commonplace, just without a size restriction.

Another region map that comes to mind is the one from Pokemon Uranium; it was split into West and East. I think it would have benefited from such an improvement, and squishing the two maps together would have likely had some details lost. It would also be helpful in this scenario since you would ideally be able to use Fly to travel to where ever in the region, versus splitting the region map up and having to come up with some sort of work around for not being able to fly between them.
  2. NtM

NtM Rookie member

Jul 13, 2017
    Maybe for Essentials v18, set passability for parts of the terrain tags (water etc.) because in BW, maybe even earlier games if you start surfing you start in the middle of the water and not on the cliff kinda sides, and those cliff sides are inpassable, if possible you could like include it in the External Editor, just like multiple terrain tags, I think it would be nice because it would make it look even better because it can look a bit awkward when you surf on the sides of the water.
  3. Maruno

Maruno Thread Author Pokémon Essentials dev ubessdev

Apr 5, 2017
    Do you mean that the player's surfing graphic overlaps part of the land when you're surfing along a coastline? It does that in Gen 3 (obviously, since Essentials uses FRLG overworld graphics), and that's all Essentials is replicating as far as the overworld 2D tile-based maps go. If you're using your own tiles, and they don't look good, change them. Maybe make the water area a little larger (i.e. put the coastline on the ground's tiles rather than the water's tiles) and make the player's surfing graphic a little smaller.
    Marin likes this.
  4. Arma

Arma A Martian Hyena member

Apr 18, 2017
    I haven't seen this before, but one thing that's been bothering me is the way that encounters are set up. I think it can be done a lot simpler than having the default amount of entries required.
    I don't know how to implement this myself, but it should be possible to make it so that each entry has their own probability, instead of having both probability and and amount of entries locked. Then, the amount of entries would be counted (should be possible, right?) and the individual encounter rate would be divided over the sum of all rates to yield. This would make it a lot easier to edit the PBS files, in my opinion.
    Current way encounter rates are distributed
    I mean, suppose the two Pokemon from the next image are the only two available as land encounters, though their individual rates are set at 45, the actual rate is 45 / (45+45) = 0.5. adding a third Pokemon would be really easy, just make its individual rate equal to 10, if you want a ten percent encounter, or 45 if you want 1/3 chance of encountering either one. (I suck at explaining, please tell me I did get the message across correctly.)
    Arma's crappy example image
  5. Dr. Pikachu PhD

Dr. Pikachu PhD Trust me, I'm a doctor. Technically. member

Jun 19, 2017
    I think most people would agree that the current method of having the amount of entries and each probability locked is less than ideal. I certainly would like to see this overhauled, but I'm sure that the inner workings of this system are complicated so I wouldn't be suprised if it's not possible (or at least more trouble than it's worth).

If we were to do an overhaul though, I think there would be an easier method than this. The idea of having the values divided by the total works, but it's not immediately intuitive (especially for newer devs, I could see Maruno being bombarded with confusion from them). It would make more sense to me if we are allowed to have as many encounter entries as we wanted, and we are allowed to enter any custom whole number for the probability, as long as these probability values total 100 per area (and the game would error out otherwise). That way, you'd know whatever value you enter in for the encounter rate would be its percentage out of 100%.
  6. Arma

Arma A Martian Hyena member

Apr 18, 2017
    I'm 100% sure it is possible, if you look at the current way the pbs file is set up, the only real "difficult" thing here is to make clear when the last encounter entry has been hit. the current way just counts the mandatory X lines for each type.

I think your way is actually more complicated than mine. In my case the encounters still work, even if the total isn't set to 100. The worst thing that could happen is that encounters don't necessarily have the same percentages as the dev has intended. Setting it to a strict total vale of 100% means just ading a limitation to what I suggested. Giving out error messages for this is what I believe will lead to more confusion among newer devs.
    Marina and MGriffin like this.