Wastage of Time
So I thought to maybe bring up a discussion about the Switch as a concept, console, piece of tech, etc. Would like to hear some opinions of you Switch owners out there. I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and have mixed feelings about it. While I think the concept around it is really cool, and the modularity of it brings a lot of potential to the longevity of the console; I have some hands-on problems with it:
- It is seriously underpowered; even in docked mode. I had segments of Zelda completely freeze at certain instances because the game couldn't handle it in real time.
- It is highly unergonomic in undocked mode. The awkward, vertically aligned, positioning of the buttons and joysticks; as well as the offset joysticks, make holding the tablet for extended gaming periods really bad. I have pretty durable hands (they've been through plenty physical abuse), and I still get sore after an hour of play.
- The joycons. They're just bad. I have my Switch docked on my desk, hooked up to my monitor. I'm sitting about 30 cm away from that thing - and the Joycons still keep desyncing. The power throughput (to save battery presumably) is so low, that mild interference with your body can break your connection. Even having the Joycons railed to the grip, and gripping the controller tightly with your hands can cause your connection to break. By themselves they are not usable imo. There is just not enough surface to grip, and it feels really flimsy trying to properly control anything with them like that.
- The battery is incredibly lousy. My Joycons constantly run dry, and I get about 2.5 hours of play in the undocked mode (without speaker sound and at medium brightness).
- The kickstand feels like a last minute tacked on feature. I had my Switch fall over twice because I dared to adjust the volume while it was standing on that kickstand.
- The game library is not worth the large price tag yet. I'm hoping this changes in the near future, but right now for the 2-3 games that are worth playing ... I don't think it's a good investment.