Hello, wonderful trainers! I'm Sunny, and I'll be leading the charge on this brand new project: HopeChrome! While the name is pending, I do have some solid foundational ideas on what I would like this game to be, as well as who I would like to recruit to help bring it to fruition! If you want to help make an immersive fan game that captures everything there is to love about Gen 3 while also adding a new level of lore and depth, this will be the game for you!
A Love Letter To Pokemon!
The goal of this game is to make a fun, rich, and nostalgic game that is fun for fans of the series. The graphical style will be that of Generation III. My hope for the game is to capture not only some of the excitement that setting foot in a brand new Pokemon game brings, but also the depth, humor, and complexity of other RPG's, such as Paper Mario or Stardew Valley.
A Brand New Region!
HopeChrome will be set in an entirely new region. While unnamed as of right now, the region will have some loose connections to North and Central America. In traditional Pokemon style, the region features 8 Pokemon Gyms, lead by a Leader who specializes in a type, as well as a Pokemon league consisting of an Elite 4 and a Champion.
Unlike many games like it, HopeChrome will not focus on telling a long-winded narrative that unravels itself as you progress linearly from town to town. Instead, the charm of the game will lie in exploring the new region, discovering its secrets for yourself, and indulging in a vast variety of quests and sidequests that help bring the region to life, and make your adventure feel unique.
New Pokemon and New Types!
The Fairy Type will be included, along with the brand new Sound type. With the introduction of these types, many Pokemon will receive type alterations to better suit them (these are not limited to Fairy and Sound types, either!) The Pokedex of HopeChrome will feature a handpicked cast of Pokemon from across the franchise's history, as well as a new crop of Fakemon produced for the game!
Who Do We Need?
As you might already know, making a fan project of this scale and ambition is no small feat. I'm gonna need a lot of help to make it happen! Here are the kinds of positions I'm looking to fill, and what they will more than likely be helping with.
- Artists (Sprite and Concept): A good Pokemon game needs art! If you’ve got wicked skills and want to help draw and sprite overworld characters, tiles, icons or Fakemon, we’d love to have you! We’re going for a Gen III art style.
- Scripters/Programmers: I’m gonna be honest, my coding skills are pretty limited. I have some experience with RPG maker, and that’s what allows us to do the basics, but I could really use some help on the technical side of things! I love to learn, and I would really appreciate people willing to help me sort through that!
- Writers: We’ve developed the broad strokes for the game, including some general themes and character motifs, but there is still a lot to be done! We’re looking for people with a nack for storytelling to help fill in the arcs of the story and postgame, as well as people willing to help write dialogue, sidequests, and that sort of thing! Remember, the goal is to create a world full of depth, humor, and adventure.
- Audio Composers: What’s more iconic about Pokemon than the sweet jams? We are looking for people who want to make poketunes, as well as unique sound effects like Fakemon cries. This game will feature a lot of unique music, so please, please, we need you.
- Testers and Balancers: Eventually, once the game has some steam behind it, we’re going to need people who are willing to playtest for bugs, difficulty, and ease of play!
*the art is currently placeholding until we have custom assets
If you’re interested in the project, you can message me on Discord at: turbo_reloaded#1455
Or, you can join the game dev server and we can chat there! Hope to see you soon!
Server link: https://discord.gg/zp9upZf