(V.5) Pokemon Cryptic : An Untold Enigma

Anuran

Trainer

Tale of a young survivalist sailing off to a remote Island where the character travels between two other parallel universes to uncover a hidden mystery.

DEVELOPED BY
Anuran

For Relic Castle's first ever Winter Game Jam.

SCREENSHOTS

NOTES
Open the Spoiler only after completing the game.
There are two endings. Both completely opposite to one another.
There are some events after the Credits mainly to make the game feel alive.

Bug
1: There is a unnecessary text after using the Crafting Table each time.(Unnoticeable/Minor : Will be Fixed)
Not a Bug
If you catch the Zorua and use it for the first time in battle, it will show up as your other Pokemon sprite, It's his Illusion Ability , it will transform back to Zorua in the Second battle/After fainting.
Catch the wild Houndour during the beginning of the game. It will make the game more enjoyable. Otherwise, some players may find the game a little bit hard (Since there are a lot of Bug, Ghost and Grass type mons)
Check the Picture Key Item each time after you think you have completed a task. You may find something interesting

DOWNLOAD
(43 MB)
Version 5
https://mega.nz/#!g2oxBIJR!zyO_Q982FT_Cp9BFp7EFZcMsqN1hLjvIFs7c5ynT-FI

CREDITS
Pokémon Essentials
Flameguru
Poccil
Maruno

RPG Maker XP
Enterbrain

Scripts
Marin
Mr Gela

Tileset
Ulithium_Dragon
Tyranitar Dark
SailorVicious
Akizakura16
Phyromatical
Magiscarf
Zeo254
PrincessPheonix
LogiedanT
Gallanty
Hek-el-grande

Overworld
Dewitty
Chocosrawloid
Kymotonian
milomilotic11
NeoSpriteman
Bulbapedia

Fakemon Design
VincenzoNova

BattleBacks
AveonTrainer
Carchagui

Music
KrisKros
Nintendo

Beam Animation
ArctusDracon

Intro Scene
Forheksed

RESOURCE PACK
https://reliccastle.com/resources/364/
Read the "Info.txt" inside the resource pack

CHANGELOG
Version 2
  • ((Fixed)) Some of the tree tops are passable when they shouldn't be, and don't have priority set. (There may be more)
  • ((Fixed)) A particular rock is passable.
  • ((Fixed)) There's no battle-back in the swamp/festival area, so it just shows the indoors one.
  • ((Fixed)) If you try to backtrack through the forest, when you cut the tree you'll get sent back to a "One time accessible" map and have to redo the same event once more
  • ((Fixed)) Siv and Sai's names seem to change back and forth from dialogue to battle. (They are the same guy. Just some Spell error by me. Renamed all the texts to "Siv" which was originally planned to be his name)
  • ((Fixed)) Yumi is referred to as "Lady" every time she speaks except for her last few lines of dialogue. (Initially, the beginning was planned differently where the player gets to know her name but after polishing, new cut scenes were added and some old dialogue was edited. That specific line got left out. So now the MC never gets to know her name so she will be referred to as "Lady", as planned)
  • ((Fixed)) Sai vanishes after giving you the Poké Balls. (He no longer vanishes, Forgot to set his character sheet in the new page with Self switch on)
  • ((Fixed)) The outside of Siv's restaurant is passable.
  • ((Fixed)) A certain Table tile was collision-less
  • Removed the Running Shoes since the game plays much better without them.
  • Lowered encounter rates in "Forest","Water","#6" for more fluid gameplay since it seemed to break the immersion.
  • Added some NPCs and Pokemons in Map #8 since the beach area felt rather empty and left out of the main island.
  • Made the Game's size much smaller (From 72MB to 43MB

Version 3
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character can't use the Surf Item (Raft).
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character can't use the Rock Smash Item (Pickaxe).
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character travels back to the default map if your team faint during the beginning.
  • Wall connections on map have been redone. (Inside the Boat)
  • Fixed some priority errors in the doors.
  • Changed the conversation between the Lady and the MC to be more realistic.
  • The Protagonist now does an "Eye closing" animation when you take a nap in the beds.
  • No more OP Glooms in #2 Map.
  • Every custom items now have their own custom Icons. There are a lot of custom items, so check them out.
  • Forest's Entrance shadows have been fixed.
  • Some change in actions and conversations so that it makes more sense.
  • Changed the Smile Emote's animation sound effect.
  • The swampy water in the established area is now unpassable. But it isn't the case in the Actual swamp map. They will give you encounters
  • Fixed some blank text box the player has to pass through in Map #4
  • BackSprite of the MC now doesn't have a hat. It now matches the overworld sprite and his trainer card sprite.
  • Fixed being able to backtrace a bridge in the parallel universe without any animations.
  • Fixed many passibility errors on Trees.
  • Ryuk says some different dialogue after he shows himself to match what happens.
  • Siv now no longer says "Anu" and rather refers to the \PN (Player)
  • Fixed a lot of typos (As given by TechSkylander)

Version 4
  • Wild Encounters are significantly lowered in many maps.

Version 5
  • The battle back sprite while underwater was showing Brendan sprite.
  • Lowered encounter rates in Cave#1, Cave#2, Underwater, #6,#7, Surfing significantly.
  • Brought the arrow to find coal a bit lower since some people may miss it.
  • Added more healing mana pillars in White#2.
  • Fixed being able to completely bypass Siv's 1st talk if we don't enter the Cave before going to restaurant (by adding a blockage).

Last edited:

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
(I already sent you the bugs and my thoughts so I'm just going to post the second half here.)

I enjoyed running through this game! I like how vast the island felt, and how you were able to incorporate different types of areas into what was technically a small space. I think my favourite environment had to be the swampy patches in the second settlement- having encounters when you walked above the water platforms was a neat idea.

The crafting system was also fun! It added to a sense of survival and exploration. Having your items actually play a role in the field (beyond just being Poké Balls or healing items) was neat. I think that my favourite of the bunch was the raft, just because of how cute the player's sprite sitting on it was. I also appreciate how you had the little arrows with the items you could pick up. It's a clever idea and helpful to the player. They can know that the crafting item isn't just part of the background.

Other things I also liked were the inside of the abandoned ship. There was also the game's camera interface that you see at the beginning and the end, which I thought was cute. Those Regi's were really cool-looking, and the battlebacks for the nightmare area were too.

Overall, the game is in need of some polish, but nothing too major. Just work out those little things! I still had a fun run!

Anuran

Trainer
I have fixed some minor Bugs that were found later on and also Polished some stuffs.
I haven't uploaded the new Version of the Game yet since people might come up with more Bugs.

I will list what I have fixed and polished after the initial release, So that other players can send me the new bugs rather than the ones already fixed.

((Fixed)) Some of the tree tops are passable when they shouldn't be, and don't have priority set. (There may be more)
((Fixed)) A particular rock is passable.
((Fixed)) There's no battle-back in the swamp/festival area, so it just shows the indoors one.
((Fixed)) If you try to backtrack through the forest, when you cut the tree you'll get sent back to a "One time accessible" map and have to redo the same event once more
((Fixed)) Siv and Sai's names seem to change back and forth from dialogue to battle. (They are the same guy. Just some Spell error by me. Renamed all the texts to "Siv" which was originally planned to be his name)
((Fixed)) Yumi is referred to as "Lady" every time she speaks except for her last few lines of dialogue. (Initially the beginning was planned differently where the player gets to know her name but after polishing, new cut scenes were added and some old dialogue were edited. That specific line got left out. So now the MC never gets to know her name so she will be referred to as "Lady", as planned)
((Fixed)) Sai vanishes after giving you the Poké Balls. (He no longer vanishes, Forgot to set his character sheet in the new page with Self switch on)
((Fixed)) The outside of Siv's restaurant is passable.
((Fixed)) A certain Table tile was collision-less
Removed the Running Shoes since the game plays much better without them.

Lowered encounter rates in "Forest","Water","#6" for more fluid game play since it seemed to break the immersion.
Added some NPCs and Pokemons in Map #8 since the beach area felt rather empty and left out of the main island.
Made the Game's size much smaller (From 72MB to 43MB

Please don't play the game untill a newer version is released since I just found a major game breaking bug that prevents the player from progressing.

Last edited:
I really like the soundtrack for this game, it's really nice!

That sound you replaced the select with is so satisfying, I don't know why, but I'm so entertained by it!

The tiles you used for the maps are really pretty! Same for the battle backgrounds!

I love the designs for the nightmare maps!

The stones were really nicely designed! I love the TCG energy, and you adapted it to the game style well!

There's a passability error on this door, and in most of the other doors on the boat

The way the wall connects here feels a little awkward to me. That white strip along the bottom of the front-facing wall is where it connects to the floor, so it makes it look like there's two walls directly next to each other instead of just one wall turning.

To me, it seems a little weird to have the lady remind the protag to "get some sleep before heading out", when they were just on a long boat ride with beds, and to "remember to send her the clips to publish them"- surely the protagonist already knows to send her the footage if they've been doing this show a while?

A tree clips into a bridge here

When you take naps, the protag stays facing right, and has the sleep emote while his eyes are open, which is a bit awkward

Those Glooms early on seem a little OP- their Mega Drain OHKOed my Rhyhorn twice, and I never got a chance to flee, even though they were ten levels below me. They also have Sleep Powder, which is pretty frustrating when you don't have any healing items.

It seems a little strange to me to make a new Cookie item and not make any sprite for it, when all it does it heal- why not just use an existing item?

That forest entrance looks a bit odd to me.

It feels weird to me to have the adults just stand around and ask a stranger to find their kids for them- I feel like they should be moving around and looking on their own.

Rhyhorn has a very low base Speed, which unfortunately also affects how fleeing works. That means that a lot of times, trying to run from battle would fail, which in turn made wild encounters very, very annoying. What should have been a simple "Oh, I don't want this Pokemon" would usually end up in Rhyhorn at least taking quite a few blows, if I was lucky and didn't find encounter a Victrebell or Gloom, with Sleep Powder, or an Ekans with Glare. I know the berries and cookies were to help with that, but with only two berries for each status wild Pokemon could inflict on you, it felt like it came down to luck.

"The wild Beedrill charged at you" feels a little odd when the player's at close range.

The PC sound for the smile emote feels out of place to me. It's a digital tone a computer plays from humans in a natural environment?

Is the water outside of the house supposed to be walked on? It seems strange to have the bridge over it if it's not.

I'm a little confused as to why there's the arrow over the sticks when the player exits the house after the second dream. I would understand it if it was when the player was in the forest, but in order to be able to get to these sticks, the player has to have already obtained an ax, so the clue is redundant.

The huts play a door opening sound effect when you exit, despite having no doors.

There's a passability error with these trees before the festival

It seems odd that the protag is silent when Taka introduces himself, when he speaks in other cutscenes

If I try to use the ax on a tree, I still have to go through the "This tree can be cut, use the pickax to cut the tree?" prompt. Actually, for that matter, it feels weird to have the prompt at all, considering there's not really any reason for the player to say no.

There's an extra blank line after the bit about passing out that the player has to scroll through. Same is true for the line about packing your stuff after the sun rose.

The backsprite of the protag has a hat, but the OW and trainer sprites don't?

There's a double battle between Concealed D and Concealed F, no Concealed E. I thought it was a clue there might be another out there, but I couldn't find any.

Some revival items and PP-restoring items in the nightmare sequence would be nice, my party was running seriously low. (No PP on Rock Throw, so I was forced to use Chip Away on that Zubat/Golbat fight) Repels would be nice, too- I know the idea is that the player is roughing it, but since most of the story is about exploring the island, I think I can skip out on encountering my fifth Yanma.

The bridge after Concealed G has an error in the events- after the jumping is done, the player can step back onto the bridge and just walk around there. I think you need to set it to where it's only passable in one direction, and let the events turn through on.

Passability error with these trees in #5, on the far right of the map

That ghost said she would heal my Pokemon after each fight... She definitely did not.

The Slowpoke outside of the temple still had the white battleback.

You can just flee from the Slowpoke and still finish the quest- which was nice for my guilt, but probably not what you intended!

I think you used the FRLG cut tree, which is a bit out of place in the graphic style of the game

Siv said I "Must be Anu"? Is that intentional, like he's mistaking me for someone, or an error?

Map 7 shows an indoor battlefield for wild encounters

The player's underwater sprite has a gap where there's nothing below the shoulder. Also, if he can swim underwater, why does he need a raft?
I accidentally hit my space bar when facing the water on the bridge, and got a crash. This seems to happen any time the player interacts with water.

You didn't update the coordinates for when you get taken out, at least not after the first bed, so when I got taken out, I was placed in a default map.

The ax crashes the game if you use it on something it can't cut. Not a fun surprise when I was experimenting.

Rock Smash events crash if the player doesn't have the pickax. (and I think maybe even if they do?)

Water crashes even if the player has the raft, and even if the player uses the raft from the bag. I had to stop playing here, because even if I tried to use a walk through walls hack to get through, it seemed to just throw the whole thing out of whack.
  • Ok we are recording- Should be Ok, we are recording. (Or, I think it's technically OK/Okay, but that seems like weird spelling specifics so I wouldn't worry much there)
  • \PN takes on a adventure should be "Take on a new adventure", since they started it as "I, \PN, takes on a new adventure". Same goes for "tries to survive", it should be "try to survive".
  • There's a weird line jump with we travel to? It's a whole new line after "we"
  • "insteresting" should be "interesting"
  • "To make things more interesting, This time, I will be"- "this" should be lowercase, because there hasn't been a new sentence started
  • "Currently we still havent reached our destination yet but"- should be a comma after currently, and an apostrophe in "haven't". (If you're getting that error where Essentials shows a block with an apostrophe, it's because some sites and docs use a different character for apostrophes? But Relic Castle uses one that matches Essentials' fonts, so you can copy one here and use it there.) Should be a comma after "yet"
  • "Hope you are excited too."- should be a comma after "excited"
  • There's a space that shouldn't be there in "Ok ! CUT!", right before the first !
  • "We don't do this live you know." - should be a comma after "live"
  • "I guess" is missing a period
  • "I need to make sure I use my pokeballs wisely"- should be Poke Balls, or Poké Balls if you like to get fancee~
  • apostrophe in "We havent arrived at the destination yet"
  • "I am getting so board in here"- should be "bored"
  • "Everyone !" has the space in front of the !
  • "Lets get going"- should have an apostrophe, so it's "Let's"
  • "Ah you got your items"- should be a comma after "Ah"
  • "Lets go!" - apostrophe
  • "One of the most deserted island in the world"- should be islands, plural
  • "Are you sure you want to this?"- looks like you're missing "do"
  • "Are you sure about this." - there seems to be two spaces after "about", and it should end in a ?
  • "I am more of excited now to Explore, And to capture all the moments"- "Explore" and "And" should be lowercase, remove "of"
  • "A bed too"- should have a comma after "bed"
  • "The perfect place to reset for tonight"- I think you mean "rest"?
  • "What a strange and wired Dream"- dream should be lowercase, I think you meant "weird"?
  • There's spaces before the !s when the kid yells "Eeek!" and "Help me!"
  • "towards the Forest"- forest should be lowercase, unless you mean for it to be capitalized, in which case there's another instance where its lowercase
  • "My friends dont have pokemons"- should be "My friends don't have Pokemon"
  • "its dangerous" should be "it's dangerous"
  • "Dont worry"- should be "Don't"
  • "our friends too" should be "your friends, too."
  • "pokeballs in your belt. It means you are a pokemon trainer." Should be "Poke Balls" and "Pokemon"
  • "wild pokemons" should be "Wild Pokemon"
  • "(I should search for the Kids)" Kids should be lowercase.
  • "I should search for all the childrens"- Children is already plural, it doesn't need the s
  • "Dont worry I am here to help you"- apostrophe in Dont, comma after worry
  • "The Kid the now follows you"- Kid should be lowercase, remove the second "the"
  • "Please, Scare it" scare should be lowercase
  • "for scaring the pokemon away"- Pokemon should be capitalized
  • "where I travel though" - should be through, not though
  • "Of how we do our daily works and there is a important" should be "How we do our daily works. There is an important"
  • "Have this as a gratitude for helping the Kids"- kids should be lowercase, remove "a"
  • "that will help your further treverse though this"- your should be you, treverse should be traverse, though should be through
  • "However crafting items"- comma after however
  • The message on the tree asks the player to use the pickax, not the ax
  • Welcome !!! - space after welcome should be deleted
  • Ma Maa.. - Mama is just one word, and ellipses are ..., not ..
  • unconcious should be unconscious
  • Hi, My name - my should be lowercase
  • do you Abo?- comma after you
  • Abo just says "Ah" with no punctuation, I don't think that was intentional?
  • Also those who does- should be "those who do", comma after "also" (though I'd personally change it to "and", it flows better imo)
  • "Some says that"- should be "Some say that"
  • "Its just a makeup story" - should be "It's just a made-up story"
  • "I want to make sure, I get to"- remove the comma
  • why dont- apostrophe in don't
  • "this Annual festival today"- annual should be lowercase
  • "our culture thought this festival" - "thought" should be "through"
  • "Its just"- apostrophe in "It's"
  • "Oh by the way, you"- comma after Oh
  • "I wonder who build that"- "I wonder who built that?"
  • "not big but the people" - comma after big. (also, it seems a little oddly-written to me- "but" implies a contrast of some sort, but why wouldn't a small island lead to people living close together?)
  • "have dinner tonight as a one big family"- delete "one" or "a"
  • "the visitor everyone been talking about"- missing "has"
  • "too much of stuffs"- "too many things"
  • I think you meant "firewood" instead of "fireworks", because Taka says it's for the bonfire?
  • "Its so cute"- "It's so cute"
  • "some short of lines" - sort, not short
  • "Here I will make them ready" - "Here, I will get them ready"
  • "ready for the Bonfire"- lowercase bonfire
  • "Its so great to have a dinner" - "It's"
  • "Take a place and Sit down"- lowercase sit
  • "munched down some Food"- lowercase food
  • CONCEQUENCES - CONSEQUENCES
  • Its almost morning- It's
  • As the sun rose and a new day started- should be started, since rose is past tense
  • These peoples- These people
  • I dont know who- apostrophe in don't
  • Dont worry, they are here to test your skills, I will heal your pokemons- apostrophe in Don't, pokemons should be Pokemon
  • Ehe, You found all the slowpokes?- lowercase you, capitalize Slowpoke
  • Oh also, My brother - comma after oh, lowercase my
  • "If you meet him, say about me"- switch "say about" to "mention"
  • to befriend with wild - either "to befriend" or "to be friends with"
  • Its too dark down there- It's
  • Ok enough of him- Ok, enough of him
  • to befriend pokemons- should be Pokemon
  • Its been not long, actually its been- should be it's in bother cases
...I'm gonna be honest, at this point I stopped keeping track of typos because there were too many and it was really slowing down my gameplay.

Anuran

Trainer
UPDATE
A lot of changes has been made in this new V.3 Update
Download link V.3 - https://mega.nz/#!Mr5zSBYQ!QAA_u1WhcBCV6awc_9_t9YLSol_mnPmffNu1Ot1W62o

Polishing (The Changelog is huge)
  • Wall connections on map have been redone. (Inside the Boat)
  • Fixed some priority errors in the doors.
  • Changed the conversation between the Lady and the MC to be more realistic.
  • The Protagonist now does an "Eye closing" animation when you take a nap in the beds.
  • No more OP Glooms in #2 Map.
  • Every custom items now have their own custom Icons. There are a lot of custom items, so check them out.
  • Forest's Entrance shadows have been fixed.
  • Some change in actions and conversations so that it makes more sense.
  • Changed the Smile Emote's animation sound effect.
  • The swampy water in the established area is now unpassable. But it isn't the case in the Actual swamp map. They will give you encounters
  • Fixed some blank text box the player has to pass through in Map #4
  • BackSprite of the MC now doesn't have a hat. It now matches the overworld sprite and his trainer card sprite.
  • Fixed being able to backtrace a bridge in the parallel universe without any animations.
  • Fixed many passibility errors on Trees.
  • Ryuk says some different dialogue after he shows himself to match what happens.
  • Siv now no longer says "Anu" and rather refers to the \PN (Player)
  • Fixed a lot of typos (As given by TechSkylander)

Bugs Fixed
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character can't use the Surf Item (Raft).
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character can't use the Rock Smash Item (Pickaxe).
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug where the main character travels back to the default map if your team faint during the beginning.

Also, Thank you TechSkylander for pointing those out.
Also, you got something wrong in these parts
It feels weird to me to have the adults just stand around and ask a stranger to find their kids for them- I feel like they should be moving around and looking on their own.
It's because the People on that island don't use their pokemon in battle. Siv explains that in the latter part of the story.
Some revival items and PP-restoring items in the nightmare sequence would be nice
There is actually 5 PP Max in the nightmare sequence. Maybe you missed them.
You can just flee from the Slowpoke and still finish the quest- which was nice for my guilt, but probably not what you intended!
Ah! Are you sure? Because I had it set as "False" from fleeing from the battle. I couldn't flee in my playthrough.
Map 7 shows an indoor battlefield for wild encounters
Yea but it seems like the Water battle back during surf doesn't set itself. So if I apply a battle back in that map, the grassy battle back appears even over the water tiles while surfing. So I left it be.
And again, Thank you so much for your efforts. English is like my 3rd language and I am not very fluent in it.

There is actually 5 PP Max in the nightmare sequence. Maybe you missed them.
I did see them! Unfortunately, I think you're a bit confused- the PP Ups boost the maximum PP for a move, but they actually don't boost how much PP you currently have. So, say I ran out of PP on Rock Throw for Rhydon- I could use PP Ups to increase how much PP he had when he was healed, but I'd still be out of Rock Throw until I could heal again.
Ah! Are you sure? Because I had it set as "False" from fleeing from the battle. I couldn't flee in my playthrough.
It definitely stayed that way for me! I'm not sure why!
Yea but it seems like the Water battle back during surf doesn't set itself. So if I apply a battle back in that map, the grassy battle back appears even over the water tiles while surfing. So I left it be.
Hm, I could've sworn the water battleback is called automatically when the player surfs? But maybe the raft has thrown that off.
And again, Thank you so much for your efforts. English is like my 3rd language and I am not very fluent in it.
No problem! In the future, you can always paste your text into something like a Google Doc, and it should have some spelling/grammar checks for you!

Anuran

Trainer
  • The battle back sprite while underwater was showing Brendan sprite.
  • Lowered encounter rates in Cave#1, Cave#2, Underwater, #6,#7, Surfing significantly.
  • Brought the arrow to find coal a bit lower since some people may miss it.
  • Added more healing mana pillars in White#2.
  • Fixed being able to completely bypass Siv's 1st talk if we don't enter the Cave before going to restaurant (by adding a blockage).