A Couple Questions on Autotiles

RaVeN_1515

Twitter: @RaVeN_1515
So I wanted this water animation. The bad thing is I don't know things that would affect it.

How much time goes by in between frames in RPGXP? I believe I set my example at 450millisecs. It looks like the waves move waaay too fast when it's any shorter.

How many frames are allowed? This one is at 80 atm, and I love it. It looks very laggy with 20 to 40 frames.

Say I use this, if it's possible. Will 80 frame autotiles put a big toll on my game?

DogzNDogz113

Arbiter of Doggos
I will answer your question to the best of my knowledge, which isn't much, but here we go:

Autotiles and RMXP are not in a very good relationship with each other. I'd suggest you be austere in your usage of them when it comes to quantity of animated autotiles in a map.

Now, when it comes to speed itself it depends. If you make the game update it more frequently than normal, then yes, when you go over a certain threshold (though I don't know when exactly it is that the lag begins) you will face some slowdowns. As far as number of frames is concerned, even if that doesn't boggle the engine down (which probably will), having a gazillion of still (or fill-in) frames is not good optimization.

It'd be better to use code to make certain frames display for a larger period of time than other frames - provided this is possible within RGSS1. For instance, you'd want frame 2 to be displayed for x amount of seconds, or repeat said frame for x amount of seconds. Be aware however, that these depend on the framerate of your game. If your game runs at a 60 FPS, these will display faster of course! If you're using Essentials, the framerate can be changed in the RGSS2 compatibility script. So before you make any changes, make sure you've settled on your FPS number.

While RMXP has a lot of performance issues, these can be mitigated by using MKXP,
https://reliccastle.com/threads/2303/

which, although not a workaround to unoptimized approaches, can very much destroy lag due to it running later versions of Ruby and being much faster.

In case your game is not really Essentials heavy, there's always PSDK:
https://reliccastle.com/threads/1973/
which runs RGSS3, and is lag-free.

I hope I helped! There are many people here who are exceptional programmers and can probably answer your question better, hope they chime in.

Good luck with your project!

RaVeN_1515

Twitter: @RaVeN_1515
Thank you! I've had to redo this anyways because of the joints in the Autotiles when it's low tide. 😒

Since I'm not goin for a Pokemon game, I'm hoping to use alot of triple battles. I need to figure that out, and then I believe I'll be good for awhile.