Is it possible to create more Flexible HM/Hidden Machine moves?

DahniMae

Rookie
Question about Pokemon Essentials 17.2 specifically

I've been looking for awhile to see if I can find any resources to do what I want, but haven't been able to find any, except that the idea of it appears apparently in Pokemon Insurgence, but I have no idea how to view the scripts inside that to see if I can do what I want to do so not exactly useful to me

What I want in the end is basically this:
6 HMs defined as 6 major ways of interacting/exploring the overworld, but the HMs are more just describing an effect, and what things needed to trigger them are more flexible/variable, like a list of moves where any one can be used, or by Pokemon Type, rather than just one move that has to be learned by a Pokemon in the party

1) Remove Obstacle
This obviously combines Cut and Rock Smash, or rather, the core script would be essentially "obstacle blocks path, to unblock, check if pokemon in party knows a move from a list of moves associated with the object." and then it could be adjusted for each unique obstacle/object:

the Cuttable Tree requires Cut, Slash, Ember, Flamethrower or Fire Type etc
the Smashable Rock requires Rock Smash, Brick Break, Double Kick or a Fighting Type etc
the Meltable Ice requires Ember, Flamethrower, Bubblebeam, Water Gun or a Fire or Water type move/Pokemon etc
the Sleeping Pokemon requires Sound Based Moves so Uproar, Boomburst, Round etc

1) Move Obstacle
This is sort of a combo of Strength and Headbutt, where the object either moves a space forward (Stone Block), or shakes violently in place (Big Tree) and it requires any of Strength, Headbutt, Psychic, Whirlwind, Earthquake, anything big and powerful enough to shake things up, or just Require a Fighting or Psychic type

3) Instant Travel
I always wondered why Fly/Dig/Teleport couldn't just be combined into a single HM. Teleport/Dig already only really have unique uses inside things like caves/houses where they bring you back to the front entrance. In the overworld, everything just takes you back to a Pokecenter, so why not just have a single HM that does different things based on whether you are inside or outside? and just make Teleport the HM since physical barriers don't really matter then. And then any Psychic type has the ability to activate the move once you learn it

4) Water Movement
Same thing for Surf, any water Pokemon should be able to be used Surf/Dive/Whirlpool/Waterfall, it should only check if an appropriate type is in the party. You can still lock some things for progression sake though, just because Goldeen can dive doesn't mean player can breath underwater, needs scuba gear item, but the functionality of dive can still be used by any water type pokemon.

5) Force Resistance
So this is basically an HM needed where when you enter a map, a force pushes you out of it unless you have a Pokemon that knows some kind of Protection move, like Protect, Detect, King's Shield, Mat Block, Baneful Bunker etc and whatever pushes you out can be variable like a Sandstorm, Windstorm, Electric storm, underwater currents etc

6) Reveal Map
This is basically just Flash/Defog combined, but could be given the effect by any Electric move/pokemon for Flash or Flying move/pokemon for Defog depending on the map.

I know there's lots of "turn HM into Key items" scripts, but that isn't what I want, I want HM Moves to be in some way editable, just like through all the PBS textfiles for other things

All that's needed in the scripts is to define the actual mechanisms, but how to trigger it I feel could be relegated to a more flexible format.

(and additional number 7 of HM types could be a combo Rock Climb/Waterfall where it just moves you upwards in certain areas of the map, again like Cut/Rock Smash just different areas requiring different move lists)

Mountainsides = Rock Climb, Dig, Rototiller, High Horsepower etc or Rock Pokemon
Waterfalls = Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Muddy Water, Hydro Pump etc or Water Pokemon
Updrafts = Fly, Gust, Hurricane, Whirlwind or Flying Pokemon

How hard of a thing would this be to code for Pokemon essentials 17.2?

MGriffin

Trainer
I know there's lots of "turn HM into Key items" scripts, but that isn't what I want, I want HM Moves to be in some way editable, just like through all the PBS textfiles for other things

All that's needed in the scripts is to define the actual mechanisms, but how to trigger it I feel could be relegated to a more flexible format.

How hard of a thing would this be to code for Pokemon essentials 17.2?

At a guess I'd say that if you have to ask, it's going to be too difficult. But if you wanted to try I'd start with making everything configured via scripts, and once all the effects work how you like you can think about how to move the configuration into a PBS file.

Hollow_Ego

Cooltrainer
I don't think it has to be too difficult. In my game I also have a list of moves that can be used as alternatives to HM.

In the existing scripts you just need to add the checks for that and you can also add checks for Abilities and types