Demo Pokémon Present

Ekat

Bowser's Cony Island Disco Palace

The Team
@Michael
@Ekat

Introduction
Pokémon Present revolves around Sylvester, a kind, albeit surly, officer-turned-detective in Riverview City. Sylvester works alongside his not-quite-canine unit, Swinub, to solve minor cases. Tracking down missing cheques and ice sculpture vandals don't come without risks, however; the frigid metropolis is home to ordinary people and criminals alike. To uncover the truth, Sylvester steps on the toes of some of the city's most important figureheads... as well as the mafia's.

Features
Features include:
1. Multiple sidequests, some of which are interconnected, others which have relations to the game's major cases
2. Three major cases to solve
3. A clue-gathering and mystery-solving mechanic
4. The ability to sniff out hidden clues with Swinub
5. A city setting that expands as you unlock new cases
6. Pokémon up to gen 7
7. A(n)(originally unintentional) large amount of Spongebob music

Game Screenshots

Credits
[SEs]
Vovo
Yoni Arousement

[BGMs]

A list of songs and their composers can be found here.

[MEs]
PocketMonstersMusic

[Pokémon Overworlds]
Clara
PrincessPhoenix
LunarDusk6

[Misc Graphics]
Mikker
BobDSmith
Sora Havok
Unas
TiarnyTurnabout
Kutter
demondays_54
AJ Nitro
torterra09
Nemica

[Battlebacks and Bases]
Desgardes
Smartypanda
AJ. Nitro
JigglyPuffGirl

[Pokémon DPPt Trainers and HGSS Trainers]
Eevee
Pika
Pipian
Zhen Lin
Nx-Kun

[Gen 6 Pokémon Icons]
xPokeJosex
M3rein
Sergiofr_18

[Gen 6 Pokémon Sprites]
Smogon XY Sprite Project

[Fogs and Panoramas]
Heisenman
Anonymous

[Battle Sprites]
Pokemon Gen 5 Sprites
Smogon XY Sprite Project
Smogon SuMo Sprite Project

[Pokemon Reborn Tiles and Battle Animations]
Ame and the Reborn Team

[Pokemon Rejuvenation Tiles]
Jan and the Rejuvenation Team

[Tiles]
Heartlessdragoon
Nemau
AJ. Nitro
Badatman3
demondays_54
Zein

[Scripts and PBS]

[Map Exporter and Marin's Utilities]
Marin

[Pokémon Gen 6 Project]
karstictrainer<s>WorldSlayer
TheDeKay<s>viperk1
SunakazeKun<s>Radical Raptr
RPD490<s>Takyon!
Pokegod7020<s>mej71
~JV~<s>TheDeKay
Maruno<s>XmarkXalanX
Ratty524<s>joeyhugg
Nickalooose<s>Lucidious89
AmethystRain<s>AlexTCGPro
Destiny<s>baaabuuu
trueegee<s>woobowiz
Saving Raven<s>DL Kurosh
p.claydon<s>dragonnite
Drakath569<s>Florio
MrDeepDarkMind<s>snooper117

[Gen VII Moves and Abilities]
Marin
Zeak6464
Buttjuice
Tapu Fini
SpartaLazor
leparagon
BlackOutG5
Rune
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_ConeX
James Davy
Luka S.J.

[Location Signpost Script]
Tustin2121

[Terrain Sounds Script]
game_guy

[Pokemon Not Deposited Into PC Script]
Rot8er_ConeX
Marin

[Party Switcher]
Jonas930
(With minor edits by me).

[Starter Heart Script]
Mr. Gela

[Name Windows]
Mr. Gela

[Starter Heart Script]
Mr. Gela

[Advanced Map Transfers]
Luka SJ

[Playtesters]
@Scyl

[Essentials Team]
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out!

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Special thanks to the members of the
Thundaga Community for their input,
criticisms, and general hilarity.

Download

Notes
Please do not DM Michael or I on RC or on Discord asking for solutions to any of the cases. They are fairly basic in nature, and if you feel you are stuck, keep talking to NPCs relevant to the case. They will guide you to where you need to investigate next or what you need to do next.

You must install the fonts in order to play the game. There is one extra font beyond the default Essentials in the fonts folder. Certain text, such as on the menu and summary screens will not show up otherwise.

Finally, Swinub does not evolve in this demo, but will in future demo releases through a story-related event.

Last edited:

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
Please do not DM Michael or I on RC or on Discord asking for solutions to any of the cases. They are fairly basic in nature, and if you feel you are stuck, keep talking to NPCs relevant to the case. They will guide you to where you need to investigate next or what you need to do next.
+1 for figurin' stuff out for yourself! (Which I'm really bad at.)

Michael

That One Guy
Updated the dl link to provide a minor fix to the bank! Enjoy!

[EDIT] Updated the link again to fix another error that was occurring with the tile puzzles!

Last edited:

Manul96

Rookie
Please i need help.I am in the 3 chapter and i dont know what to do ,i managed to get in the spaa what i can do nothing else. I literally talked to every npc in the game. PS: I also i am stuck in the ghost case,i cant enter the room in the left in the penthouse,i have the key to the other room.
If someone could help i would apreciate a lot.

I'm just at the start of Case 2, and I'm loving this game! There's so many nice touches in the graphics and features (never would have thought overworld Pokemon would work so well in Essentials!), Sylvester becomes a greatly enjoyable protagonist within a few lines of the intro, and it's so fun to explore mysteries in the Pokemon world!

A few suggestions:
  • There's a typo if you confront Mordecai with his testimony-he says "aorund" instead of "around"
  • I think Snowboard Brad just says "This suck" instead of "This sucks", but I might have just clicked too fast
  • Sylvester says "I here ethereal blue" in the shadow zone, but it should be "I hear ethereal blue"
  • I really would have appreciated it had it been more clear I could have brought evidence the manager in Case 1. I know the idea behind disguising that was to keep it a secret until the player suspected him, but keeping the choice menu the same as it was at the start gives the impression that the player can't do anything different with him, even if they do suspect him. (The only reason I even figured it out was because I looked at my save data to see if I was missing something-I was convinced I had skipped an important clue along the way) Since clearly-innocent characters like Mr. P also have the option to be confronted, I don't think it'd be an instant reveal to have the conversation with the manager start like it does with the others.
  • A few of your tracks fade out and restart instead of looping? I only noticed that because I was idle for a while, though, so I don't think it'd be noticed in standard gameplay.
  • The music inside the hotel covered up the footsteps effects, and I know that's not a huge deal (especially since the player can turn it down), but I think there must have been some special attention to detail if you went so far as to include specific sounds for different textures, and I'd hate for that to be missed!
  • It looks like you have a passibility issue here, outside the haunted penthouse: https://66.media.tumblr.com/6d17c46358a65255382e739d58bc566d/tumblr_pkjctoAypB1w5miaho1_400.png
  • If you call for a pizza in the shadow realm, the great music that plays doesn't cut out after the call. (at least, it didn't on the first phone by the bed, I didn't check the others) It kinda undermines the mood to have the pizza theme playing as you explore.
  • Was it intentional that the stairs in the shadow zone get screwy? I couldn't tell if it was meant to add to the effect or not. (That's just a question bc of confusion on my part, not something you have to change)

Also, totally unrelated to suggestions
That hidden Gengar battle was hilarious

Michael

That One Guy
I'm just at the start of Case 2, and I'm loving this game! There's so many nice touches in the graphics and features (never would have thought overworld Pokemon would work so well in Essentials!), Sylvester becomes a greatly enjoyable protagonist within a few lines of the intro, and it's so fun to explore mysteries in the Pokemon world!

A few suggestions:
  • There's a typo if you confront Mordecai with his testimony-he says "aorund" instead of "around"
  • I think Snowboard Brad just says "This suck" instead of "This sucks", but I might have just clicked too fast
  • Sylvester says "I here ethereal blue" in the shadow zone, but it should be "I hear ethereal blue"
  • I really would have appreciated it had it been more clear I could have brought evidence the manager in Case 1. I know the idea behind disguising that was to keep it a secret until the player suspected him, but keeping the choice menu the same as it was at the start gives the impression that the player can't do anything different with him, even if they do suspect him. (The only reason I even figured it out was because I looked at my save data to see if I was missing something-I was convinced I had skipped an important clue along the way) Since clearly-innocent characters like Mr. P also have the option to be confronted, I don't think it'd be an instant reveal to have the conversation with the manager start like it does with the others.
  • A few of your tracks fade out and restart instead of looping? I only noticed that because I was idle for a while, though, so I don't think it'd be noticed in standard gameplay.
  • The music inside the hotel covered up the footsteps effects, and I know that's not a huge deal (especially since the player can turn it down), but I think there must have been some special attention to detail if you went so far as to include specific sounds for different textures, and I'd hate for that to be missed!
  • It looks like you have a passibility issue here, outside the haunted penthouse: https://66.media.tumblr.com/6d17c46358a65255382e739d58bc566d/tumblr_pkjctoAypB1w5miaho1_400.png
  • If you call for a pizza in the shadow realm, the great music that plays doesn't cut out after the call. (at least, it didn't on the first phone by the bed, I didn't check the others) It kinda undermines the mood to have the pizza theme playing as you explore.
  • Was it intentional that the stairs in the shadow zone get screwy? I couldn't tell if it was meant to add to the effect or not. (That's just a question bc of confusion on my part, not something you have to change)

Also, totally unrelated to suggestions
That hidden Gengar battle was hilarious
Thanks for catching all of this stuff!

The music and stairs are both intended however but I have fixed the typo and made the Manager more obvious that he can be accused. I also fixed both of the typos as well.

Overall, really glad you're enjoying the game this far though!

I'm beginning to see the love for that song! (It is both terrible and excellent that it's come up twice now)

It's just gotten better as I've gone through! Sylvester's characterization is really great (as hard as it is to see him beating himself up like that), and all the puzzles in the manor were really fun! So are the Escape Rooms, including Rooms in a Pokemon game is such a clever idea, I love it! And I know the man says they're random, but I did get an Anorith when I won at one-are all the prizes fossil-themed, to match the theme of the rooms? That's neat!

I did find a few more minor things playing through:
  • Mordecai's "But ever anything" when solving Case 2 should be "but never anything"
  • In the birdseed scene, Sylvester's "definietley" should be "definitely"
  • Telling Mlle Richler "nothing", or asking what she's doing will leave her theme to continue

I'm pretty sure those were the only errors I saw at all, though, it's really well-polished!

Michael

That One Guy
I'm beginning to see the love for that song! (It is both terrible and excellent that it's come up twice now)

It's just gotten better as I've gone through! Sylvester's characterization is really great (as hard as it is to see him beating himself up like that), and all the puzzles in the manor were really fun! So are the Escape Rooms, including Rooms in a Pokemon game is such a clever idea, I love it! And I know the man says they're random, but I did get an Anorith when I won at one-are all the prizes fossil-themed, to match the theme of the rooms? That's neat!

I did find a few more minor things playing through:
  • Mordecai's "But ever anything" when solving Case 2 should be "but never anything"
  • In the birdseed scene, Sylvester's "definietley" should be "definitely"
  • Telling Mlle Richler "nothing", or asking what she's doing will leave her theme to continue

I'm pretty sure those were the only errors I saw at all, though, it's really well-polished!
Thanks for catching these my dude! You're really a big help and we both appreciate it!