Overseer of the Abyss
- Apr 24, 2017
When you put new things into people’s hands, they’ll find ways to utilize it to do things they never could before. The Puppet Era of Gensokyo brought about radical changes to how its inhabitants handle all sorts of things, from their daily lives to conflict, from the Human Village, to the peaks of Youkai Mountain and the depths of the Underground. Puppets rocked the realm into a new age, a fascinating age where even more possibilities could exist.
This story is about four teenagers from the Human Village, who have decided that they want to sneak out of the village one night. Why? Rumor has it that there is an abandoned mansion, hidden away in the forests. If one listens hard enough, then they can hear what sounds like music coming from it. “But if it’s abandoned, then how can it be playing music?” This is what our protagonists hope to find out, as they discover the truth behind The Mansion of Mystery.
--Okay now I KNOW what you're thinking. You're probably thinking "Derx, this isn't Faith & Prayer Version! What're you doing!" Except, you probably aren't thinking that because I'm new here, and there's no thread for Faith & Prayer Version here! Well, forget what you don't know about Faith & Prayer Version for now, we're discussing something else! We're talking about a small project I made (and finished! Wowie!) back during October called Touhou Puppet Play ~ The Mansion of Mystery.
The game was built for the Pokecommunity Game Jam, "Blinded By The Fight" back in October, where you had to follow a specific theme to enter - the theme being utilizing the Dewford Gym darkness circle mechanic. When I saw the theme, I knew instantly what I should make (Though I spent a few days during early development cementing ideas). As such, the game is extremely short - roughly 2 to 4 hours, maybe longer depending on factors.
It revolves around a group of four from the human village and their expedition to uncover the truth behind “the mysterious mansion that has music coming from it”. The writing of the game is about as close to your average Touhou plot as I could get, and the way the game is handled is also similar: Six core stages, one Extra stage that gets accessible only if you can Perfect Run (1cc/no blacking out) the entire game. The difficulty is a bit rough, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the 1.8 Type Chart, but it is beatable without grinding, and in one shot. The game also has a slightly modified EXP system, where you get x1.25% exp (5/4ths) for beating a Puppet, just to make up for how short the game is, and how quickly the levels ramp up as a whole. It's balanced around battling every trainer, so take that into consideration!
Honestly, making this game was extremely fun! The deadline let me keep myself in check, and I needed fresh blood to work on to try and get me back in the swing of development. I’m glad I made it and took part in the game jam! So far I’ve heard good feedback about it (even one of the judges said it was a close race for first between mine and first place!), and I know I put in a lot of effort to make the game as good as I possibly could! It is my hope that you all who download and play it can enjoy it just as much, if not more, as I enjoyed making it! Granted I took second out of three, but it was an extremely close second according to the judge.
A link to the game can be found here: Touhou Puppet Play ~ The Mansion of Mystery (ver. 1.2)
A comprehensive list of credits can be found in the spoiler, because it's very lengthy and detailed.
--- Graphics ---
- Spyro: Graphical assets for Puppets
- Kasael: Fairy trainer sprites
- HemoglobinA1C: Aside from being the developer of Touhoumon, the artist of all the sprites not designated by someone else
- Irakuy: Overworld sprites and a few trainer sprites
- Akiraita: Modification of one of Irakuy's sprites
- Uda-shi: Developer of Gensokyo Scenario, which is where some of the tiles come from
- AmethystRain: Artist of the North/South Stair Tile in the Mansion Tileset
- Dairi: Artist of the original portraits used on the continue screen
- Stuffman: Lyrica's Keyboard Overworld Sprite
- FocasLens/Fantasy Puppet Theater: Developers of Gensou Ningyou Enbu -Yume no Kakera-, and distributors of the Asset Collection pack for said game, which is where the portraits and backgrounds for the Vs. Transitions come from. (https://pastebin.com/EHK7HsXf )
- Mr. Unknown: Artist of several of the tracks present in game
- Dimension of Reverie (Human Village)
- Youkai Modern Colony (Forest of Magic)
- Witch's Ball ~ Magus (Marisa Kirisame's Theme)
- Misty Lake (Misty Lake)
- Alice in Wonderland (Ruined Western Mansion - Floor 1)
- Alice Maestra (Ruined Western Mansion - Floor 3)
- Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble (Prismriver Sister's Theme)
- a-TTTempo: Artist of several of the tracks present in game
- Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon (Rest Stop theme)
- Love Colored Master Spark (Vs. Trainer)
- Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes (Vs. Wild Puppet)
- Higan Retour ~ Riverside View (Basement)
- Uda-Shi & KecleonTencho: Artists of several tracks present in game.
- Illusionary Night ~ Ghostly Eyes (Ruined Western Mansion - Floor 2)
- Because Princess Inada Is Scolding Me (Victory! Vs. Trainer)
- Reach For The Moon, Immortal Smoke (Victory! Vs. Wild Battle; Also featured in Captured Wild Encounter)
- Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea (Captured Wild Encounter)
- Our Hisou Tensoku (Evolution)
- The Year-Round Absorbed Curiosity (Fairy NPC Pre-Battle theme)
- The Great Fairy Wars ~ Great Fairy Wars (Zephyr Fairy Theme)
- Healing, Level Up, and Item Obtained all come from Gensokyo Scenario
- brawlman9876: Reinstrumentalizer of various midi tracks present in game
- Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When? (Youmu Konpaku's Theme)
- Heian Alien (Nue Houjuu's Theme)
- Beware The Umbrella Left There Forever (Kogasa Tatara's Theme)
- Deaf to All But The Song ~ Flower Mix (Mystia Lorelei's Theme)
- ZUN: Artist for several tracks used in game
- Did You See That Shadow (Title Screen)
- Memory of Forgathering Dream (Introduction)
- Mystical Dream (Continue Screen) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Plain Asia (Keine Kamishirasawa's Theme) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Phantom Ensemble ~ Piano Mix (Lyrica Prismriver's Theme) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Evening Primrose (Ending Theme) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Eternal Full Moon (Credits Theme) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Hourai Illusion ~ Far East (Ruined Western Mansion - Roof) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Magical Girls' Crusade (Layla Prismriver's Theme) [Midi reinstrumentalized by Derxwna]
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Artist of a track used in game
- Midnight Sonata ~ 3rd Movement (Possessed Keyboard cutscene)
- NuruYuri: FModEX Script
- KleinStudio: Map Exporter, Mosaic Transformation Fix
- Luka S.J.: Slight modifications to the code to allow music-based shenanigans in Stage 1
- Mej71: Multi-Save Script, Vision-Altering Darkness Circle
- Zeus81: Video Player script
- Rot8er_ConeX: Doppleganger Trainer script
- Maruno: Pokemon Essentials. The entirety of the modern build.
- Marin: Toggleable Turbo Script