Working on game with multiple people

joey-and-rattata

Novice
So i have another person who will be helping with my game by making maps, scripting and whatnot. I am wondering how it will be possible (if at all) to work on the same game without necessarily having to transfer the files over to each other with each change

Jonas930

Is anyonre there?
You can upload your game file on google drive or dropbox and shared the link to your friends or team. So when I finish working on the data, it will sync the file to other people.

MGriffin

Trainer
You could have a look at source control but to a certain degree transferring files (or at least, information about the files) is sort of a requirement for working on a team.
If you're using Git specifically, I have some (currently unpublished) things that make changes in Scripts.rxdata visible to "git diff", "git grep", etc. Grep in particular I find very helpful.

I don't have any filters to help with automatic merging, so you'll have to either manually merge using the output of diff, or build those yourself.

If this sounds useful to you feel free to PM and we can try and get a release together. And possibly have a look at supporting maps, events, and so on too.

Luka S.J.

Wastage of Time
Hi three years later does anyone found a better way ? I have the same problem
Unfortunately the nature of RMXP as software doesn't allow you to open the same core project on multiple different machines at the same time without overwriting someone's project files. The best you can do is set up a directory sync for yourself and/or members; have one person work on the game, then push the changes to everyone, then have another person work on it, push the changes to everyone else ... etc.

Lerou Mehou

Rookie
Unfortunately the nature of RMXP as software doesn't allow you to open the same core project on multiple different machines at the same time without overwriting someone's project files. The best you can do is set up a directory sync for yourself and/or members; have one person work on the game, then push the changes to everyone, then have another person work on it, push the changes to everyone else ... etc.
I see.
I have to thank you even though it's kind of the answer I didn't want. I hope they will make updates in the future.

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
I see.
I have to thank you even though it's kind of the answer I didn't want. I hope they will make updates in the future.
They really won't, RPG Maker XP is a 17 year old software and hasn't received any updates in about as long. Really, if you're looking for any game engine that supports simultaneous modification like how you can do on Google Docs, you won't find it because the very nature of programming won't allow it (can you imagine if you're trying to run your game and someone is editing your code in the middle of it?). You'd run into similar issues with maps and sprites, too.

My personal setup is having my full game folder on Dropbox and sharing it with my team via Dropbox Desktop. In addition, Essentials has recently made a modification which allows you to extract scripts from the script editor (Scripts.rxdata) into individual files that you can edit with a program like Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. This allows you to use source control (GitHub) as Dragonite mentioned in the second post. You can see the base Pokemon Essentials repo for more details: https://github.com/Maruno17/pokemon-essentials. So, my setup also includes a GitHub repo with just our scripts and PBS files, and whenever one of us makes a change on GitHub, we also update the Dropbox engine (which is just a simple drag-and-drop). As long as we coordinate our work (who's doing what) at any given time, it works pretty well. This is just one setup, obviously there are others that you can try to explore as well.