Completed Pokémon Castaway

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
This game was a delight, thank you so much for all your work! I found that for me personally, the funnest part was actually in the beginning when you were just desperately fighting for survival and trying to scavenge beach and the wreckage to find enough resources to survive.

Any news on future ideas? Would love to see a game focused more around that survival mechanic :)
Thanks! I'm really glad that you enjoyed the Castaway! As for your question, Michael and I have a couple other games to our names as well. Pokémon Pumpkin is one of mine (and is uh, really out of season at the moment), while Michael and I have a demo out for another game called Pokémon Present. Neither are as difficult as the beginning areas of Castaway, however. They both have a few experimental mechanics in them (like a trick-or-treating system and an evidence-gathering criminal-confronting system) if you want to try them.

I also know that Michael is working on a short demo of a fangame called Autumnleaf. And, knowing my boyfriend like I do, it'll probably be pretty difficult.

If metagame is really your thing, I'd recommend games like Pokémon Reborn, Rejuvenation, and Desolation, which are pretty notorious for their difficulty, depending upon the difficulty setting you choose. You will be EV and IV training if you play any them. Another game from the Reborn forums we (Michael and I) really enjoyed playing was Pokémon Conspiracy. It might be just a demo, but it's got an interesting story set up so far, and the game is on the challenging side, but not to the extent that it feels impossible. If you're just looking for games that do something different with their environment, Attack on the Space Station is a really good one, too.

Happy fangame hunting!

Ahh! These sound really cool :)

I was more talking about a ...abandoned on an island, forced to manage what little resources you have and surrounded on an island with dangerous pokemon out to kill you xD That was what I thought I was going on at the beginning and it was really tense and threatening

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
Ahh! These sound really cool :)

I was more talking about a ...abandoned on an island, forced to manage what little resources you have and surrounded on an island with dangerous pokemon out to kill you xD That was what I thought I was going on at the beginning and it was really tense and threatening
Oooh, I see! Hukon's Pokémon Wayward follows that theme as well, although the game has a less tense atmosphere. (His games are oftentimes more humourous, and his writing is always spot-on.) Without spoiling too much, you'll definitely be battling some intimidating wild Pokémon, as well as some wacky trainer battles.

SkinnyDude

Rookie
Is it possible to do a Nuzlocke of this game? Just wondering before I start it and then realize I can't. Are their any fan made pokemon? If so is there a way I can access their png of what they look like?

Last edited:

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
Is it possible to do a Nuzlocke of this game? Just wondering before I start it and then realize I can't. Are their any fan made pokemon? If so is there a way I can access their png of what they look like?
Yes, it is possible to do a Nuzlocke of the game, although it does not have a formal Nuzlocke mode, so you would be regulating yourself.

There are a few special Pokémon that appear in this game, but they are not obtainable by the player, nor will I post a picture of them.

YozoraRyou

Rookie

Hi, I would like to ask about this crossed out boxes, what are these?
I have the (assumed) latest version v2.1(?) and updated with the graphics extension(?) for anyone going to ask about it.

*Edit another problem*

For some unknown reason, it got stuck whenever I try to get through this path.
I can't move forward if this path is "bugged/blocked" by unknown reason.
It's a shame that this is such a great fanmade game if I can't play/complete it

*Edit 2*
Also, a suggestion.
Maybe you should put a readme file together with the download about controls and some other miscellaneous kinds of stuff.
I had a hard time figuring out how to change controls/find out what the controls are and whatnot.
Also, you should've specified that this game is not emulated/romhack-type of game from the "main post" since I had no idea what it ran on as well till I researched on it.

Last edited:

Ekat

That One Guy's GF

Hi, I would like to ask about this crossed out boxes, what are these?
I have the (assumed) latest version v2.1(?) and updated with the graphics extension(?) for anyone going to ask about it.

*Edit another problem*

For some unknown reason, it got stuck whenever I try to get through this path.
I can't move forward if this path is "bugged/blocked" by unknown reason.
It's a shame that this is such a great fanmade game if I can't play/complete it

*Edit 2*
Also, a suggestion.
Maybe you should put a readme file together with the download about controls and some other miscellaneous kinds of stuff.
I had a hard time figuring out how to change controls/find out what the controls are and whatnot.
Also, you should've specified that this game is not emulated/romhack-type of game from the "main post" since I had no idea what it ran on as well till I researched on it.
Hm, I'm not sure why those graphical bugs are popping up- I'll ask Michael if he changed the tilesets or something in an update, because that should not be happening. What platform are you playing the game on, and/or did you change the graphics files of the game, screen size, etc? Because that's the only other reason I can think of that this would be happening to you.

**Edit**

When you said graphics extension, did you mean the resource pack? I realized upon further thinking that Castaway doesn't have a graphical update pack out right now, so that's the only thing I think you could be talking about? The graphics for the resource pack do not need to be included- this game was part of Relic Castle Game Jam 4, which holds the condition that the resources used to make in a game (like graphics) need to be uploaded to the site so that other devs can use them in their games. I know that the tileset in the resource pack and the one in the current version of Castaway have slight variations due to later updates of the game.

**Double Edit**

Michael got back to me and checked the resource pack and we are now 99% certain that you adding the resource pack is the problem. The missing tiles on your map coincide with the ones that are in the current game's graphics. In order to restore this, you will need to replace the tileset graphic with the original. This can be found in the game's tilesets folder (which in turn is in the graphics folder) . I assume you just replaced the files, rather than outright deleting them, so here's the original tileset graphic. If other things appear to be missing from the game, I would just recommend re-downloading the game without the resource pack changes. Your save file will copy over, so there's no need to worry about restarting.

As for this being a fangame, it states quite clearly in the thread credits that it is one, as it is made with Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP. Honestly, it's really basic knowledge and easy to tell the difference between a romhack and a fangame. I don't mean to take this out on you, but it is very frustrating to have to explain the obvious over and over.

As for the rocks, they are a known problem that Michael and have yet to find a solution for. All we can advise is that you 1. Don't hold the run button while going over them 2. Save before jumping across them.

Thank-you for your input, however. Michael and I are planning to do another major update of the game as its 1-year anniversary is coming up, and because the game has been getting an influx of new players lately. We will consider re-adding the controls tutorial option for people who are absolute beginners when it comes to fangames.

Last edited:

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
there is a bug on the rock jumping parts where the game gets fully stuck.
Michael and I are aware of the rocks bug. We've yet to find a fix for it, but have noted that running across the rocks seems to make the problem more likely to occur. All we can suggest for now is that you save before going across any jumping segments, and do not try to change directions mid-jump.

YozoraRyou

Rookie
Hm, I'm not sure why those graphical bugs are popping up- I'll ask Michael if he changed the tilesets or something in an update, because that should not be happening. What platform are you playing the game on, and/or did you change the graphics files of the game, screen size, etc? Because that's the only other reason I can think of that this would be happening to you.

**Edit**

When you said graphics extension, did you mean the resource pack? I realized upon further thinking that Castaway doesn't have a graphical update pack out right now, so that's the only thing I think you could be talking about? The graphics for the resource pack do not need to be included- this game was part of Relic Castle Game Jam 4, which holds the condition that the resources used to make in a game (like graphics) need to be uploaded to the site so that other devs can use them in their games. I know that the tileset in the resource pack and the one in the current version of Castaway have slight variations due to later updates of the game.

**Double Edit**

Michael got back to me and checked the resource pack and we are now 99% certain that you adding the resource pack is the problem. The missing tiles on your map coincide with the ones that are in the current game's graphics. In order to restore this, you will need to replace the tileset graphic with the original. This can be found in the game's tilesets folder (which in turn is in the graphics folder) . I assume you just replaced the files, rather than outright deleting them, so here's the original tileset graphic. If other things appear to be missing from the game, I would just recommend re-downloading the game without the resource pack changes. Your save file will copy over, so there's no need to worry about restarting.
Yes, it's the resource pack, and I see, that's the problem. It should be an easy fix then.

As for this being a fangame, it states quite clearly in the thread credits that it is one, as it is made with Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP. Honestly, it's really basic knowledge and easy to tell the difference between a romhack and a fangame. I don't mean to take this out on you, but it is very frustrating to have to explain the obvious over and over.
Don't worry about it, and yeah. Now that you mentioned it, it's stated there in the credits. It's my fault for not reading it properly XD

As for the rocks, they are a known problem that Michael and have yet to find a solution for. All we can advise is that you 1. Don't hold the run button while going over them 2. Save before jumping across them.
Alright, I'll give it a try and will contact you again if the same problem occurs.

Thank-you for your input, however. Michael and I are planning to do another major update of the game as its 1-year anniversary is coming up, and because the game has been getting an influx of new players lately. We will consider re-adding the controls tutorial option for people who are absolute beginners when it comes to fangames.
That is great news! Will definitely be looking forward to the major update!
However, the controls tutorial to me is important in any game(with an exception if it's a chained series of games under the same individual)
Also, I would like to have some controls customization (I'm not sure if that is already available, but I do come across a setting that looks like controls customization, but had no idea what controls is associated with what actions. As shown below.)

And thanks for the detailed explanations and replied. Hardly any devs would actually do such things!

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
Yes, it's the resource pack, and I see, that's the problem. It should be an easy fix then.

Don't worry about it, and yeah. Now that you mentioned it, it's stated there in the credits. It's my fault for not reading it properly XD

Alright, I'll give it a try and will contact you again if the same problem occurs.

That is great news! Will definitely be looking forward to the major update!
However, the controls tutorial to me is important in any game(with an exception if it's a chained series of games under the same individual)
Also, I would like to have some controls customization (I'm not sure if that is already available, but I do come across a setting that looks like controls customization, but had no idea what controls is associated with what actions. As shown below.)

And thanks for the detailed explanations and replied. Hardly any devs would actually do such things!
No problem-o! I'm sorry for any inconveniences that things like the control set-up has caused you. Causing people headaches is pretty much the opposite intention of being in gamedev, haha. I've attached a graphic of the controls for Essentials if you ever want to use that for reference.

Also, in response to your other reply:

Yep! That's a special boss, one of four optional minibosses in the game. Beating three of the four will unlock a superboss, which nets you a fun easter egg if you like Final Fantasy.

YozoraRyou

Rookie
No problem-o! I'm sorry for any inconveniences that things like the control set-up has caused you. Causing people headaches is pretty much the opposite intention of being in gamedev, haha. I've attached a graphic of the controls for Essentials if you ever want to use that for reference.

Thanks, that would totally help a lot!

Also, in response to your other reply:

Yep! That's a special boss, one of four optional minibosses in the game. Beating three of the four will unlock a superboss, which nets you a fun easter egg if you like Final Fantasy.
Gdi, I knew it xD

xshamirx

Rookie
Recently found this game and I am loving it. I love exploring the world, and the beginning survival aspect of it was very interesting and fun. The overworld pokemon add alot to my enjoyment. I have two questions.

*SPOILERS*

a) I defeated a certain underground boss and got a lucky egg, while the description is the same... It seems that I can't equip it. Is this a glitch or by design?

b) Why did that treasure hunter SLICE INTO MY ARM?! was not expecting that at all...

Great game by the way!

Michael

That One Guy
Well since the Castaway thread is getting traction again, I decided to do a major graphical overhaul and QOL upgrade for Castaway!

This update includes:
  • A large number of areas which have had their graphics updated since the first version of the game
  • Lowered encounter rates for the more annoying areas of the game
  • A speed up button to allow the game to progress faster - the button is mapped to ALT
  • Gen 7 support for abilities, movesets and items
  • A few minor modifications to character designs
We hope you enjoy the update and continue to enjoy Castaway! Cheers!

monalyssa

Rookie
Hello,

I am having trouble getting past the part after you get the "precious item". I go back to the entrance where 4 people ambush me but then afterwards it says that I don't have the item (even though i do...) Also when i try go to the entrance again, the game crashes.
When i restart i have to fight the 4 people again as well.

Pls. help.