Completed Pokémon Castaway

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
i just beat it!! ty for making it & letting us play! I like the pokemon variety a lot, like there are a lot of pokemon around but they all feel really appropriate for their setting & i got to use a team w/ a lot of pokemon i'd never used before!!

Tacking on to the last few people tho, my fletchinder also never evolved (found it in the PBS data & the evolution method line is in there & everything??)
Michael and I are trying to troubleshoot the issue, but we can't seem to figure out what the cause is, especially since it works just fine for the both of us inside and outside of debug. He said that he'll upload a new copy of the game soon, or at least a mirror, to see if that does the trick.

And thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

pokemondude

Rookie
Hi. This is a really stupid question. How do I play the game? I downloaded the correct link and then unzipped the file, which gave me a folder. Now, what do I do? I have a Mac Book Pro 2017. Is this a game I play with Desmume? If so, how do I play it? If not, how do I play it? This is a stupid question, I know, but I cannot figure it out.

Iron_Rx

Novice
Hi. This is a really stupid question. How do I play the game? I downloaded the correct link and then unzipped the file, which gave me a folder. Now, what do I do? I have a Mac Book Pro 2017. Is this a game I play with Desmume? If so, how do I play it? If not, how do I play it? This is a stupid question, I know, but I cannot figure it out.
This game is not a Romhack. Desmume won't help. It's made in RPG maker. On Windows, you just have to click Game.exe and it runs without any kerfuffle.

On a Mac, you might need to mess around with Wine or WineStaging. I can't really help with that but maybe someone will come along who can, if you get stuck.

pokemondude

Rookie
This game is not a Romhack. Desmume won't help. It's made in RPG maker. On Windows, you just have to click Game.exe and it runs without any kerfuffle.

On a Mac, you might need to mess around with Wine or WineStaging. I can't really help with that but maybe someone will come along who can, if you get stuck.
Thanks! Ill try to figure something out then.

Last edited:

dg009

Rookie
hello everyone im new here and was just searching for some fan games and i liked pokeon castway but for some reason i can't download it please help me

pokehacks1

Rookie
Watching some youtube videos on the game and would love to start playing, but i don’t know what to download it on. what emulator do i need to run this game??

Chambres

Rookie

That's strange, because I just debugged in a Fletchinder with a new copy of the game and it works just fine evolving. I asked Michael and he hasn't made a new upload of the game, either. Which I know for a fact is true because he's been driving since yesterday on vacation.
I have the same Problem tried to play a little bit around with PBS file. Rewrote the evolution line, tried to change it to another lvl. Nothing works. Mine has a Nickname, maybe thats what makes a problem. Playing Version 2.0.1

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
i’m having the same issue. the download link won’t work for me for some reason.
Checked the download link and it is up and running perfectly fine. What are you trying to download it on? This game is PC only fangame (Windows only, unless you're going to try to use Wine on a Mac), which could be your problem if you're treating it like a romhack that needs an emulator. If it isn't the platform you're using, then it could potentially be your firewall, internet, etc.

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
I have the same Problem tried to play a little bit around with PBS file. Rewrote the evolution line, tried to change it to another lvl. Nothing works. Mine has a Nickname, maybe thats what makes a problem. Playing Version 2.0.1
Thanks for poking around! I checked the game again and it is the nickname which is causing the issue for some reason. Michael's the coder, so I'm going to ask him to look at that and put out a fix when he gets the chance.

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
Watching some youtube videos on the game and would love to start playing, but i don’t know what to download it on. what emulator do i need to run this game??
As I and many others have already stated on this thread, this isn't a romhack, it's a fangame. That means you do not use an emulator to play the game. You download the game from the beginning of the thread, extract the zip file, and then run game.exe. Because this is a fangame, you cannot play it on your phone, nor can you play it on something like a Mac without having a program like Wine.

This game was a delight, thank you so much for all your work! I found that for me personally, the funnest part was actually in the beginning when you were just desperately fighting for survival and trying to scavenge beach and the wreckage to find enough resources to survive.

Any news on future ideas? Would love to see a game focused more around that survival mechanic :)

Ekat

That One Guy's GF
I may sound like a lazy guy, but are there any cheats in this game? Laptop crashed and I want to continue the game ASAP without grinding.
This is a fangame, not a romhack, so there are no "cheats." (If you to own RPG Maker XP and know your way around v17.2 of Pokémon Essentials and its debug mode, you can debug your party, the levels of your Pokémon, etc.) I can, however, give you some quick tips on how I did my runs through the game while it was in the playtesting phase.

1. Don't bother with training up any of the starter Pokémon. (But if you really want one on your team, go with Barboach.) Instead, try catching an encounter like Helioptile or Tropius on Bermada Beach. (It's important to note that the tall grass on the sand has different encounters than the regular tall grass, too.) Tropius especially has a type advantage throughout the Plane Wreckage and Bermada Rise. It's pretty bulky in addition to that.

2. Also, don't bother grinding your Pokémon on random wild encounters. Instead, fight the overworld Pokémon. These are higher-leveled than the random encounters, and they are set to give three times the amount of experience you would normally get from a wild Pokémon, to compensate for the lack of trainers in the beginning areas. The fact that you get the EXP All right after you finish the plane will help you train up your Pokémon team pretty quickly. The difficulty curve eases out once you reach the Village of Mist due to the abundance of trainer battles there.

I'm sorry to hear that your laptop crashed. As someone who does all her dev stuff on a laptop, having it crash on me while I'm in the middle of something is the absolute worst. Hopefully I was able to be of help, though!