Completed Pokémon Castaway

Michael

That One Guy

I still get stuck here NW of Argon's Camp. I'm on version 1.7.
yeah the softlocking is random - theres literally no way to actually prevent it, you just have to take the puzzles slow - removing running shoes from the player just eases it a bit.

Deo

the north star
Administrator
I love it. This game is absolutely excellent.

The amount of detail that went into the presentation and polish of this game are awesome. I can appreciate the small touches as both a player and another developer. The mapping is superb, the music choice is pleasant, the fogs and ambience are on point. Anyone who says gen 3 can't be gorgeous should really play this game, it's proof that with some elbow grease it can look even better than most of the gen 4 games out there. (In my opinion, of course!)

I have nitpicks, which shouldn't be surprising. I think the level curve is still a bit too spike-y if you want to let the Player's wild Pokémon stay competitive with the curve itself. I've had to drop a handful of team members simply because they couldn't keep up. I'm not sure if you have the Split EXP setting on for the EXP share, but I'd suggest turning it off if you do. That might help smooth it out a bit. There was also a large amount of floating battle sprites.

Some quality of life tweaks would be welcome; namely showing the "would you like to swim" message only the first time and letting the Player simply go into the water when they interact with it in the future. The same goes for the fire; by the second or third time I do understand that the Player feels relaxed around it, I think it would be fine to get to the point and ask what they wanted to do immediately. I also noticed there's no evolution music or jingles for it. While not a requirement by any means, I think it would be nice to see some more custom UI for the battle scene. The default EBS scene has been, well, seen quite a bit after all. This game definitely warrants that extra bit of time into something like this, not that I'm counting the lack of it against the entry. You had a month after all.

Those aside? Superb game. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I don't think anything past the point where I am is going to change my mind about this entry. Kudos!

Yeah I was right, my mind isn't changed. Excellent game, didn't see who the boss was going to be at the end hahaha. I'm not sure if you have custom movesets on their team though; their Armaldo knew Water Gun and their Malamar (with Contrary) had Calm Mind. Lots of battles in the end, but it was neat either way!

Last edited:

Michael

That One Guy
Version 2.0 is finally out! This version provides a bunch of changes to menus such as a custom summary screen, load screen and new battle ui! As well, I've taken the liberty of fixing all of the floating sprites (this killed me inside) and added a couple more scripts to improve overall quality. Enjoy!

PKat01

Soulful Poet
I'm having a little trouble with downloading, but the game sounds really great and it looks amazing in the screenshots.

Edit: I managed to get it downloaded and I've really enjoyed it so far.

Last edited:

J.Dreamer

Dreamer Juan
Wow. How didn't I find this game sooner? First start of the game gets interesting and I like how the story goes. I wanna finish it with collecting as many clues as possible.

ezlaturbo

Rookie
Version 1.7 is out! - this will be the last update that affects any gameplay elements as the game has now been all ironed out and I believe that all bugs have now been squashed (any future updates will just be cosmetic). This update also adds another secret boss fight after you have completed the game!
how do you get more pokeballs before fighting argon?

ezlaturbo

Rookie
Cool, thanks. The game is great and is the best Jam game I have played yet. Argon is a bit too overleveled if you didn't catch Rotom. I would appreciate either raising the leveling rate of the wild pokemon, or lowering the level spike.

Michael

That One Guy
Cool, thanks. The game is great and is the best Jam game I have played yet. Argon is a bit too overleveled if you didn't catch Rotom. I would appreciate either raising the leveling rate of the wild pokemon, or lowering the level spike.
If you're referring to Argon in the lab, he's only higher leveled as theres a good amount of battles in the next area. Also you might not know but the overworld encounters give 3x the experience of normal battles. Cheers!