Battle Debug Menu [BDM] for Essentials v.17+ (Preview)

Hollow_Ego

Cooltrainer
Battle Debug Menu [BDM] for Essentials v.17+ (Preview)

THIS IS NOW AVAIABLE AS A RESOURCE!

Hi everybody,

some of you might have already thought of this while debugging their game: a debug menu that you can use in battle.

I went ahead and started coding it. First thing I tried was to actually make it so that you can open a menu from the battle screen. Turned out to work differently than expected, but I got it working. Then I asked myself: What function could or would you need while debugging?

My conclusion so far:
- Set stat changes reaching from -6 to 6
- Change the battlers ability
- Trigger On-Active Abilities (like Intimidate)
- Change the HP, set status conditions or completely heal your Pokémon
- Let the battler faint
- Alter the move set and set PP
- Look at the opponents summary screen
- Skip Turn and do literally nothing
- Force Opponent to switch out
- Set the weather and it’s duration
- Alter Field Effects such as Grassy Terrain
- Alter the effects that apply to a side
- Alter the effects that apply to a battler
- Change the battlers typing
- Force Mega Evolution

The named functions are so far implemented and working. There are still some bugs though and I might need to change the layout of the menu because it is not behaving the way it is supposed to be.

Also here is a short list of functions I want to add:
- Maybe some more stuff for ability testing (with a big question mark as there might be not much more I can do)
- Make it so that the next move will hit (skip accuracy check)

As you can see the list is really short. So if you have any ideas what could be added as a function please write it here. I’ll put it on the list if I feel like this could work.

Main Menu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: this is a toggle message if you decide that you don't want to force a switch

NOTE: There is no downloadable version yet! Once this whole thing is stable enough (and people are actually interested in it) I will release a download including instructions on the set up as real resource here.

Credits go to the whole Pokemon Essentials Team which already made almost all the functions I used here!
Check it out here: https://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki

PS: The battle UI is not part of the battle debug menu ;)

Last edited:

chikorita

Novice
A few questions/suggestions:
Does it allow you to change de battlers types (Fire, water, etc)?
Status conditions, like curse, confusing, attract are implemented?
Anything about entry hazard like spikes, toxic spikes, stealth rock?
Mud sport, water sport?
And what about crit? Can you make the battler have focus energy (which is not mandatory since you can just setup)? Or atleast make the next used move be a crit hit.

I looked up at bulbapedia to see I'm not missing anything that might be relevant, gameplaywise.

Anyway, great work! It could even be in the stock essentials for more ways to debug a game, this way developers could use it to make more challenge games without actually breaking it (like leveling up and having evolved pokémons).

Even if you don't release the script to the public, I'm excited to see what kind of battles you'll be able to make (:

Hollow_Ego

Cooltrainer
Does it allow you to change de battlers types (Fire, water, etc)?
No, but this might be possible since it is in battle. Will look into that :)

Anything about entry hazard like spikes, toxic spikes, stealth rock?
Entry Hazards fall under effects that apply to a side, so will be a thing

Mud sport, water sport?
Those are already possible to change, as they fall under effects that apply to the field
I added a screenshot of some of those effects

And what about crit? Can you make the battler have focus energy (which is not mandatory since you can just setup)? Or atleast make the next used move be a crit hit.
You will be able to do that by altering the effects that apply to a battler. There you also have Focus Energy which will result in a critical hit

Status conditions, like curse, confusing, attract are implemented?
Those are not implemented yet but will be next up. Just to give an idea: There are 108 effects that could apply to a battler, so i will need some time to actually implement them

Hollow_Ego

Cooltrainer
This sounds really handy!

One thing I wanted yesterday was the ability to force a Pokémon to mega evolve (mine and/or the foe's).
You can already mega evolve yours pretty easily. But for the foe... yeah that'd be a thing to consider