[Legacy] Bug report thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Pokémon Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
Bug Reporting for the Pokémon Essentials Engine
This thread is for you to report any bugs you may have found in the latest version of Pokémon Essentials. It is specifically for bugs that exist in an unmodified copy of the latest Essentials version. If you have problems when adding custom code or making modifications of any kind, they don't belong in here.

The latest version of Pokémon Essentials is currently 18.1.

When reporting a bug, please bear in mind the following:
  • Try to ensure that the bug hasn't already been reported. If you can give additional information about an already reported bug, that's fine, but plain repetition is pointless.
  • Make sure the bug can be replicated.
  • Ensure that the bug does in fact happen in an unmodified copy of the latest version of Essentials. Don't assume a bug from an older version is still there just because you can't see the Essentials change log mentioning it's been fixed.
  • Make sure the bug you have encountered actually is a bug, and not intended behaviour.
  • Provide as much information as you can about the bug, including any error messages that appear, as well as the circumstances that caused it.
Thanks!

Old Bug Reports thread: http://reliccastle.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=880

Last edited:

Xerado

Novice
Hello. There's only a few bugs pertaining to some moves which bug out. No crash occurs, only an error message and the battle turn ends as normal.
It happens when using Magic Coat when an enemy is going to use a stat-lowering move against you. Also, i'm unsure what exactly the Chatter scripts are for, but Chatter replicates a similar bug. Showing the move animation, then error message. Then the next turn starts.

Maruno

Pokémon Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
Do you want to show us the error messages you're getting? They contain information about the errors and are quite useful.

HollowGap

How am I still alive
From using Chatter. We ended up changing the move altogether.

unknown.png

Xerado

Novice
Yes. Here is the screenshot of the error log when using Magic Coat followed by the enemy using Growl.

Xerado

Novice
Another bug, this one is inexplicable and I can re-create it almost every time.
For some strange reason, in a double battle, if an opponent sends out a new Pokémon and you switch a new Pokémon in yourself on the same turn-
the chat box text goes to the absolute smallest setting, making it completely illegible.
But then resets on battle end. I don't know where to begin with this one, lol.
EDIT: It seems like this was happening because in a double battle, if the trainer name has the '&' character it will result in an underscore when put into comment and script commands. This apparently somehow causes any simultaneous switch-ins on the same turn to resize the default text about as small as it seems possible. I don't know why, but it does.

Last edited:

MGriffin

Trainer
If you have two connected maps that both have fog you get some pretty funky effects from them overlapping as you transition between those maps.

I have a really nasty fix where I change Game_Map to delay running autorun/parallel process events until the player is physically on the map, and also change MapFactory to immediately set the fog opacity to 0 when the player leaves the map, but I imagine there has to be a better solution?

Code:
# Game_Map
    # Only update events that are on-screen
    for event in @events.values
      if in_range?(event) or event.move_route_forcing or
-        event.trigger==3 or event.trigger==4
+        (event.map_id==$game_map.map_id and (event.trigger==3 or event.trigger==4))
        event.update
      end
    end

# MapFactory
  def setCurrentMap
    return if $game_player.moving?
    return if $game_map.valid?($game_player.x,$game_player.y)
    newmap=getNewMap($game_player.x,$game_player.y)
    if newmap
+     $game_map.fog_opacity=0
      oldmap=$game_map.map_id
      if oldmap!=0 && oldmap!=newmap[0].map_id
        setMapChanging(newmap[0].map_id,newmap[0])
      end
      $game_map=newmap[0]
      @mapIndex=getMapIndex($game_map.map_id)
      $game_player.moveto(newmap[1],newmap[2])
      $game_map.update
      pbAutoplayOnTransition
      $game_map.refresh
      setMapChanged(oldmap)
    end
  end

risusen

Rookie
In a real Pokemon game, a short looped theme plays when a trainer lays their eyes on you such as this:
For some reason Pokemon Essentials decides to use MEs for pbTrainerBattle and all its related PBS data which will not deliver a loop due to the characteristic of an ME of playing just once.

To circumvent this problem, I decided to try two things:
1. Modify some segment of the code to play BGMs instead of MEs and memorize the map BGM to play it after the battle ends.
2. Use the built in event functions to memorize the map BGM, play the trainer intro as a BGM, and restore the map BGM after pbTrainerEnd. (This is not desirable as it involves hard coding each event)

Both approaches I tried however results in the trainer intro playing for about half a second after the battle ends before transitioning back to the map BGM. I don't think this behavior is intentional.

MGriffin

Trainer
I wanna say that Fire Fang has a 1% burn and 1% flinch chance.

It's 10% in the PBS file:
Code:
142,FIREFANG,Fire Fang,00B,65,FIRE,Physical,95,15,10,00,0,abei,"The user bites with flame-cloaked fangs. It may also make the target flinch or leave it burned."

But then in pbAdditionalEffect we also apply a 10% check to both effects:
Code:
class PokeBattle_Move_00B < PokeBattle_Move
  def pbAdditionalEffect(attacker,opponent)
    return if opponent.damagestate.substitute
    if @battle.pbRandom(10)==0
      if opponent.pbCanBurn?(attacker,false,self)
        opponent.pbBurn(attacker)
      end
    end
    if @battle.pbRandom(10)==0
      opponent.pbFlinch(attacker)
    end
  end
end

Interestingly the same thing happens for Ice Fang, but not for Thunder Fang (which has 100 in the PBS).

However even Thunder Fang doesn't work correctly with Serene Grace, because it generates a 10% chance without consulting the ability.
EDIT: Nor does the "hold ctrl to generate the secondary effect in debug mode" thing work, for the same reason.

Last edited:

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
I'm not sure if I should call it a "bug", but whenever you have an event following you and you tell them to stop following, they disappear from existence. You should at least be able to find them in the same spot where they were before without having to refresh the map.

Oh, and don't even get me started with that annoying bounce you see whenever you transfer maps!

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
I don't know if the error is that if you surf near this guy you surf on land or if it is that this guy can approach land. But I do know that something is wrong
EssentialsERror.gif

DerxwnaKapsyla

Overseer of the Abyss
The purify machine in 17.2 is broken in a lot of regards;
When you go to select a Pokemon for any cell, it pops up the party selection ui, but the cursor defaults to the box selection. You have to scroll down to where the party option is to actually access party members.
But that's all moot because...
You can't press the confirm button on this screen, at all.

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Unsure if this bug's known for 17.2 (by the way the OP still says the current ver is 16.2)
Summary: Fleeing in double battles doesn't work properly
Description: Two level 20 Pokémon vs. a Level 100 and a Level 1 Pokémon
When attempting to flee, there's a chance it'll fail (because of the Level 100), but in Gen 5 games (the only games where you can find wild double battles without a partner Pokémon, in which case you wouldn't have two turns to spend in the first place) fleeing (and failing to do so) will end both your turns, making the wild Pokémon act.
jtMalHj.gif

E6RlTPR.gif

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
Summary: Common Events changed in the Compiler were not updated in the editor after running the game.
Description:
I noticed a small bug regarding compiling and processing Common Events in the Compiler section:
QXw2LG4.png

This is in Compiler, right at the end of the pbCompilerTrainerEvents function. Line 3438 is what used to be there, and line 3437 is what I replaced it with to fix it. I noticed this issue because I had this in a common event:
t4Gedfr.png

In the first line, "$game_variables[27]" is supposed to be replaced with "pbGet(27)" as per the pbFixEventUse function call, but after compiling the game it stayed the exact same as shown in the picture above. However, when I replaced line 3438 with 3437, then ran the game, I got this:
iXm9JpH.png

So it finally updated that line, which I'm pretty sure is the intended behavior.

NoodlesButt

Addicted to Jams
Found in V17.2
Summary:
The player can choose the target for the enemy when they are encored in a double battle.
Description: In a double battle if the player encores an enemy, on the next turn the player can select the affected enemies target.
I recorded an example here:
When the AI is making a decision and the pokemon is encored, pbAutoChooseMove is called which calls pbChooseTarget if in a double battle and other conditions are met. I wouldn't know myself what should be changed to prevent this but thought I'd just point out where the issue occurs.
auto-Choose-Move.png

Mr. Gela

Code:
        textpos.push(["Cost: $#{pbDayCareCost(i)}",8+i*Graphics.width/2,y,0,base,shadow])
Debug_Actions
pbDayCareCost isn't a defined method, crashing the game.

Mr. Gela

Jukebox is a bit funky:
* I switch to the "March" BGM via the Jukebox main menu, it starts playing, replacing the map's BGM
* Go to Custom
* Select Default → Does nothing, I'd expect it to return to the map's original BGM.
* Select a track like the Underwater one, then Default again → Does nothing, Underwater.mid keeps playing
* If you select a track in the Custom menu, then go back to the main menu and choose March/Lullaby/Oak, they won't play → They will only play if you select Default in the Custom menu.

Trainer Card voice recording issue:
When opening the Trainer Card after recording, the Windows sound mixer settings will be overridden, restoring the Game.exe's volume all the way up. This is very annoying. Windows 10.

These tiles in front of the player sprite should be walk-able (FRLG comparison):
FYMFdn1.png

TRzcfiO.png

Last edited:

Scyl

Ironically Unironic Edgelord Extraordinaire
Using the "Animations" tabs in the RPG Maker XP Database doesn't work; the OW animations don't play when called in via the "Show Animation" event command.

Status
Not open for further replies.