1. Maruno

Maruno Thread Author Pokémon Essentials dev ubessdev

Report Bugs in the Latest Version of Essentials

Discussion in 'Pokémon Essentials' started by Maruno, Apr 19, 2017.

Bug Reporting for the Pokémon Essentials Engine
    This thread is for you to report any bugs you may have found in the latest version of Pokémon Essentials. It is specifically for bugs that exist in an unmodified copy of the latest Essentials version. If you have problems when adding custom code or making modifications of any kind, they don't belong in here.

The latest version of Pokémon Essentials is currently 16.2.

When reporting a bug, please bear in mind the following:
    • Try to ensure that the bug hasn't already been reported. If you can give additional information about an already reported bug, that's fine, but plain repetition is pointless.
    • Make sure the bug can be replicated.
    • Ensure that the bug does in fact happen in an unmodified copy of the latest version of Essentials. Don't assume a bug from an older version is still there just because you can't see the Essentials change log mentioning it's been fixed.
    • Make sure the bug you have encountered actually is a bug, and not intended behaviour.
    • Provide as much information as you can about the bug, including any error messages that appear, as well as the circumstances that caused it.
    Thanks!

Old Bug Reports thread: http://reliccastle.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=880

2. WLD42

WLD42 Rookie member

I stumbled across an admittedly uncommon situation the other day.

In a Double Battle:
    • The two Pokémon active in the battle are the only two non-fainted Pokémon remaining in the party
    • One of the two Pokémon faints, leaving only one Pokémon left on the battlefield
    • A Revive (or other reviving item) is used on the Pokémon that just fainted
    Result:
    • The revived Pokémon immediately rejoins the battlefield; any attacks that target both Pokémon will damage/affect it during the same turn it was revived
    • Its back sprite and databox are missing
    • When attacked, the back sprite may or may not re-appear, very low on the screen; stat change animations (maybe attack animations too?) also appear very low

This only occurs if the Revive is used on the Pokémon that fainted last. If another Pokémon in the party is revived, the turn progresses as normal, with the opponent's Pokémon attacking, and then at the end of the turn the game asks "Use next Pokémon?" It does still occur, however, if the Pokémon that fainted last is revived even after turns have passed since its fainting.

Below is a GIF demonstrating the sequence of events.

3. kelsey

kelsey Novice member

I've encountered some move-related issues. Bide, for example, will run endlessly. I had a nuzleaf use bide on a ditto- ditto transformed into another nuzleaf that then also used bide, because neither were using attack moves, neither hit, and the game will just autoselect bide for the next turn (you can't change this and it never runs out of pp). I left the game running doing this for probably 30 minutes and eventually had to just quit without saving.

A similar thing happens with Uproar. A pokemon that uses uproar will just keep using it forever, until the battle is over, and the move will not end after a set number of turns or even when the PP should run out.

Another move that I've seen issues with is I think roar- I'll have to check, but basically what'll happen is the opponent will use roar, and it'll force your pokemon to switch out (all good) EXCEPT that when your new pokemon comes in, it'll use the last selected move for the previous pokemon- even if it doesn't have that move. It'll then get another turn immediately after wherein it'll use one of its own moves.

I know there's a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

JaceDeane and CloonieKing like this.
  4. Jephed

Jephed Trainer member

I have experienced this with moves such as Ice Ball and Roll Out as well.

kelsey likes this.
  5. Maruno

This was fixed in Essentials v16.2. Multi-turn moves automatically repeating themselves was most likely fixed in v16.1.

Unless you can assure me that you were in fact using v16.2 when experiencing all of the bugs you reported, I can't take any of them seriously.

6. kelsey

kelsey Novice member

Hey Maruno, I'm pretty sure that I am using 16.2 as I didn't even start using essentials or rpg maker until after 16.2 was out and I would've probably made sure I had the most updated version. Is there a way that I can check what version I'm using to show this to you?

** Edit ** unless of course it was fixed in 16.1 and I needed to download both that and the 16.2 update to make 16 most current. I was under the impression from the downloads page that if I downloaded 16 and skipped to 16.2 it would contain the updates from 16.1 as well, but if that's not the case then possibly that could be the issue

7. Maruno

v16.2 builds upon v16.1. It's enough to just get v16 and then immediately copy the v16.2 files into it.

Try replicating your bugs. I don't know where you initially encountered them, since you say things like "pretty sure" and "probably".

8. ShinyCyndaquil

ShinyCyndaquil Custom Title member

A strange graphical bug has occurring to me involving certain tiles while paying my game. I believe that it is happening only on tiles that have a priority of 1 or higher. What happens is there is a strange blank line along the bottom of the tile. This occurs on all tile sets. I also haven't edited any of the tile sets. Sadly, I don't know how to upload an image to this post, so I cannot get an screenshot of the bug (sorry).

9. Sparta

Sparta Someone who does something. member

First you need to upload the image to an image hosting site, and then you need to hit this button while posting:

[​IMG]
    Then you just paste the image's URL into the box when prompted and you'll have added an image to your post.

10. Fontbane

Fontbane Lettuce, Keep Me Warm... member

I've heard of (and seen) this bug before, and AFAIK it's a bug with RMXP itself, not Essentials, so unfortunately I don't think Maruno can help with that. It only happens if you set the screen size to large/full, so it should be fine if you just keep it at medium.

Aki and Dragonite like this.
  11. ShinyCyndaquil

ShinyCyndaquil Custom Title member

The opposite seems to be happening. The bug is only occurring when in Large screen, but not any of the other sizes. For now I guess I won't be testing in large screen.
    [​IMG]

12. Evilrake

Evilrake Rookie member

Weird bug in Essentials 17.1, likely the result of reflection changes: placing any tile underneath a 'still water' tile (terrain tag 6) causes the tile underneath to take priority.

Replicated in a clean version of Essentials 17.1. In Lappet Town, putting the pond on layer 2 with grass underneath on layer 1 causes only the grass to appear.

13. Maruno

That's not a bug. Still water tiles work as intended.

14. Evilrake

Evilrake Rookie member

How is it not a bug? It didn't happen in the past few Essentials versions, and it makes things worse. There's no situation where it would be better for a tile underneath to show on top of a tile above it.

15. Maruno

I made still water tiles behave that way on purpose. It lets water reflections render properly now, i.e. just on the water, not also the coastline. If you have a look at the example maps, you'll see how to map still water effectively.

Why do you want to put other ground tiles underneath water tiles anyway? Sounds like bad mapping habits to me, using unnecessary tiles.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  16. Evilrake

Evilrake Rookie member

It's not a problem if you're using the base essentials Gen3 tiles, where the water's edges are placed plainly on layer1. Beyond the Gen4 visual style, however, there are many layer1 terrains that take up more than 1 tile in size. My base grass, for example, is 5x4, and makes for a lot more visual variety and style particularly in open spaces. Because of this, I place the edges of my still water tile on layer2, and make its edges transparent so it can still blend into any element of the grass set. Up until this patch, this has worked fine.

Example here. As you can see the edge of the still water is not a hard line as in the base essentials.

I've flagged all my still water as oceans for now, so functionally there's no difference. These changes just mean that I can't have reflections in my game without making a unique tile for every time an element of the waters edge set meets an element of the grass set. I can see how they would make things more consistent/realistic where bridges etc come into play but it's a shame that one has to come at a cost to the other.

17. Maruno

I improved how reflections look in v17. I think this goal alone would be seen as a good thing by the majority of users. It turns out that the way I achieved this improvement was at odds with how you currently make your maps (more specifically, how you designed your tiles). You have yourself mentioned a solution to this: make more tiles. You wouldn't even be making them from scratch, as it's simply a matter of jigsawing your existing tiles together, and there's plenty of space in a tileset. Yet given the choice between making said tiles and calling it a bug (even after I said it wasn't one), you chose the latter.

This isn't a bug. I won't change it for your sake. There are multiple ways you can solve your problems simply through tile design. I don't think any more needs to be said on the matter.

JaceDeane likes this.
  18. TamsynnImogen

TamsynnImogen Rookie member

using Pokémon Essentials 17.2
    is there any news on how to fix the crash error caused by capturing certain multiple form pokemon such as genesect and deerling
    reported here
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9813994#post9813994

it looks like the bug seems to be somewere within the battle generating code or something because if you give the player one of the erroneous pokemon they can use that pokemon in a battle but if you capture a wild pokemon that pokemon is unusable

19. Marina

Marina Novice member

I'm using Essentials v. 17.2
    can someone help me, the game crashes everytime when I playtest it (I have no scripts!)
    I did no changes to the scripts... just changed the pbs files (pokemon.txt, abilties.txt, moves.txt, pokemonforms.txt, types.txt, items.txt)
    I do remember I didn't download any new sprites for battlers as I need to, maybe it's this doing the error?
    If you know how to fix TypeError i dunno what this is, can't open my game, I wrote a thread but no one answered yet, so I'm posting here (cause it could be a bug)

20. Aki

Aki the north staryu aki

Marina likes this.