Dismiss Notice
This section is for the discussion of the tutorials and resources on Relic Castle. To find tutorials and resources, check out the Tutorial and Resource Manager for optimal navigation.

Resource JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed 0.6

A ROM base without the ROM: All of FireRed recreated in Essentials

1. JohtoBlaziken

JohtoBlaziken Thread Author Bootlegger member

Resource JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Resources Discussion' started by JohtoBlaziken, Apr 27, 2018.

[​IMG]
    - A ROM base without the ROM -
    [​IMG]
    Current release: Demo v0.6

Includes all of Kanto (maps, NPCs, trainers, encounters...), almost all music tracks as looped .oggs, and is mainly lacking polish.

Next up: gym puzzles, finishing cutscenes, miscellaneous polish

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated to Demo v0.6!

What's new:

- (almost) all music from FireRed included as looped .oggs, looped by hand in Audacity. See the file loopsheet.xlsx in the main directory for loopstart/loopend/looplength information. Only a few miscellaneous music files not looped and included yet (Mewtwo battle, end songs).
    - Pictures show when you enter dungeons (Mt. Moon, Viridian Forest, etc)
    - Pewter roadblock event fixed
    - Running shoes aide event fixed

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  2. Mudstep

Mudstep Rookie member

This is awesome! Mind if I use this to make an Emerald bootleg?

3. JohtoBlaziken

That would be awesome---I would love to see that! Just imagine if there were bootleg Essentials versions of a couple main games (FireRed, Emerald, maybe Gold/Silver)...that would lead to some amazing possibilities.

In general, though, use it however you like!

4. FireMasterManiac

FireMasterManiac Fire Type Trainer member

I really love this but there's something that just annoys me. It's the use of capital letters on so much. Now in days people don't use POKEMON they simply put Pokemon and it's really irritating having to go into several events just to change this. If this gets more updates please either remove the use of Capitals where they aren't needed or add a separate file because it saves so much time

5. Maruno

Maruno Pokémon Essentials dev ubessdev

Nowadays things are capitalised properly, but this is a recreation of FRLG which put important words and names in ALL CAPS.

(Nowadays, not "now in days".)

6. JohtoBlaziken

Yes, I figured that would be a hit/miss decision; I personally think it's a cute throwback, but I can see how it might be annoying.

There isn't that much dialogue in FRLG, so I can probably just go through and add an if statement every time a character mentions a THING IN ALL CAPS. Do you think it would be better to have this controlled by a switch, a variable, or something else?

Exactly, MARUNO!

EDIT: Actually, I think there's a much slicker way to fix this issue. I can just add a dictionary into the dialogue handler that automatically converts (for example) PALLET TOWN to Pallet Town if a certain script parameter is true. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Look forward to it in the next demo release.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  7. FireMasterManiac

FireMasterManiac Fire Type Trainer member

For Maruno: Well FRLG are game titles but characters in the files say names in caps like "You wanna trade my MR.MIME for an ABRA?" it doesn't make sense because it's not normal. Example of this is "Hey guys I got a new DOG and his name is JOHN." That's not normal.

Also can't wait for more

8. silentgamer64

silentgamer64 Novice member

Should have asked me for help, I've already created most of those maps and events for my own game.

9. NoodlesButt

NoodlesButt Addicted to Jams member

If only JohtoBlaziken could read minds.

10. silentgamer64

Fair, but recreating the entirety of FR/LG can take a really long time so I'm sure he would appreciate any help/resources he can find.

11. JohtoBlaziken

Status update on that: it turned out to be an easy fix. You can use the gsub! function to replace ALL CAPS INSTANCES OF WORDS with All caps instances of words. I still have to go through and find all the things that are in capital letters, and add them to the search and replace table, but the functionality works fine. Do you need it soon?

Very true, but now (hopefully) no one will have that problem again!

You know, I've been working on that. My psychic powers are telling me you believe me!

------------------------------------------------------

Here's some easter eggs I haven't mentioned yet:

[​IMG]

There's a couple historical nods in there. It's at level 7 because that's the level you find it at when you do one of the Mew glitches in the original Red/Blue. The moveset (just Pound) is also what it would have at level 7 in Red/Blue.

The OT is MYSTRY and the ID is 06930---both of those correspond to the info of the Mew given away in a Pokemon Emerald-era event distribution. It's Timid because that's a common nature to run on a competitive Mew set, and it comes with perfect IVs. Finally, it comes with a Premier Ribbon, which was the ribbon attached to the HGSS-era event Mew.

Also...

[​IMG]

I put MISSINGNO. in the game! It has the same sprites/type/stats/cry/moveset/TM moves that it did in Gen I. It has three abilities:

1. download,
    2. cursed body (because it's cursed!!), and
    3. wonder guard (I couldn't resist).

I am thinking of letting it be a very rare encounter off the coast of Cinnabar Island, to reference the most common way to meet it in Red/Blue.

--------------------------------------

By the way, check out Zerokid's recently released demo of her FRLG remake if this project interests you. Apparently we have been working in parallel towards the same goal! She has some really cool ideas about how to remix FRLG that I didn't think of, and I hope to liberally borrow some of those for a future version.

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 6:04 PM
  12. silentgamer64

If you need any FR/LG resources hit me up. I have ui graphics, sprites, maps, etc.

13. Mudstep

Mudstep Rookie member

Hey JohtoBlaziken, if you need help with any maps, I'll be willing to help!
    Also, are you planning on adding the "previously on your quest" cutscene?

14. SuzuiXIi

SuzuiXIi Novice member

I found a bug, well, I don't know if it was intentional and you didn't know how to fix it, if that's the case I'll try so I can tell you.
    You see, on the Oak's Lab, when you say "No" to the starter choice, it gives you the starter anyways.
    Maybe I just did something wrong or something so I changed it but I wanted to share it with you.