Iron Mapper IRON MAPPER: Season 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Events and Competitions' started by Deo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Deo

Deo Thread Author Working on stuff! deo

How about another trial? The theme isn't as open as the last one, but there's still a lot you can do with it. Pretty excited to see what everyone can come up with for this one!

leilou, Arma, Limesy and 2 others like this.
  2. BluePlays

BluePlays [Enter Custom Title Here] member

Very excited to compete in this one, I was hoping I could get a bit of a break of mapping but when another Iron Mapper starts then that break is just going to have to wait. I can't wait to see what everyone does with this theme I am looking forward to it.

Limesy likes this.
  3. Limesy

Limesy Socially Inept member

Geez, that was quick. Awesome! Now's my chance to join since I missed the last one. The theme is really nice as well, you can do so many things with mountains other than those blank empty ones that you stumble across a lot.

It's iron mapper, not fluffy cloud playhouse mapper. No rest, only mapping. Get back to work!! :laughing:

4. Arma

Arma A Martian Hyena member

WHOOHOOO!! Man, I don't know why, but it's really awesome to see this competition back! Glad I took a random visit to this site. This pretty much guarantees I'll be at least a bit more active around here. Love the theme too, I've been using elevation in pretty much all of my outdoor maps to spruce things up, so I'm fairly confident when it comes down to mapping mountains.

... Even though it has been around a year since I even touched RMXP for the last time. n-n" Oh well, perfect excuse to get back into it!

Side note: Yay, I seem to have gotten my mapping badge back! =D
    EDIT: Spelling/grammar mistakes

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Fontbane, Deo, Marin and 2 others like this.
  5. Radical Raptr

Radical Raptr 78% memes radicalraptr

Hey Arma! it's always nice to see you! Mountains are my go to map, you can create natural borders and blockades that force the player to traverse how you want them to, while keeping the scenery fresh and interesting - I might rely on it a bit too much haha!
    It's been so long since I've sat down and worked on Game Dev work, I've just been so busy with school, I'm always excited to see your maps though! Good luck on the trial!

Fontbane, Arma and Marin like this.
  6. Deo

Deo Thread Author Working on stuff! deo

Hey, the results for Trial II of Iron Mapper are up! Go check them out! Congrats to @NoodlesButt@NoodlesButt and @Cilerba@Cilerba!

No ETA on Trial III, since the Pixel Slam Jam is running at the moment. Consider this your break haha.

7. kirlial

kirlial Novice member

That was an awesome trial and there were so many great entries! Congrats to both winners, those maps were both well deserving of a win.

Thanks for for the critique from the judges as well, it's been helpful so far!

AceTrainerGresh, leilou and Arma like this.
  8. Arma

Arma A Martian Hyena member

Grats CilerbaCilerba and NoodlesButtNoodlesButt! Really liked your maps, so it's no surprise to me that you guys won!

Also thanks for the feedback, it kinda confirmed what I was thinking. I was well aware of creating a rather 'tame' and narrow map (only gave myself two 8*6 'chunks' in width to work with, in order to keep things simple). So that explains why the path was rather linear. About the "mountain top" vs "grass" tile usage, I really wanted to give the impression that the map was getting more rocky as you're going up, but I can see your point. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks again for the feedback, you can expect something more daring for next trial!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Fontbane and Deo like this.
  9. Munching Blue

Munching Blue Just a new boy in school member

When will this event take place?? I want to participate. I couldn't participate on the game jam so I am sad as my exams where on. But now I am free.

Dr. Pikachu PhD likes this.
  10. Sparta

Sparta Someone who does something. member

Well, as the judging for the Game Jam is currently underway, it'll probably be a little bit. Once the Jam has kinda died down, probably.

11. Dr. Pikachu PhD

Dr. Pikachu PhD Trust me, I'm a doctor. Technically. member

Lol I feel that. I failed pretty hard to at completing the game during the time period of the jam, but I LOVE mapping and I can't wait for this to start back up. In the meantime we can appease ourselves by playing all of the great new Jam games tho! ^.^

Arma and Aki like this.
  12. leilou

leilou Trainer member

I look forwward to the next iron mapper, too ^-^

BluePlays likes this.