An Important Announcement: Relic Reboot
Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Map Showcase
Star 
Map Showcase

This is a thread for members to seek feedback on their maps from other members, whether you have a separate thread for your project or not. There are no set in stone guidelines for how to give feedback, but I will provide some suggestions and an example post.
  • If you notice something that has been posted but hasn't received any feedback please consider providing the poster with some form of feedback before you move onto later posts.

• Try not to focus on small, easily-corrected mistakes. This goes for both tile errors, tree shading, and grammatical/spelling errors - feel free to bring them up, but be sure to not make them the focal point of your feedback.

• If you are posting a large map that requires one to scroll to get through them all please consider enclosing them in spoiler tags or linking to them in some fashion (via imgur or some other image sharing service) instead of cluttering up the page.

• The rules that govern the rest of the forum also govern this thread, try to refrain from posting short posts and instead take the time to provide worthwhile feedback to other developers.

Bad Feedback
Fake Atomic Reactor Wrote:
Yuoaman Wrote:I have a new map to show off today! It's the first Route from my new game. I know it's kind of bigger than most first Routes but I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on it.

[Image: m2l2dpas.png]

hate it

Good Feedback
Fake Atomic Reactor Wrote:
Yuoaman Wrote:I have a new map to show off today! It's the first Route from my new game. I know it's kind of bigger than most first Routes but I'd really appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on it.

[Image: m2l2dpas.png]

Not bad, Yuoaman. I'm not quite sold on the size of the map, unless you were planning to block off parts of it early on to prevent it from overwhelming players or something. I'm also not a huge fan of putting cave areas right by the first town, but that's a personal preference. I do like how you've laid out your paths and grass, though! I do think you need some more stuff (flowers, small trees, etc...) alongside the road in the upper parts of the path to keep it from being too bare.

Good work so far, though, looking forward to more!

That's about it, good luck and have fun sharing your work with the community!
[-] The following 2 users Like Yuoaman's post:
  • PokemasterTERI, TheRollinSpheal
Uh... hey there! I just found Atomic Reactor's tutorials on youtube a few days ago and have wanted to get into making pokemon games forever, but lack motivation and ideas. But I finally started the other day! I have no experience with any of this but this is the first map I've made.

The idea is like a secluded cabin in the woods starting house. I love snow based areas and ice type pokemon, and feel they're under appreciated so I want to have more of a focus on them.

The tiles are from pokemon essentials, but I recolored almost everything here, as well as adding snow, re-texturing the house with another's assets, and making the basic snow background tile.
[Image: OYqCY4f.png]
The only thing I know for sure is that the house needs snow added to it, but I couldn't get it to look right since everything is new to me. So, any and all feedback would be awesome and totally appreciated!

EDIT: Changed map to have less fence.
EDIT 2: Updated again!
EDIT 3: Bigger map! Made from scratch so some changes and new things added!

[-] The following 7 users Like PeckanPie's post:
  • Janoi, Noble, NozeyD, PokemasterTERI, Xarxaal, Yotes, ZoneTheGaming
The map looks alright, a little square. I would try opening it up a bit more, give the player a little space to explore (not a whole lot, just a little)
And as far as snow goes, this is what I did with my houses with snow on them.
[Image: Ap5YTKm.png]
You can try to emulate that if you want, or look for other peoples snow tiles and see what they came up with!
[-] The following 3 users Like Atomic Reactor's post:
  • PokemasterTERI, Xarxaal, Yotes
(01-08-2015, 12:25 PM)Atomic Reactor Wrote: The map looks alright, a little square. I would try opening it up a bit more, give the player a little space to explore (not a whole lot, just a little)
And as far as snow goes, this is what I did with my houses with snow on them.
You can try to emulate that if you want, or look for other peoples snow tiles and see what they came up with!

Alright, thanks a bunch! I'll work on it and try to improve!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PeckanPie's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
(01-08-2015, 12:16 PM)PeckanPie Wrote: -snip-
I think it would be fine without the fence, I really like the layout though, removing the fence would open it up enough to be enjoyable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radical Raptr's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
(01-08-2015, 12:40 PM)Radical Raptr Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 12:16 PM)PeckanPie Wrote: -snip-
I think it would be fine without the fence, I really like the layout though, removing the fence would open it up enough to be enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice. Smile I'll see how it turns out and update that post as I make more significant changes.
Even though I'm not posting a screenshot - I'm here to say that I will be happy to give advice to people who want to map Smile
I've had people say my maps are nice, and I like to think I stick as close to the Official games as possible.

I'll give advice to Yuoaman for the moment, as AtomicReactor is fine with maps, and PeckanPie, seems to be a person who learns by doing Smile

@Yuoaman
I feel that this map although nice and big, lacks direction. I mean there doesn't appear to be a direction to follow along, with the path splitting off
in all directions. Perhaps make it slightly more linear, or add paths which go to routes which are accessed later?
I also think the cave exit/entrance facing the water in really out of place. That section would probably be better done as a dungeon
map, as a cave opening, with a beach/sandy bit going into the water (like a cove). The tree placement is superb, although make sure the paths
a x3 in width (Up and down) or x4 in height (left and right). Although the later sometimes doesn't have to be stuck to, it would conform to the official maps.
The placement of flowers looks natural, although don't be afraid to have clusters. Your mountain ranges/rocky sections are also quite natural.
I sometimes find that adding a puddle, or a section to surf on in a heavily tree populated area adds a bit, but that's personal taste.
Hope that helps!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PixelMister's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
(01-08-2015, 12:16 PM)PeckanPie Wrote: Uh... hey there! I just found Atomic Reactor's tutorials on youtube a few days ago and have wanted to get into making pokemon games forever, but lack motivation and ideas. But I finally started the other day! I have no experience with any of this but this is the first map I've made.

The idea is like a secluded cabin in the woods starting house. I love snow based areas and ice type pokemon, and feel they're under appreciated so I want to have more of a focus on them.

The tiles are from pokemon essentials, but I recolored almost everything here, as well as adding snow, re-texturing the house with another's assets, and making the basic snow background tile.
[Image: tOqFUvh.png]
The only thing I know for sure is that the house needs snow added to it, but I couldn't get it to look right since everything is new to me. So, any and all feedback would be awesome and totally appreciated!

EDIT: Changed map to have less fence.

For a first map it's definitely a good start! Far better than what my early maps looked like! I have a few recommendations, however. I agree with Atomic Reactor that increasing the size of the map would help make the area feel less cramped and claustrophobic. I also recommend filling up that additional space with a little bit more grass, since at the moment it looks a little messy, and would look a lot more natural if the grass were less sparse. My final bit of advice would be to take out the Cut tree from the map, since it looks very out of place when not being used as an obstacle - though this is entirely subjective and others will likely disagree.

In any case, good luck, and I look forward to seeing more maps and such from you in the future!

(01-08-2015, 02:33 PM)ZestyCactus Wrote: Even though I'm not posting a screenshot - I'm here to say that I will be happy to give advice to people who want to map Smile
I've had people say my maps are nice, and I like to think I stick as close to the Official games as possible.

I'll give advice to Yuoaman for the moment, as AtomicReactor is fine with maps, and PeckanPie, seems to be a person who learns by doing Smile

@Yuoaman
I feel that this map although nice and big, lacks direction. I mean there doesn't appear to be a direction to follow along, with the path splitting off
in all directions. Perhaps make it slightly more linear, or add paths which go to routes which are accessed later?
I also think the cave exit/entrance facing the water in really out of place. That section would probably be better done as a dungeon
map, as a cave opening, with a beach/sandy bit going into the water (like a cove). The tree placement is superb, although make sure the paths
a x3 in width (Up and down) or x4 in height (left and right). Although the later sometimes doesn't have to be stuck to, it would conform to the official maps.
The placement of flowers looks natural, although don't be afraid to have clusters. Your mountain ranges/rocky sections are also quite natural.
I sometimes find that adding a puddle, or a section to surf on in a heavily tree populated area adds a bit, but that's personal taste.
Hope that helps!

Just a note, I mapped this sometime in 2010 and dug it out to use as an example, and can't remember exactly what was going to be happening in the map but I believe that there were going to be some NPCs and sidequests involved to provide a sense of direction, but it's been so long I have no idea. I definitely would have done some things with the map differently had I mapped it today, though generally I place conforming to the official style below making a natural looking map, though that's definitely just a personal stylistic choice.

I appreciate you trying to get involved in providing feedback right away, though, hope to see you stick around!
Took notes. Added snow to the house (which I made myself roughly based on the snow on Snowpoint City houses), more grass so it's kinda fuller, and I moved the cut bush to be useful rather than aesthetic. Smile
I have not made the map bigger yet... may at least try that to see how it looks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PeckanPie's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
Here's one of mine, just to show how I map Smile(in a spoiler as it's quite a big image)