An Important Announcement: Relic Reboot
Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Map Showcase
(01-17-2015, 07:08 AM)BIGFriv Wrote: Hello. I'm new to map making/map creation (you know what i mean).
I already made some maps, and i wanted u guys to tell me if i should change anything.
Thank You.

Thank You.

The first Evergreen forest map is a little large and empty. try putting a few bushes or flowers or something in the empty areas.
[Image: gS3d8B4.png]
(01-17-2015, 12:34 PM)Spluff5 Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 07:08 AM)BIGFriv Wrote: Hello. I'm new to map making/map creation (you know what i mean).
I already made some maps, and i wanted u guys to tell me if i should change anything.
Thank You.

Thank You.

The first Evergreen forest map is a little large and empty. try putting a few bushes or flowers or something in the empty areas.

Something Like This?
http://gyazo.com/6538b57e4913b8977ca9d2287a1fdc9f

This is just a quick sketch... and thank you for telling me what was wrong.
(01-17-2015, 12:41 PM)BIGFriv Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 12:34 PM)Spluff5 Wrote:
Thank You.

Thank You.

Something Like This?
http://gyazo.com/6538b57e4913b8977ca9d2287a1fdc9f

This is just a quick sketch... and thank you for telling me what was wrong.

That's much better but I would actually shrink the map a little to bring the stuff closer together.
[Image: gS3d8B4.png]
I last made a map for my game a few months ago, so I decided to scrap what I had and start again.
Here is an attempt at the PC's hometown:
[Image: 49e1224f3f.png]
,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,.▪•°`°•▪.,
Pokémon Tenkaichi Budokai, coming soon to a forum near you. (Working Title)

Here, have some free music for your project. =)
@BIGFriv: Your maps are way too open, there's no path. Like for the Forest map, you would never have to go through any of the grass to get out of the forest. Look at frlg maps, or other maps from nintendo. They don't have open ended maps like you have, they forced paths due to tree lines and mountains, keep that in mind.
Also, your town should have all the houses be matching roof colors. That's how it's done in the pokemon games.

@Deadends: Not a bad map, I probably would make a little space in the trees and put the shrine in there, instead of right in the middle of town.( That's just me though) Also, the tile that the lab is on, the mountain terrain tile, is not the right one to use. That one should only be used for the top of mountains that you can't walk on. You want to use a different tile. (Either the brown rough terrain, or the darker one like the one i used in this pic http://prntscr.com/5tuyxc)
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to critique this map that I made during one of my livestreams: [Image: 80dffc5d250aecbb7d4587697a99a6ce.png]

I have made a few new edits to it since I created this, but it's not much.

Here is the second image of the map: [Image: 82858a2894594427613b69cb00a7cc98.png]
[Image: d8ec0aaa-f42d-4971-9f5b-09ac465fc4fc.png]

Also, make sure to follow me on the twitters for new updates in regards to mah garme!

As a reminder, do not take any of the artwork from my thread, or deviantART. Do not use, or post it anywhere. YouTube, dA, etc.
Ok so, the maps aren't too bad, but here are some things that could improve it!

1) the left and right sides of the maps are pretty boring, with just a straight line of trees. I'd open it up a bit more (more on the bottom map than the top) Also, the area between the cliff and the trees needs to be widened on the bottom map, one tile wide paths a a big no-no.

2) too many flowers at the bottom of the 2nd map, and your clumps of flowers in general need to be more of a checkerboard pattern, or just not as clumped together as they are now. Look at how they do it in frlg. I'm not too fond of the particular flower tile you're using right now, but that's just personal preference.

3) I'd open up the area around the pidgeot statue by removing the bushes (also, tile error below stairs)

4) I don't think you need that many waterfall things, you can keep them, but reduce how many there are. Maybe one per cliff wall? Having that many just makes the map look too busy.

What's the significance of the pillars with events on them? Depending on what they do, I'd get rid of a bunch of them, it seems like there's too many. Also, the symmetry of the map is kind of a turn off for me, maps are pretty boring if they're almost exactly the same on both sides. So if I were you, I'd change one of the sides so it's not pretty much the same as the other. Other than that, it's not too bad, just address those things and it'll be pretty good! (you should post the result if you do fix it up!)
(01-17-2015, 11:15 PM)Atomic Reactor Wrote: Ok so, the maps aren't too bad, but here are some things that could improve it!

1) the left and right sides of the maps are pretty boring, with just a straight line of trees. I'd open it up a bit more (more on the bottom map than the top) Also, the area between the cliff and the trees needs to be widened on the bottom map, one tile wide paths a a big no-no.

2) too many flowers at the bottom of the 2nd map, and your clumps of flowers in general need to be more of a checkerboard pattern, or just not as clumped together as they are now. Look at how they do it in frlg. I'm not too fond of the particular flower tile you're using right now, but that's just personal preference.

3) I'd open up the area around the pidgeot statue by removing the bushes (also, tile error below stairs)

4) I don't think you need that many waterfall things, you can keep them, but reduce how many there are. Maybe one per cliff wall? Having that many just makes the map look too busy.

What's the significance of the pillars with events on them? Depending on what they do, I'd get rid of a bunch of them, it seems like there's too many. Also, the symmetry of the map is kind of a turn off for me, maps are pretty boring if they're almost exactly the same on both sides. So if I were you, I'd change one of the sides so it's not pretty much the same as the other. Other than that, it's not too bad, just address those things and it'll be pretty good! (you should post the result if you do fix it up!)

I see, I shall do just that, I am going to update the map and widen up the path, as for the lamps, those are plot significant basically have a particle effect emitting from them. As for the symmetry, this is basically only the case for certain maps that I do. So, if it's like a Sanctum where one of Arc Stone Fragments are, I generally want to make it feel like its a unique area, since this was physically made not by nature (story wise). I will keep the waterfalls, since I don't ever get to use them very often, and I like the strange compatibility of fusing those (entryways?) with water coming out as a double-fall. As for the flowers, yeah I guess I can remove those, since I just removed this map from the canvas since there is a grave grave that acts as a teleport, because story reasons.

These are the edits that I made so far: [Image: 38f58f3259f73951706a50d9fa5b5607.png]
[Image: 068790193136df383610ee3667a69ebc.png]
[Image: d8ec0aaa-f42d-4971-9f5b-09ac465fc4fc.png]

Also, make sure to follow me on the twitters for new updates in regards to mah garme!

As a reminder, do not take any of the artwork from my thread, or deviantART. Do not use, or post it anywhere. YouTube, dA, etc.
AtomicReactor: I will take care of that, thanks for telling me.

Hello again.
I made a simple map for a Dark Type Gym. Can you tell me what you think?
Heres the new map:
http://gyazo.com/0d96551e4d7c2cd20cebd8024acc0a69

I also made a new EverGreen Forest Map =D
http://gyazo.com/4f264781908775c5961b504181091afb
@Dylan: Symmetry and lamps are fine then (except I'd remove the two by pidgeot, because it's still pretty cramped right there. Oh, you should add a shadow under the bridge to give it depth, and you still need to clean the flowers up. Also, when you upload these two maps (if you do again) you should merge them in paint so that it's one map!

@BIGFriv: The dark gym would look better if the edges of the grass were darker, so that it transitioned into the background more. As for the forest, that as a huge improvement from the last one! Great job! It's still pretty small to be considered a forest, but the mapping itself is pretty good, it's overall natural looking and it flows well. If you look at this link http://prntscr.com/5tzwdl I outlined some spots in red that you should add grass too. It's always good to force the player to go through a couple patches of grass. Other than that, it's a pretty solid map! (I'd add a forest entrance tile though to show where the entrance/exits are)