An Important Announcement: Relic Reboot
Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Map Showcase
(01-09-2015, 06:04 PM)Awesome03 Wrote: Before I get to more general critique I'm just going to make a quick list of tile errors that you can ccorrect:

• Darker water is generally reserved for the ocean.
  • Several of the mountain tiles you've used are the wrong ones, such as on the hill on the right side of the map where you didn't use the tiles the north-facing mountain tiles with grass in them.
  • You can use layers to place paths under ledges so you don't have the break that you have to the left of that hill.

The biggest issue with this map is the misuse of elevation. Areas of a different elevation should have the illusion of being entirely enclosed by that elevation, on the left side of the map you place the south-facing mountain tiles right up against the west-facing tiles instead of including a southwest-facing tile and west-facing tiles drawn up to the northern boundary to complete the enclosure. I hope that explanation made sense to you, if not I could try to whip up a quick graphical explanation when I have the time.

The other major problem with the map is that there is far too much empty space, especiall to the right of the exit/entrance to the town, where there is room for another building or two. As well, the pathing in the lower left of the map is too wide: paths should narrow if they are branching off from a major road or leading to single buildings. Having the path to that one home be wider than the primary paths in town just looks off. I'd also recommend placing the flowers in less blocky arrangements to make them look more natural.

Hope this helped at all, I hope to see more maps in the future!

Thanks for the feedback! The only thing I didn't get (or, well, get how to fix) was the misuse of elevation. I get the problem is there, but I really don't know how to fix it. Other than that, I have a pretty good idea of what to fix.

Thanks again!
Demo 1.5 coming soon!
[Image: coetwUn.png]

[Image: Blank+_78aa2e637390ba5eec97600177c41214.png]
This is my very first town
some tips
t is the first town in the game and i`m not so good at maping, but getting better.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hey guys, when you post maps, try and help out the person who posted before you, just give them some feedback on what you think needs fixing, and if you don't think it needs fixing, let em know you like it. That way anytime someone posts a map, they're getting some sort of feedback!

@Birthdaycow: Not a bad map, just needs to be tidied up a bit. I would get rid of the grass, because usually there isn't grass in a town, so it looks kind of out of place. I would get rid of the area above the middle blue house, I'd just make the mountain connect there and shift the top house over a bit. And the path to the left of the town needs to be opened up a bit more.

@ArceJolt: Again, not a bad map, just needs a little bit of fixing. Make the path out of town a little wider, and make the town itself a little bigger. Give it some character by adding flowers, or a patch of light grass, it just needs to be a little more open and polished. I would also take out the grass, but keep the ledge (use the correct tiles for the ends of the ledge though) the ledge is a nice little point in that town.
Adding on to what Atomic Reactor said, both of you need to correct your tree shading because at the moment they're technically tile errors and make the map look worse (and also less professional / official, which isn't a good thing either).
@Birthdaycow: Also the tiles use for the cliffs that are already placed on cliffs should be:
[Image: SHFDiQF.png]
Instead of:
[Image: 0fkLV6b.png]

Notice how the grey shading on the brown stone looks a little out of place and how the brown shadow on the brown stone looks more natural.

Here are the first two routes to my game, keep in mind that the game is set in prehistoric Kanto so these routes look similar to Kanto routes. Feedback greatly appreciated

Route I:
From the player's starting town to the first city (Tourmaline City, no gym). The small cave in the mountain is only accessible after Rock Smash is obtained after the second badge, it leads to the TM for Return. The large amount of trees is necessary for the next city's borders to not appear black.
[Image: NAZH4Q9.png]

Route II:
From Tourmaline City to Lazulia city (first city with a gym). Only the left side of the river is accessible at first and the player must pass through the jungle to reach the other side. The right side of the river is accessible after the second bade and the small house is where the player gets the HM for Rock Smash, in the house lives a cross-breeder of flowers which is why the flowers are all different colors. In the golden grass higher level Pokemon can be found that in the green grass on the other side of the river. On top of the cave the player exits to gain access to the right of the route is the TM for Rock Slide (Surf Required).
[Image: klypZlH.png]
[Image: gS3d8B4.png]
@Spluff5
The maps, especially the first one, fell too rectangular and square which you really dont want in maps, your flowers are too organized i guess would be the word and to symmetrical maybe try getting rid of a few and maybe spreading them out a bit more that also kinda goes for the tall grass, also this may just be personal preference, but idk about the trees you chose although they look good for a prehistoric time they also are just a bit of an eyesore, but overall really nice map
[Image: Untitled-1-509618797?ga_submit_new=10%253A1422233925]
@Spluff: Also, building off of Kinjee's advice, I think the huge grass patches on route 2 are too boring, that whole side is pretty bland. Maybe make the grass in and L pattern, or something just to make it more interesting. Also, I think it would be interesting to make the terrain different to what current kanto is like. Maybe more rough terrain than grass. Here's an example of what I mean:
[Image: mMSLTd1.png]
See, I think making it look more rugged and mountainous will display the look of "the stone age" more appropriately. Less foliage, more mountains and caves before people created cities. Don't mind the tile errors in my map, it was the only way I could show the main mountain tile changing into a jump-able cliff.
(01-11-2015, 05:07 PM)Atomic Reactor Wrote: @Spluff: Also, building off of Kinjee's advice, I think the huge grass patches on route 2 are too boring, that whole side is pretty bland. Maybe make the grass in and L pattern, or something just to make it more interesting. Also, I think it would be interesting to make the terrain different to what current kanto is like. Maybe more rough terrain than grass. Here's an example of what I mean:
[Image: mMSLTd1.png]
See, I think making it look more rugged and mountainous will display the look of "the stone age" more appropriately. Less foliage, more mountains and caves before people created cities. Don't mind the tile errors in my map, it was the only way I could show the main mountain tile changing into a jump-able cliff.

I like the look of that map but I think I will stick to the grassy more foliated terrain. I have made the environments in the world more diverse and Route II happens to be in a very foliated and green area. However I will change the shape of the grass although I will keep it tidy (There is some lore in this are of the Leavnny trimming the grass into geometric shapes) and I will probably use your rough terrain in the more dessert-like part of the region (Just above where Fuchsia City used to be.

Here's the new Version:
I added more flowers and a choice, either battle a trainer and get a great ball or move through more tall grass.

[Image: TbPWgbb.png]
OK, this is the last map I have finished (Although I admit it isn't perfect). This is the first city in the game, there is a gym (The building with the blue twisted rocks on top) but it can't be faced until later in the game. The white building is the Pokemart and the Building with "PC" on top is the Pokecenter. The kind of rock the letters are written in changes in each city. The city is called Tourmaline City BTW.

[Image: syFmQKJ.png]

Edit: This is another version of the map I made with different tiles. The vegetation looks a lot more lush which fits the theme of this being a more jungle-like area. Tell me which one I should use

[Image: aL4wMuF.png]