Map Showcase
(01-09-2015, 01:30 AM)ZestyCactus Wrote: Here's one of mine, just to show how I map Smile(in a spoiler as it's quite a big image)

Dude, those are some seriously nice looking tiles. Nice looking town in general. Very farm-like and rural. I love it!

I only have a couple of nitpicks regarding the mapping itself, and that is the elevation change in the water in the lower left corner, and the terrain change in the upper right that separates the two sets of tall grass/hay. They feel kinda random to me and are rather distracting from the rest of the map, imo. I would maybe try removing the elevation or making it larger in the water, and then dividing the tall grass in the other corner with either normal grass or closing off those trees entirely. It's hard to tell if that part of the map should even be accessible at a glance though, so maybe it's not worth pointing out, I dunno. While not an issue with the mapping itself, you could also make that Cut Tree (?) next to the barn stand out a bit more with a contrasting outline. It looks like it's just part of the background when it's something you can remove from the map and interact with, but again that might be personal.

Otherwise great work! Mapping is spot on other than looking at the stuff I mentioned, and it's a very pretty and solid concept for a town. Tiles look pretty good too. Keep up the good work!
[-] The following 1 user Likes plutokrasi's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
The tiles belong to Heavy-Metal-Lover/Ginzuishou from Deviantart - he allows me to practice with them.
I see what you mean about the trees at the top right, I'll probably adjust those as you've suggested.
The elevation change, was just a test - I never removed it.

If you think of it on a game screen, I think the cutting tree would be fine Smile

Thanks for the comments!
(01-09-2015, 01:30 AM)ZestyCactus Wrote: Here's one of mine, just to show how I map Smile(in a spoiler as it's quite a big image)

I think the cut tree is fine, it looks blurry because of the picture quality, but otherwise it should be fine in-game.
The map is awesome! I really like it! It has a nice feel to it, and would be fun to explore. I agree with the water elevation, it would probably look cool is you expanded it, but it's up to you. Also, the cave location seems too cramped because of the stairs - it leaves only a 1 tile wide area to move t the entrance.

I decided to try and finish up the remainder of the work needed to get out a beta, so I'm working on 2 gyms, here's the first one. It's a Nrmal type gym and I decided to go in a theme of a ranch or farm. I'm not sure how good of an idea it is, or how well I did it, but I like it. The doors in the back lead to the next gym - there are 3 to a town, but the next two come later in the story. The map on the side is where the leader is, up the ladder.
[Image: NormalGym_zpsd75b3057.png]
Not too much to the map, the only thing I would suggest is get rid of the gray line underneath the wall, it looks odd, and the base that the gym leader is supposed to stand on in the other room is too bright and just looks odd. I would suggest maybe adding hay on the ground to the pens, and then maybe using that also as the base for the leader to stand on? Other than that it looks pretty solid!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Atomic Reactor's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
(01-09-2015, 07:25 AM)Radical Raptr Wrote: I decided to try and finish up the remainder of the work needed to get out a beta, so I'm working on 2 gyms, here's the first one. It's a Nrmal type gym and I decided to go in a theme of a ranch or farm. I'm not sure how good of an idea it is, or how well I did it, but I like it. The doors in the back lead to the next gym - there are 3 to a town, but the next two come later in the story. The map on the side is where the leader is, up the ladder.
[Image: NormalGym_zpsd75b3057.png]

The whole thing seems kinda plain? I get the feel like it's a barn so it's pretty straight forward, but if you opened some of the pens, made a sort of maze between them that you could use to get around the trainers, that could be pretty cool.

Personal note: Updated my map again to be bigger, as well as include new things!
[Image: OYqCY4f.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes PeckanPie's post:
  • PokemasterTERI
@Peckan: Feel free to post the map you updated in your newest post, that way we don't have to go to the previous page, it will be easier accessible if you include it in your post.
As far as the new updated map goes, I would take out a majority of the grass, get rid of the fence, and move the house up so it's sitting right in front of the trees. Just kind of clean it up a bit I guess.

And I agree with your idea for the barn gym to open the pens up and make it a maze, good idea!
(01-09-2015, 12:05 PM)Atomic Reactor Wrote: @Peckan: Feel free to post the map you updated in your newest post, that way we don't have to go to the previous page, it will be easier accessible if you include it in your post.
As far as the new updated map goes, I would take out a majority of the grass, get rid of the fence, and move the house up so it's sitting right in front of the trees. Just kind of clean it up a bit I guess.

And I agree with your idea for the barn gym to open the pens up and make it a maze, good idea!

Alright Big Grin Noted for the future!
@Peckan: As Atomic Reactor said I'd remove some of the grass and shift the house just a bit to provide more room to walk in the area. I'd also recommend varying up the really tall grass a bit by making some of the patches larger than just one tile to look a little more natural.

@Zesty: Overall this map is really well done with a lot of interesting elements, though there are a few issues I have with it. The cave under the pond on the right side of the map is a really cool idea but the execution looks a little off, though that is primarily a problem with the tiles, which don't have this use in mind. At the moment it looks like the pond is only a few inches deep in order to accomodate the cave, which is very unnatural. I'd also recommend perhaps adding some benhes and the like to the map, especially in those areas where the path continues past where any noteworthy features are (buildings, etc...). As as example there's that long path in the upper left that runs past the building to end at a tree, a bench would provide a little flavor and a reason for the path to exist.

@Radical: The concept of a ranch or farm for a gym is definitely an interesting idea. I would perhaps add gates for the pens you have on the first floor to better convey the concept of them being pens rather than just fenced in areas. I also agree with Atomic Reactor that the floor is a little bland at the moment and could use some additional hay and the like to spice it up a bit.
Photo 
This is the first town in my game! (was I supposed to put the picture as an attatchment or not?)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-09-2015, 06:04 PM)Awesome03 Wrote: This is the first town in my game! (was I supposed to put the picture as an attatchment or not?)

I'd honestly recommend setting up an account with Imgur or some other image-sharing site so you have more control over how you post your images.

___

Before I get to more general critique I'm just going to make a quick list of tile errors that you can ccorrect:
  • Darker water is generally reserved for the ocean.
  • Several of the mountain tiles you've used are the wrong ones, such as on the hill on the right side of the map where you didn't use the tiles the north-facing mountain tiles with grass in them.
  • You can use layers to place paths under ledges so you don't have the break that you have to the left of that hill.

The biggest issue with this map is the misuse of elevation. Areas of a different elevation should have the illusion of being entirely enclosed by that elevation, on the left side of the map you place the south-facing mountain tiles right up against the west-facing tiles instead of including a southwest-facing tile and west-facing tiles drawn up to the northern boundary to complete the enclosure. I hope that explanation made sense to you, if not I could try to whip up a quick graphical explanation when I have the time.

The other major problem with the map is that there is far too much empty space, especiall to the right of the exit/entrance to the town, where there is room for another building or two. As well, the pathing in the lower left of the map is too wide: paths should narrow if they are branching off from a major road or leading to single buildings. Having the path to that one home be wider than the primary paths in town just looks off. I'd also recommend placing the flowers in less blocky arrangements to make them look more natural.

Hope this helped at all, I hope to see more maps in the future!