An Important Announcement: Relic Reboot
Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Relic Game Jam #2: Discussion
Same as @CarrEternal. Here's a list of reasons why my game won't be completed, at least one of which probably applies to anyone else who couldn't complete in time Tongue:
1) Kept forgetting to work on it
2) Laziness
3) Already working on super reworking my main game
4) Vacation
Tongue
[Image: 55YTTrh.gif]
I've got an anecdote.

Last year I was super worried that I wasn't going to make the deadline in time; I'd never released a game before and wasn't really confident in my skills or even in the idea of the game itself. And frick I was really nervous about it because people had reacted positively to the couple of WIP screenshots I shared, and I had even gotten a couple of shoutouts on Twitter from people looking forward to it?! Yeah and on top of that, I'd just joined the Relic Staff and wanted to live up to it. I thought, "Wow, this would be great time to fail publicly and spectacularly; I'm never getting this game done on time".

And I was sure that I'd never finish the game on time, but I did. And I posted it just in time...and immediately had to re-post to fix a bug...and then a bunch of people played it and it was all a happy ending, the game was great I'm just a genius developer who did everything perfect!!

Nah, it was a buggy mess. Simple transfers were broken, item effects were messed up, one map just froze the game if the player got into any battles on it, more than one map I totally forget to put transfers on so the player had to intentionally incur a game over just to get out of, there was a map that caused a game crash on entering, a map that had invisible unpassable sections so it couldn't be completed without playing in Debug Mode...Oh yeah and the one level that I cut out for time had a bunch of important plot stuff so that the ending didn't make sense. So pretty much a huge mess. And painfully, I got to see it all happen in real time, because there were Let's Plays; there is a permanent record of how badly I messed this game up.

...But some people still said that they liked it. I actually released my first game, and it was embarrassingly bad, but people still played and some even liked it. So to anyone who is thinking about just scrapping their project because you might not get it done on time, I want to encourage you to finish it anyway. Working on games is fun, but actually finishing one? Releasing one? It's amazing. You shouldn't need the Game Jam as an excuse to make a small game in the first place! Pleased

Okay so Tl;dr: If you've been working on a game, and now that the deadline is coming up you feel like it's better to just stop trying? I hope you try anyway.
[Image: u8xRtYU.gif]  [Image: 7hJzmPy.png]  [Image: LiQTRi1.gif]
↓ Sometimes I try writing tutorials ↓
Animating Sprites, Requests, Tilesets, Aesthetics
What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 8 users Like Aki's post:
  • Atomic Reactor, CarrEternal, Dawn Bronze, Deo, Fontbane, Hukon, Shiplet, xCamero
I've been quiet for awhile because I've been focusing all my energy on my game, but there isn't a specific way to enter is there? I just upload my game by tomorrow to be entered? Because it would suck to not enter this game in the contest after working on it for so long specifically for this, lol.
(08-09-2016, 06:38 PM)fireball11121 Wrote: I've been quiet for awhile because I've been focusing all my energy on my game, but there isn't a specific way to enter is there? I just upload my game by tomorrow to be entered? Because it would suck to not enter this game in the contest after working on it for so long specifically for this, lol.

Just be sure to submit the thread to the Game Jam section instead of the usual Progressing Projects section, so that we know the game is a jam one! Oh, and if you're not sure about the thread's requirements, check out the overview thread.
What Does my Game Need?

What time do entries close at? I can't see any specifics in the overview thread.
[Image: Tiacuter%20na.png]
Tír Na
(08-10-2016, 04:14 AM)NoodlesButt Wrote: What time do entries close at? I can't see any specifics in the overview thread.

11:59 PM PST on Wednesday the 10th.
[Image: 6KVlWOs.png]
Check out my public resources!
Custom Day & Night Tones - Gen 2 Overworld Pack
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deo's post:
  • NoodlesButt
It is nice to be done with this years jam on my side..
[-] The following 1 user Likes baaabuuu's post:
  • Dawn Bronze
And Relic Game Jam #2 has come to a close! Thank you for all your entries, discussion and the such! The judges will be spending the next week or so deciding what jam entries have earned the Spotlights. Please feel free to play any of the entries, and don't forget to leave feedback.

You're also free to keep discussion going in here while we spend the time assessing the entries. Expect a proper write up later!
[Image: 6KVlWOs.png]
Check out my public resources!
Custom Day & Night Tones - Gen 2 Overworld Pack
I'll assume we can no longer post threads to the Game Jam? Is it over now?
(08-16-2016, 08:06 AM)TheRollinSpheal Wrote: I'll assume we can no longer post threads to the Game Jam? Is it over now?

Yes the submission period is over now. Right now the judges are playing all the entries so that we can choose our spotlights...and in the meantime we encourage everyone else to play as well, and be sure to leave some feedback for the devs!   Smile
What Does my Game Need?