[Image: 4rbsB0H.png]
June 30th - August 10th 2016

More details in June!
[Image: wTa79tq.png]
more like "Game Jam 2 was a mistake"
[-] The following 2 users Like Starrcasm's post:
  • Fontbane, Shgeldz
(05-28-2016, 08:26 PM)Starrcasm Wrote: more like "Game Jam 2 was a mistake"

We're forbidding any gen 2 entries for this very reason.
[-] The following 5 users Like Deo's post:
  • Aki, Atomic Reactor, Ewery1, Fakemon123, Shgeldz
Are we allowed to begin brainstorming ideas and start gathering resources? I understand we're not allowed to begin game development until the 30th, just wanted to clear these questions up as it's my first time participating.
(05-31-2016, 01:45 PM)FlamingFalcon Wrote: Are we allowed to begin brainstorming ideas and start gathering resources? I understand we're not allowed to begin game development until the 30th, just wanted to clear these questions up as it's my first time participating.

Yes and yes, you can think of ideas, start picking out tiles, and grab a partner or two, just don't start actually working on the project please!  Smile
The time limit is what makes the challenge extra exciting so mostly you'll be cheating yourself if you start early, and besides, you'll probably want to look over the official rules and guidelines when they're posted!

[-] The following 2 users Like Aki's post:
  • Atomic Reactor, FlamingFalcon
What about writing the dialogue out? And editing sprites? Would that count as working on it?
(05-31-2016, 04:40 PM)SpartaLazor Wrote: What about writing the dialogue out? And editing sprites? Would that count as working on it?

Ooh now I gotta get nitpicky...
How about, anything that involves opening RMXP (or whatever engine) counts as working on it, and so does making/editing any resources. Gathering/organizing might be okay, like bookmarking that sweet sweet public tileset/script you've been itching to try. Writing might not count as working on it since that's not as easy to insert as graphics are (just dropping them into the right folders you know).

But relax everyone, you'll have a whole month! And even if you start a game and don't finish by the deadline...so what? You'll still have made a game and we'd still like to play it!  Smile

[-] The following 3 users Like Aki's post:
  • Atomic Reactor, Dawn Bronze, Radical Raptr
Awesome can't wait to see what the story idea is or what everybody comes up with
I have a question (sorry if it's a poor one). Would if be fine if we have it so we start a game project on game jam and still continue it after it's over as a full fangame? Or does it have to be a single game completely done?
(06-01-2016, 05:49 PM)Takuastudios Wrote: I have a question (sorry if it's a poor one). Would if be fine if we have it so we start a game project on game jam and still continue it after it's over as a full fangame? Or does it have to be a single game completely done?

It's your game, you're free to do what you want; if you get started on a small project but then get inspired to make into something bigger, then that's great!  Big Grin

If you've played Golurk Rising, then you might've noticed that although it was started for the game jam, at some point it became more of a demo release for a bigger game.
Or look at NipNip, which was also made for last year's jam but is still being worked on and improved today.

If you're thinking of starting a traditional 8 gym game and releasing a demo for the jam well...we'd rather see a complete game. And I'd really recommend that on a personal level too. Releasing a complete game is a pretty rewarding and empowering experience; even if it's not very good, I mean anyone who played my entry can tell you it's more bugs than game (and I'm super embarrassed about it, but have no regrets). It's fun to just make a little game once in awhile, take a break from the big projects.

@Anyone who was about to ask what my game was, I don't exactly recommend playing (go play a badge winner!), but link is allways in my signature ↓