Demo Pokémon Alabaster
[Image: Pokemon%20Alabaster%20Version_zpsh7xvz7pb.png]
Introduction

Hey there! I'm alababal, the creator of the fangame Pokémon Alabaster. I've been working on this game since May 2014, so it's been a little over a year and a half since I started as of the time of this writing. My game is made using RMXP, which really gives me the freedom to do whatever I like with my game. So as far as I am capable of doing, I take advantage of that. While my game at the very basic level follows the traditional format for pokémon games (I haven't gotten rid of the gyms, or evil teams, or the pokédex), I look to spice it up in as many ways as I can, be it extravagant events, or unique custom music, or custom features. That being said, I also constantly try to push forward with my progress, so I won't try to do anything that I don't think I'm capable of doing. But you guys don't care about that, so moving on, I hope you enjoy the experience that is Pokémon Alabaster!

Plot

The Nyejo region is renown for being home to many of the greatest minds in the world, with countless world-class trainers, scientists, and breeders. Regardless of their prospective careers however, children growing up in the region are encouraged to go to school in order to learn and understand the relationship between people and pokémon. Any who graduate before they turn 18 are allowed to roam the region as a trainer in order to gain an even stronger relationship and understanding with pokémon. Once you turn 18 you generally have three options. The first is finding a job, the second is going into a specialized field of study, and the third is making a living as a trainer. Relatively few are capable of sustaining a career as a trainer, but those who can are generally considered role models for society and as such are what youths aspire to become.

You are the son/daughter of a once world famous breeder (your mother) and a successful trainer (your father). You are the youngest of three siblings, the other two of which have already left home and graduated to become trainers. You also have a childhood friend named Cirrus who has been by your side as long as you can remember. The story begins on your 10th birthday, where you are allowed to pick one of three unique pokémon from your mom. She also gives Cirrus one. Not long afterward the two of you head over to Nyejo Academy for an extended stay.

In Pokémon Alabaster Version you will fight for recognition, learn about the world around you, find new rivals and new friends, explore a vast region, traverse harsh terrain, gain the trust of your pokémon, and strive to become the best that there ever was. Unravel the secrets about your past, and uncover the true threat that looms in the Nyejo Region.

Features

Story that varies based on decisions
Tons of optional content and sidequests
All (721) pokémon obtainable by final release
Pokémon can have their hidden ability in wild
Rewards for filling out pokédex
Strong rivals & gym leaders are engaged in story
Custom music
Vast region waiting to be explored
Mega Evolution and HM items in future releases

Screenshots

Media

Credits

Nintendo & Gamefreak
Poccil......................Pokémon Essentials
Maruno...................Pokémon Essentials
TheGreatBlaid..............................Tileset
The-Red-eX.................................Tileset
WesleyFG....................................Tileset
Serbii..............Graphics & Development
Luka S.J..................Graphics & Scripts
-FL-..........................Graphics & Scripts
Klein Studio..............Graphics & Scripts
mej71........................................Scripts
~JV~.........................................Scripts
...and more
Please observe the full credit list under the spoiler or paired with the demo. Each and every person is indispensable in order to create the game you see today.

Pokémon Alabaster v0.4.8 Download link (5/27/16)

Full Download (Mega)
https://goo.gl/PRDkfA

Mirror (Mediafire)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3l9smj..._0.4.8.rar

Covers the academy and 3 gyms.

0.4.8 Patch
https://goo.gl/5gbE9b

Use this if you have an earlier version of the game you want to update. If you just downloaded the full link, you DO NOT need the patch.

Note: This game was not originally made with release in mind, so the early portion of the game at the academy lacks clear direction at times. If you don't know what to do next try calling the fortune teller using any phone. If you're still confused comment here and I will help as soon as I see.
[-] The following 9 users Like alababal's post:
  • doomtrain666, Ewery1, Fontbane, Food, Involuntary Twitch, lavellan, MelonBread500, shadowmwape, Shgeldz
I can't wait to get to this, it comes very highly regarded from Starrcasm and Twitch, who praised the eventing to no end!
Oh, hooray, Alabaster is finally on Relic Castle!

I just want to reiterate how far above and beyond the norm this game goes, even at its currently early stage of development. Playing it, it's really apparent how much time and careful planning went in to creating all the maps, characters, events, and story. Also, the original soundtrack is phenomenal! I'm having a lot of fun so far and have been relentlessly telling everybody I know to check it out and play it because of how good it is.

It's hard, though. I don't mind the challenge, and the resource scarcity at the beginning certainly forces you to think outside the box to come up with solutions. But sometimes the difficulty can get a bit frustrating, and the only solution is to grind on weak wild Pokemon until you get the EXP you need to progress. I think that if the EXP formula were altered slightly to increase yields, then the difficulty curve might be a bit more manageable.

I haven't finished the current demo yet -- I'm about 8 hours in and on the 2nd Gym. Here's my current team:
In conclusion, this game is really great so far, and I'm glad to see it here! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Involuntary Twitch's post:
  • alababal, Food
going to put this one in my "to play" queue for sure!
WOW what an out-of-nowhere project! At least in this case it's a good thing, this looks really nice! I'll get to trying it as soon as I actually find free time... so maybe over the weekend Big Grin
It's decision based? Smile

Can you have any Pokemon follow you whenever you want or only special ones in certain areas?
Thank you guy's for the warm welcome! The game is a work in progress, but I hope you guy's enjoy what I have so far.

(01-26-2016, 08:15 PM)Involuntary Twitch Wrote: Oh, hooray, Alabaster is finally on Relic Castle!

I just want to reiterate how far above and beyond the norm this game goes, even at its currently early stage of development. Playing it, it's really apparent how much time and careful planning went in to creating all the maps, characters, events, and story. Also, the original soundtrack is phenomenal! I'm having a lot of fun so far and have been relentlessly telling everybody I know to check it out and play it because of how good it is.

It's hard, though. I don't mind the challenge, and the resource scarcity at the beginning certainly forces you to think outside the box to come up with solutions. But sometimes the difficulty can get a bit frustrating, and the only solution is to grind on weak wild Pokemon until you get the EXP you need to progress. I think that if the EXP formula were altered slightly to increase yields, then the difficulty curve might be a bit more manageable.

I haven't finished the current demo yet -- I'm about 8 hours in and on the 2nd Gym. Here's my current team:
In conclusion, this game is really great so far, and I'm glad to see it here! Big Grin

Thanks! Level curve is a work in progress. It should be challenging, but not because you are always underleveled.

Also... I don't see an image. Unless there's a way to view it that I don't know about.
(01-26-2016, 08:33 PM)Alumina Wrote: It's decision based? Smile

Can you have any Pokemon follow you whenever you want or only special ones in certain areas?

Decisions do have an effect on story. The story doesn't permanently branch off, that's to say there will only be one ending. But decision often effect small things and occasionally result in major story differences. As for your second question, unfortunately following pokémon isn't a thing except when you first select your pokémon. I may do it in certain areas a la dppt though.
The image is beneath the spoiler, it should be there when you click on it.
At any rate though my team (post-Gym 2) is:

Larvesta Lv27
Mightyena Lv29
Deerling Lv26
Dewott Lv28
Vespiquen Lv30
Swablu Lv22

Now that I've beaten Gym 2 and am headed to Route 303, it seems like I need Rock Smash to progress but I have no idea where to find it and the fortune teller isn't giving me any hints. Maybe I'm missing something? :p
At any rate, this game is really fun and I'm looking forward to more. Gonna take a break for the night though.
(01-26-2016, 09:51 PM)Involuntary Twitch Wrote: The image is beneath the spoiler, it should be there when you click on it.

Twitch, your image is broken; try re-uploading somewhere else maybe?
[Image: wTa79tq.png]  

WOA this is an amazing project! I also wanna commend you for making custom music, cuz thats not easy. Especially using realistic VSTs as opposed to sound fonts which is an even greater challenge! Of course I have a few things I wanna say as light suggestions, feel free to take it or leave it as they are merely just suggestions as music is extremely subjective!

First off I wanna say the composition of the music itself is great! Everything fits with the environments and setting of their locations so great job on that. However on the home town theme, you might wanna check the placement of some of the notes in your midi sequencer as some of the notes sound a little out of place (If everything is as it should be where it is, just ignore that haha). And also the orchestration on that track could use a little touch up. I love the piano accompaniment (could maybe use a little variation in note placement tho but thats up to you) but something you may wanna look at is a call and response kind of thing between instruments for the melody! Like maybe start off with the piano playing the melody then pass it off to a french horn, then maybe an oboe or flute. Idk, a great example of this is the Skyloft theme from LoZ: Skyward Sword.

However, I'm really excited to hear the rest of the OST and see what else is in store for us in this game. Great work man!
[-] The following 1 user Likes spsounds's post:
  • alababal