RC Community Choice Awards [Champion Round]
Champion Vote: Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Eyecandy. Ethereal Gates brings an entire new game worth of graphics, giving Pokémon the most completely unique look you can find in a fangame. New Pokémon to find, all visually appealing and designed so well I could fit all in an official game? Check! Engaging and dynamic rivals? Check! GODLIKE OST?? Can't CHECK! loud enough. Ethereal Gates simply has everything a Pokémon fangame could possibly deliver, and boy it delivers... I rate it ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ.

Up & Coming Vote: Pokémon Crystal Ocean
New coat of paint for the best game and region. Something more truthful to Crystal than HGSS was to Gold/Silver, but not without new challenges delivered! Johto has so many unique things (Dunsparce swarm, Lapras, Bug Catching Contest, Lighthouse, Burnt Tower, Train Station, cool Day-Care Egg, Shopping Mall sales, SUDOWOODO!!!...) it'll always be worth replaying. The Gen three look might not be fresh enough for some, but for me, it achieves the perfect resemblance to FireRed/LeafGreen, matching the neighbouring region. Mapping is top notch, adding those little touches, be it flower or pebbles on the old route layouts. I cannot wait to leap into the Burnt Tower once again and meet Eusine for the last first time. I give it ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ ᵔᴥᵔ, only because it hasn't arrived just yet! 

2016 for best fangame year?
Champion Vote: Pokemon Ethereal Gates

Reason: The amount of detail put into the game and the fakemon is really unheard of, it really looks like a game that has been in the making for long time and has continued evolving for the better. This is the first pokemon game that I haven't muted the music the OST is fire that's only way i can describe it.

Up & Coming Vote: Pokemon Sitnalta

Reason: This game looks awesome it has a good mix of fakemon and official pokemon and a more diverse pokemon world with the main character being of a darker skin color and the rest of the features are just as great.
Reason: I absolutely cannot stress how tough of a vote this was. It was a very, very close tie between Ethereal Gates and Gaia for me. Both games have left a positive impact on me, and I had to really examine why it was I thought this was the case. It's been difficult, especially because I like them for very different reasons. But after mulling it over, I think Ethereal Gates came out on top for me. Let me explain.

I'm generally not someone who enjoys Fakemon games that much. It's not that I hate Fakemon... I just don't find much enjoyment out of them compared to games without them. I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into crafting one. And I'm definitely glad there's lots of Fakemon games out there. They just aren't always for me. This was the case until Ethereal Gates, anyways.

Ethereal Gates really did open me up to Fakemon. More than I would've thought was possible. You'd think I wouldn't be as excited to play a Fakemon only game given my track record, but here we are. Perihelion Productions did such an excellent job creating top notch Fakemon and I fell in love with the designs the more I looked at them. The world that's been crafted compliments the Fakemon really, really well.

It was a really difficult time for me while playing Ethereal Gates. I wanted to try all of the Fakemon, use them in my party, experience what it was like to strategize with a completely new set of Pokemon. It was like playing Pokemon Black & White all over again. (For reference, Black & White are probably my favorite Pokemon games.)

I'm rambling, but I think you get my point. The impact this game had on me was awesome, and I'll always be grateful for Perihelion Productions and this awesome world they've created. That's why Ethereal Gates is getting my vote today.

Up & Coming Vote: N/A
Reason: I'm going to be abstaining from this category. There's a good handful of projects I'd love to vote for -- but I'm honestly having even more difficulty deciding on this one given that there isn't a playable release for most. I wish you all the best of luck, though!
[Image: wTa79tq.png]
Reason: Pokemon Ethereal Gates is absolutely amazing and was probably one of the best fangames I've played so far. This game has custom tiles, fakemon, graphics, menu, and everything. You can tell by playing the game, that a lot of hard work was put into making it. The gameplay of the fangame itself left me with a great impression. I've never seen a fangame so fun and challenging like Ethereal Gates and that follows the actual pokemon style. I felt as if I was playing an actual pokemon game. There were some bugs in the game itself, but it really deserves it and lived up to its hype. Im a fan of games with fakemon and Ethereal Gates gave me just that.

Up & Coming Vote: Pokemon Phoenix Rising
Reason: I've seen some other pretty good fangames coming up, but I'm going with Pokemon Phoenix Rising because it will have a complete full release and it is all around amazing. The mapping is outstanding and the graphics look great! The game will feature a menu with a clock and display your pokemon party with their HP. Not only that, but I love the new mega evolutions designs and i think they look brilliant. The story sounds exciting enough to want to play and i can't wait to see how the game unfolds. Pokemon Phoenix Rising will be a full release so you'll experience the full gameplay and updates will be available as well. Phoenix Rising is the next big thing!
Champion Vote: Pokemon Ethereal Gates
I don't think people seem to understand how huge of a task it is to come up with a completely custom art style for a fan game. I'm a huge fan of custom tiles and graphics being used for fan games, to give them that unique feel, and the PEG team nailed it. It is one of the most well polished fangames I have ever played, and the amount of work and effort went into the project is astounding, and I feel that it deserves the win for that. Sure there were a few bugs here and there, but overall the project is very well executed and gives a fantastic, new, and fresh experience for fan games. Really good job guys!

Up & Coming Vote: Pokemon Crystal Ocean
The 2nd gen and their remakes are my favorite official games. I especially like when people take familiar areas and add new twists to them, like new routes and towns. Plus, I'm really digging the art style the game is going with. I'm really looking forward to playing CO, because I'm excited to play another fresh twist on the Johto region.
Champion Vote: Ethereal Gates, as simple as that.
Reason: I fell in love with the game(quite bummed I have to wait until it is completely finished, but it's for the best^^). This game is beautiful, better than the real ones, I dare say. As far as we know the story it's quite good, the fakemon in it are made with so much attention to detail, so much care that I'm going to play it THREE TIMES, just to get different Fakemon in my team.

Up & Coming: Phoenix Rising
Reason: They took a baseline (Pokémon) and started to go from there, avoiding all the clichés we know and have started to love. They are making an entirely game that's just based on Pokémon, a different story, different kind of gameplay and amazing graphics!

To the others:
I have not played all the others (I watched a good deal of Uranium to get a decent feel about it), but they are all good nonetheless. Uranium is in progress of updating most (all?) of their sprites, and it's looking good so far. Heck, they even remapped the region! Amazingly dedicated (and I love some of the ideas they put in it)

Pokémon Gaia: I'm definitely going to play this one, the story souns good, they added tons of cool things (just the totems at the beginning for example, I love totems!)

Insurgence: Just started playing this and woah! Extremely interesting, at first I didn't get what all the fuss was about, but I do now. A new take on Pokémon, and they're doing it splendidly!
Champion vote: Pokemon Uranium
Reason:This fangame is something unique while still feeling like a Pokemon, it has starters that were chosen through a test and only evolve once is just the start of it, it also shows a good fangame and shows that others can make their own fangames too. And the art is something that I like and many of the fakemon look memorable and official looking. And that's why I like this fangame
Champion Vote: Pokémon Gaia
Reason: Gaia is a very good game, I have played it a lot so I'm just gonna sum it up really quick, because I spent a couple of hours writing a comprehensive review of everything I enjoyed about the game and I lost it all because it didn't paste to my clipboard properly.

The gameplay is great, with good difficulty to make it accessible for newcomers and difficult for some veterans. The story, so far, seems really promising, and Ezekiel is a cool dude because Mega Steelix. The graphics are great because, even though it's a ROM hack, you still managed to add custom stuff that fits in with the tileset so good job their dude. Also the Elder Knights battle theme is hella good.
Champion Vote: Pokemon Uranium
Reason: Well, either this or Ethereal Gates. However, I went for this one. The dynamic role of your Rival, Theo, and that giant dancing onion thing (Sorry!) were some of the most memorable parts of the game, which I loved. Also, the interruption in the story caused by the nuclear panic... that sort of drama is what separates a game from the mellow mush of others. Furthermore, despite playing this game portably on an HP Stream, where my input was 1 second off from my screen, I still persisted to play. Why? Well, I can't really say. However, the latter games lost me midway through the demo. Again, I don;t know why. Maybe my best argument here is favoritism of playing this first...
Really, it was the fakemon. And Owten. I was always looking for the next fakemon, and their evolutions. And Owten's evolutions. If you think my argument is inconclusive, I'll narrow it down for you. It's because Owten is in the game. That's a legitimate, valid reason, right? The world needs more Owten.

Upcoming: Cremisi Portals
I am ASTOUNDED at what this game turned into, graphics wise, and at the speed it did. Okay, since I can't really play the demo, all I'm going to comment about is the graphics...derp. I love the interface, the HD sprites, and the fakemon, and I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
Champion vote: Super Pokémon Eevee Edition
Out of all the games that I’ve played on this list, I can safely say this is the game I got the most enjoyment out of. The game has mixed up a lot of the mechanics in the official games, and I have to say I like pretty much all of them. It has entertaining dialogue, fun side quests, and a lot of other entertaining things to do too. I really enjoy the story so far, and the gen 3 segments are so radical yo. The combat system feels fresh and is very fun. I really enjoyed finding the corrupted pokémon. The only possible negative I could think of with this game is that I found it to be quite easy most of the time, but that really doesn’t have any impact on all the great things this game has. The game is just really fun, every time I launched the game I ended up playing it for hours on end, which really isn’t something I can say about a lot of games anymore. Also your character speaks which is neat.

Up & Coming vote: Pokémon Kanto Stories
There are seriously a ton of great looking projects in the Progressing Projects section, but this is probably the one I am the most excited for. The graphics are absolutely stunning, and are enough to get me interested just by themselves, and the game has so many other interesting thingies too. Making the towns bigger and more realistic seems really cool and fits very well with the more detailed graphics, and the other new features like the health and stats and crafting features seem really interesting as well. The game is mixing up the standard formula in many different, interesting ways and I really want to play it someday.