An Important Announcement: Relic Reboot
Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Team Recruitment
(04-21-2016, 04:23 PM)TyranntX Wrote: So we need to have a total of 11? posts to take a look at that corner of the Forum?

It sometimes take awhile (like a couple minutes) for the permissions to change once you get to 10 posts, but if you're able to use the shoutbox then the recruitment should be visible now as well! Smile
[Image: u8xRtYU.gif]  [Image: 7hJzmPy.png]  [Image: LiQTRi1.gif]
↓ Sometimes I try writing tutorials ↓
Animating Sprites, Requests, Tilesets, Aesthetics
What Does my Game Need?

Months after I said I'd tweak the rules of the Team Recruitment forum, I actually did. You can read them here.

As of today, there's a couple new rules for having a thread. Most notable, you're required to have 3 varied screenshots of the project you're trying to recruit for. You can alternatively link to a Project Sandbox post or Progressing Projects thread that contains these screenshots.

All active threads are grandfathered into this for 1 cycle (30 days). You have until May 26th 2016 to those screenshots on your thread. This should be more than enough time.

You'll also find a new prefix available: [Short-term]. If you have a small project such as a script and you need graphics for it, this should be rather handy. Alternatively, maybe you don't want to recruit a dedicated team member but need something specific for your game. Just make sure to only make one short-term thread a week.

That's about it. If you have any questions of comments, feel free to let us know in this thread.
[Image: 6KVlWOs.png]
Check out my public resources!
Custom Day & Night Tones - Gen 2 Overworld Pack
[-] The following 3 users Like Deo's post:
  • AiedailEclipsed, Aki, Epic
Just a couple small things...

I would maybe combine #1 and #4 as they're relatively interlinked. My immediate thought after reading #1 was "Can we bump?" Having the clarification on that two rules later seems a bit odd. Alternatively, move #4 to be #2 and the rest down?

Quote:Asking for payment/commission/compensation/etc in your thread is not allowed. We believe wholeheartedly that artists & content producers should be paid for their craft, but the exchange of funds on Relic Castle is forbidden.

Just curious as to why, really. Also, I notice the phrasing of this is geared towards the seller (ie "Hello! I will make custom sprites for you for $x"), but not the buyer (ie "I am looking for help with creating scripts. I am willing to pay."). Was this intentional or an oversight?

/nit picking
(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: -snip-

Quote:Asking for payment/commission/compensation/etc in your thread is not allowed. We believe wholeheartedly that artists & content producers should be paid for their craft, but the exchange of funds on Relic Castle is forbidden.

Just curious as to why, really. Also, I notice the phrasing of this is geared towards the seller (ie "Hello! I will make custom sprites for you for $x"), but not the buyer (ie "I am looking for help with creating scripts. I am willing to pay."). Was this intentional or an oversight?

/nit picking

I'm pretty sure this is for legal reasons. If Nintendo finds tons of people paying each other for stuff for their IP on a site, that site's not gonna be in a good legal area. This way we know nothing happens at all legally involving money, at least on Relic Castle.

Selling is worse than buying because you're actively requiring payment for someone else's IP. Like those Minecraft servers that locked features behind "donations" before the EULA was changed.
Tongue
[Image: 55YTTrh.gif]
(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: Just a couple small things...

I would maybe combine #1 and #4 as they're relatively interlinked.  My immediate thought after reading #1 was "Can we bump?"  Having the clarification on that two rules later seems a bit odd.  Alternatively, move #4 to be #2 and the rest down?

Makes sense, fair enough. I've tweaked that slightly.

(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: Just curious as to why, really.  Also, I notice the phrasing of this is geared towards the seller (ie "Hello!  I will make custom sprites for you for $x"), but not the buyer (ie "I am looking for help with creating scripts.  I am willing to pay.").  Was this intentional or an oversight?

The same goes for anyone recruiting. Given that it states right after "the exchange of funds on Relic Castle is forbidden", I would have thought that was clear enough. People offering money when recruiting doesn't happen as often as the other way around from what I've seen.

Relic Castle forbids any exchange of currency, donation links, or anything of the sort. We want to keep fan games free from any sort of currency exchange, and from any potential legal repercussions due to that specifically.

Thanks.
[Image: 6KVlWOs.png]
Check out my public resources!
Custom Day & Night Tones - Gen 2 Overworld Pack
(04-26-2016, 06:40 PM)Deouen Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 06:29 PM)AiedailEclipsed Wrote: Just curious as to why, really.  Also, I notice the phrasing of this is geared towards the seller (ie "Hello!  I will make custom sprites for you for $x"), but not the buyer (ie "I am looking for help with creating scripts.  I am willing to pay.").  Was this intentional or an oversight?

The same goes for anyone recruiting. Given that it states right after "the exchange of funds on Relic Castle is forbidden", I would have thought that was clear enough. People offering money when recruiting doesn't happen as often as the other way around from what I've seen.

Relic Castle forbids any exchange of currency, donation links, or anything of the sort. We want to keep fan games free from any sort of currency exchange, and from any potential legal repercussions due to that specifically.

Thanks.

"Asking for payment/commission/compensation/etc" is very much worded in the sense that the creator or seller is asking for payment for the work, commission to do work, or compensation for work.  With this as your opening statement, it will generally be what most people keep in mind from reading the rule (especially given that this section is bolded).  The "exchange of funds on Relic Castle is forbidden" is simply going to make people think about arranging the payment off the site, as saying "I am willing to pay for x" is not an exchange of funds, currency, or donation links.  It is a solicitation of paid work.

I'm not trying to be difficult and am sorry if that is how I am coming across.  I'm simply trying to help you cover your bases, but in any case, this is all I'll say on the matter.  Thanks for your consideration.
Combined with the provision that recruitments within this forum be done only within the Team Recruitment forum--not even through private messaging--I'm pretty certain the "three screenshots" requirement might make it a bit difficult for complete novices in regards to programming to be able to get started (ASM, the language with which I'm most familiar, is to me only good for making hacks of pre-Advanced games). But then, maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it.
(04-27-2016, 12:30 AM)Fotomac Wrote: Combined with the provision that recruitments within this forum be done only within the Team Recruitment forum--not even through private messaging--I'm pretty certain the "three screenshots" requirement might make it a bit difficult for complete novices in regards to programming to be able to get started (ASM, the language with which I'm most familiar, is to me only good for making hacks of pre-Advanced games). But then, maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it.

I personally like the screenshot requirements. It shows that the person recruiting actually has some ability and knowledge of what they're doing. I've seen games and teams fall apart because complete novices didn't know how to actually make the game. Besides, I'm kinda annoyed by all the people that say they need a team to even make progress.
Proverbs 3:5
[-] The following 2 users Like SpartaLazor's post:
  • Aki, Hoaxness
(04-27-2016, 12:30 AM)Fotomac Wrote: Combined with the provision that recruitments within this forum be done only within the Team Recruitment forum--not even through private messaging-

I want to address the Private Messages specifically-on the surface, it does seem like a bit of an unfair rule, but it's in place to protect everyone from being spammed.

On an individual level, it can feel flattering to receive a message that says something like, "Hey I loved your post in the Pixel Art Lounge, wanna join my game?". But knowing that same message was also sent to 8 other users at the same really makes that compliment feel empty doesn't it?

And anyone should be able to make a thread for their game without that being an open invitation to be recruited by everyone who sees it.

(04-27-2016, 12:30 AM)Fotomac Wrote: -I'm pretty certain the "three screenshots" requirement might make it a bit difficult for complete novices in regards to programming to be able to get started

As for the three screenshots requirement, that has been added for the same reason it was added to Progressing Projects-we want to use the space for projects that are actively being worked on. Complete novices are of course welcome to use the rest of Relic Castle if they're looking for some help as they learn. That's kinda the whole point!  Pleased
[Image: u8xRtYU.gif]  [Image: 7hJzmPy.png]  [Image: LiQTRi1.gif]
↓ Sometimes I try writing tutorials ↓
Animating Sprites, Requests, Tilesets, Aesthetics
What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Aki's post:
  • Hoaxness