Team Recruitment
As the old thread was a bit lacking and it was difficult to tell what was actually an active project or not, I'm happy to announce that the team recruitment forum is now open. Be sure to read the rules before posting a thread.

Threads in this forum are automatically deleted after 12 days, and posts don't count towards your total post count. Feel free to bump your thread after about five days if nobody is contacting you. This should make sure the forum is only showing active requests/offers.

Members with a post count below ten won't be able to view or utilize the forum. 

We hope you find this change useful!
[Image: wTa79tq.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Deo's post:
  • pbood2, Starrcasm
Hey guys, just wanted to offer some feedback now that the forum has been around for a few months. Firstly, I think it's a great idea. Even though not a whole lot of people will be replying to the threads, it is still a nice place to host a list of open positions for a person's fan-game. I do think there are a few things that could be changed however and my recommendations are as such:
  • Remove automatic deletion after 12 days
  • Introduce an archival process that occurs after 30 days of inactivity in a thread
  • Reword this rule: "Please only post once. Making more than one thread is not allowed" to allow people to post one Recruitment thread, and one Volunteering thread.
Expanding on the suggestions; I'd like to speak about automatic deletion first. I am unsure whether or not soft or hard deletion is the method used for removal of threads. However I advise against the latter. Hard deletion is bad practice for any forum software and can cause database errors, inconsistencies and overall affect database performance and optimisation over a long period of time. Soft deletion (ie. not deleting an entry from the database, just hiding it from the front-end) is much safer, however it would be more efficient to archive threads if soft deletion is in effect. This way at least any deleted threads can be retrieved and do not require the end-user to backup their threads. I understand it is not much to ask, but from a user-experience perspective it is less hassle to have the software automatically archive as opposed to completely remove.

Due to Relic not being an extremely active forum (yet!), I don't think 12 days is really a necessary activity window. 30 days is more understandable and does not require the front end user to keep posting in the thread to state that it is relevant. Otherwise the user must babysit a threads much more frequently. I understand that staff wish for requirement threads to be as up-to-date as possible, however there's close to only being 2 active threads left in that forum and at that point there's little logic in actually having the section.

The last suggestion should be fairly straightforward. A user should have the opportunity to search for volunteers for their game, as well as volunteer for another. I reckon it just needs a simple re-wording and further clarification.

Keep up the great work guys, hopefully these suggestions seem reasonable. Have a good one!
[-] The following 2 users Like Gav's post:
  • baaabuuu, Deo
Great feedback, Gav. I'd have to agree with all your points here.

We initially chose 12 days to give the idea that if you looked at the section, you would definitely only see the 'active' threads. With how often people requested we expand the thread into something, we overestimated how many threads there would be. Definitely less than we anticipated. We'll be pushing that time limit up to 30 days. We'll adjust this in the future, perhaps.

As for the deletion: turns out the plugin we've been using actually hard deletes it. That's not acceptable (both to me, and to the users, really) and I'll be turning that off as of this post. The system I'll be implementing over the next week or so will have a sub-forum open up in the team recruitment forum that's an archive similar to our other archive forums. After a month, threads will be moved there, and not deleted. You won't be able to post replies in this section. This should make it easy enough to copy and repost the thread.

As for the "no more than one thread", it was ultimately meant as "no more than one thread per project". That will definitely be reworded.

Thanks for leaving detailed feedback! It's much appreciated!
[-] The following 2 users Like Deo's post:
  • Gav, SaberPlayz
Are there any other conditions for access to the Team Recruitment forum apart from the whole "10 posts" thing? Because I've got 10 posts as of writing (and this will make 11, I believe), and I still can't access it for some reason.
(02-12-2016, 08:40 PM)Fotomac Wrote: Are there any other conditions for access to the Team Recruitment forum apart from the whole "10 posts" thing? Because I've got 10 posts as of writing (and this will make 11, I believe), and I still can't access it for some reason.

Nope. It can just take a couple minutes to actually promote you within the forums. I've gone ahead and done it manually for you.
This idea is very smart! Not only will people come here for teamwork applications, but they will come here to see what games they are work on as well!! This is a very good thing that will happen to this forum! One thing though that I would add is to have the applications on one separate sub forum. This will keep things more organised and neat so when companies or groups of people are looking for someone, they know just where to go!
One other thing: how often does the "bump after at least five days" thing work? Because I've thus far only been able to get a storywriter on board after the first time.
(03-02-2016, 01:40 PM)Fotomac Wrote: One other thing: how often does the "bump after at least five days" thing work? Because I've thus far only been able to get a storywriter on board after the first time.

I think you can do it as long as you're actively searching for members. Though, a two bits of advice: first, learn to do all of the needed work yourself. There's really a small chance that you'll be able to get all the people you're looking for. So if you actually want your game to get out, your best chance is doing 99.99% of the work yourself. Secondly, speaking from personal experience, be careful when recruiting story writers. Usually, they're not as good as they say they are, and either don't live up to your expectations, or they turn your game into what they want it to be rather than what you want.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpartaLazor's post:
  • OmegaWerrier
Cool! Nice to see it reopen new! <3
So we need to have a total of 11? posts to take a look at that corner of the Forum?