Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Tutorial How to request/commission someone for your project
Check out a related Discussion thread over here!

Hey guys! Whether you're looking for a Spriter, Scripter, Writer, or Mapper, it never hurts to have good conduct when asking an artist to join your project. I thought I'd share some of the stuff I've seen and try to make sense of what works and what doesn't when commissioning or requesting an artist's work.

Note: Any examples that contain names of games, plots and other stuff is completely made up by me on the spot and not meant to resemble or mock any actual games.

Step 1: Know what you want
This may seem obvious, but it is really important. If you're trying to get some sprites, you need to already know what art style they need to be done in. If you ask for a script, know exactly what you need it to do for you. If you're unsure about anything at this point, save everyone some time and figure it out.

I think that's all for now, if anyone else wants to share their thoughts, please do so and maybe I'll edit this post later with more stuff.
[-] The following 10 users Like Aki's post:
  • Capptier, Conmh, Dawn Bronze, DJTiki, Dragonite, Epic, Involuntary Twitch, Radical Raptr, ReyJusTer, Starrcasm
Wow, at first glance I thought it was just gunna be a joke, but it actually hits a lot of key points that new comers aren't familiar with. I can't stress enough the importance of what pokemon generation style you're looking for when you make a request.

Some key things for those who don't know:
Back sprites refer to images like this
Front sprites refer to images like this
Trainer sprites refer to images like this
OW, or overworld sprites refer to images like this

For most of us this is pretty basic stuff, but for some greenhorn just starting out, it's a lot of technical jargon that can really cause miscommunication when showing off different screenshots, or making requests. As for the difference in gens, all the images I showed were of gen 4 style, as opposed to gen 5 which would be something like this
The most suitable for your Honeybear Warm hands.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Radical Raptr's post:
  • Aki
(06-12-2015, 05:27 PM)Radical Raptr Wrote: Wow, at first glance I thought it was just gunna be a joke, but it actually hits a lot of key points that new comers aren't familiar with. I can't stress enough the importance of what pokemon generation style you're looking for when you make a request.

Yes! More than once I've had that mentioned last minute-and then it's a style that I can't pull off and I have to drop the whole thing. And that's a good point about terminology; I found that hard at first too but anyone who's unsure can allways provide a reference.
[Image: u8xRtYU.gif]  [Image: 7hJzmPy.png]  [Image: LiQTRi1.gif]
↓ Sometimes I try writing tutorials ↓
Animating Sprites, Requests, Tilesets, Aesthetics
What Does my Game Need?

You should say something about manners too. Some people might be too pushy without even realizing it
They Lactose!
[Image: 468_80_kizami.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Epic's post:
  • Aki
I added a bit about general communication; oy vey, a little bit of talking can go a long way. Undecided
I think that it touches upon what Radical and Epic were saying, but I'll still continue to revise if anyone has more to add!
What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Aki's post:
  • Starrcasm
Another note; a great help for recruiting members (especially a artist) is making a group on your game on deviantart, whit some maps, screenshots and graphical stuff.
[Image: tumblr_o5iu9xuVwp1vqzd3vo1_250.gif]
Heroes never die!

I added a bit about making an open recruitment call, for anyone who's not sure how to find specific artists, or is maybe looking for multiple people to join a team. As allways, if anyone wants to add more, I'll try to work it in somehow!

What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Aki's post:
  • Epic
It's been awhile but I decided to add something new to the main post, so thread bump!

Here's a repost of the new part if you don't feel like scrolling back:
What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 2 users Like Aki's post:
  • Dawn Bronze, Hukon
Also don't forget that there's a difference between commissioning and requesting. c; Commission is under the connotation that the artist will be reimbursed for their time and efforts, typically via real world currency.
[Image: pbGZuED.png]

Currently working on quality-controlling everything on the list in this project so far! I will get to critiquing your contributions as soon as I finish, so please bear with me. ^^ It might actually take me a little while.

This is an excellent guide, thoughtful and well-written. I am sure this will come in handy for anyone that is curious about how to go about requesting art for their game.
[Image: secret%20screen6_zpsvjyidqrl.png]
The Secret of Cinnabar Mansion
Made for the Relic Castle 2015 Game Jam

Pokemon Uranium | Fakemon Design Blog