Completed Pokémon Thyme
[Image: 2S27za5.png]

...Is the title of the game jam game I made this year. It is currently 4 AM and I am too tired to playtest anymore, so I can only hope that the game doesn't have any big bugs left. I am very surprised that I managed to finish this in thyme.

Plot:
One day, when you're just minding your own business, standing around in Jamstone Outskirts doing... nothing, basically, you hear a scream of PANIC!
Following the direction the shout came from, you find a Strange Charm. Little do you know that this charm will be the centre (or like, somewhere close to it at least) of my most poorly thought out story yet! Travel through two versions of Jammest Island- past and present to stop an eccentric thief from the past and a not very interesting historian from the present from catching Celebi and causing the world as we know it to fall into chaos! Or, at least, that's what I assume would happen if Richard got it.

Game Screenshots:
[Image: x4wkU2b.png] [Image: PHopbW5.png]
[Image: PG9jDa0.png] [Image: LeXnlV1.png]
[Image: HpFfyA8.png] [Image: q61WAFo.png]
[Image: mBFZGCl.png] [Image: tz4CMi0.png]

Game Download:
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v65c5u..._Thyme.zip
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5wO_dg...sp=sharing

Made Using:
RPGMaker XP and Pokémon Essentials version 16.2

Team:
Me.

Resource Pack:
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/d9ut82...e_Pack.zip
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5wO_dg...sp=sharing

[-] The following 7 users Like Hukon's post:
  • AlphaTrainer_Ark, Atomic Reactor, Dawn Bronze, Epic, SmokedPaprika, Speelunky, zxo456712
I'll be playing this next, just because of that dumb cooking pun. Darn you.
[-] The following 3 users Like SmokedPaprika's post:
  • Hukon, tomix9tomix, zxo456712
Well I'll have to hand it to you: You made a darn great game. The characters, locations, mechanics (time travel), side-quests, writing, and story were all phenomenal. I really liked all the differing flavor texts for the trash cans, the mystery house, and the phone side-quest (can you really call it a side-quest?). This is my favorite game I've played so far in the Game Jam and the reasons why are obvious  Smile. Overall a really great game.

Final Team:
http://imgur.com/a/pVylz

Note: rematched both 'rivals'
[-] The following 1 user Likes SharpTurtle772's post:
  • Hukon
(08-11-2016, 02:28 PM)SharpTurtle772 Wrote: Well I'll have to hand it to you: You made a darn great game. The characters, locations, mechanics (time travel), side-quests, writing, and story were all phenomenal. I really liked all the differing flavor texts for the trash cans, the mystery house, and the phone side-quest (can you really call it a side-quest?). This is my favorite game I've played so far in the Game Jam and the reasons why are obvious  Smile. Overall a really great game.

Final Team:
http://imgur.com/a/pVylz

Note: rematched both 'rivals'

Before submitting the game, there were many things I was nervous about. I was worried that there might be a lot of bugs I missed, that the characters might get annoying, that certain areas felt empty and uninteresting, in general I was just very worried that the game was going to be bad. Though, I thought even worse about Jeff when I released that little happy accident last year, so I hoped that it was just me being paranoid. Reading this made me realize that it probably was me being paranoid, and that made me very happy. Thank you.
Bug: If you try to go back to the elder shrine where you and Richard go to the past and then to the beach and so on, if you return the cutscene replays and other event that haven't triggered yet (going to the cliffs) need to be redone.
[-] The following 2 users Like SharpTurtle772's post:
  • Dawn Bronze, Hukon
(08-11-2016, 08:12 PM)SharpTurtle772 Wrote: Bug: If you try to go back to the elder shrine where you and Richard go to the past and then to the beach and so on, if you return the cutscene replays and other event that haven't triggered yet (going to the cliffs) need to be redone.
Thanks for telling me, it turns out I forgot to add an event page that prevents the event from happening again.
The download links are now updated with a version that fixes this bug. I also fixed a bug where you could get some of the items from the shady Jamoat merchant for free. If you already beat the game, you should be able to go into Jamyme Forest (the present version) and trigger the ending cutscene again, and you shouldn't have to do the rest of the game again.
That was a very pleasant play-through! It was nice that the Pokemon leveled up earlier than usual, so I didn't have such a hard time getting through the game. The difficulty curve was nice and on-point, and for the most part, it was easy to play through and finish!

I will have to criticize some aspects, however - I'm not sure if you made the music or you borrowed it, but while the music wasn't bad, it often didn't fit the area. For example, when you enter the first town, and the music begins to pick up, it feels like you're in a deserted wasteland where civilization has crumbled, rather than a cozy and relaxed small forest town. When you go into a wild Pokemon battle, when the music starts, it sounds as if you're dealing with a legendary type Pokemon, rather than a normal Trubbish or Poliwag. Also, in the desert area, when you traveled to the past, the encounter rate was a little distracting, and toning it down a bit might not have been a bad idea.

I enjoyed the main characters - Richard was adorably goofy, and the way he spoke Olde English as a red herring regarding his time period was great. I think if you'd made him a real sweetheart behind it all, similarly to Papyrus, he would have been even more endearing. "Lady Thyme's" gags were cute, as well - especially involving her real name. Her motivation was a little weak, and the ending was a tad anti-climatic, but the characters generally had more life than one would expect from a one-month video game project.

The humor was stand-out for most of the projects here - I didn't laugh all that often, but you used a good deal of creativity in the right way to create setting-based humor, and didn't rely too hard on snark or breaking the fourth wall to make it work. Just make sure to leave some room for the normal world-building, too. Keep working on this aspect of your writing - it's very much one of your strong points. Good humor can lead to good heartbreak, which is also something you should keep in mind for future projects.

Overall, I really enjoyed this! It's been one of my favorite projects from the Game Jam so far, so keep it up! I'd love to see a full, longer game from you some day, perhaps long enough for me to really endear to and get to know the characters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SmokedPaprika's post:
  • Hukon
(08-10-2016, 07:39 PM)Hukon Wrote:
Hi! look you have a list of pokemon available for this game? If not can you tell me if you have this pokemon in the game to catch:

Mudkip - Flabebe or Sylveon - Nosepass - Spiritomb - Shroomish - Skarmory or Larvesta or Fletching
(12-02-2016, 10:33 AM)JC87 Wrote: Hi! look you have a list of pokemon available for this game? If not can you tell me if you have this pokemon in the game to catch:
Mudkip - Flabebe or Sylveon - Nosepass - Spiritomb - Shroomish - Skarmory or Larvesta or Fletching

None of those Pokémon are in the game, sorry.
Looks awesome!! I will downlaod it soon!!