Screenshot Showcase - Map Showcase - Project Sandbox
Progressing Projects - Project Showcase

Tutorial How Tilesets work with Essentials
Hey everyone, I just noticed there actually isn't a tutorial for tileset basics on Relic! So guess what today's topic is... Wink
I don't know why I'm winking, you probably read the title of the thread. Anyway, for the sake of space, I'm gonna skip the vocabulary lesson and start off this thread with a link to the Essentials Wiki Page on Tilesets. Please take a moment to read at least that top section there, and then I'll get started.

Phew! That's all I've got right now, please let me know if I missed anything important!
[-] The following 7 users Like Aki's post:
  • Capptier, Dawn Bronze, Dragonite, Epic, Fontbane, Kiedisticelixer, SpartaLazor
Looks good overall! Only two small things that might be trivial.

-When talking about resizing the tiles, you didn't mention that the needs to be no interpolation. Whenever I try to scale up or down with interpolation, the tiles come out blurry. I only really use GIMP, so I don't know whether or not that would apply to other programs, though.

-This one might just be me... but none of the images seems to be working...
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. But that lemonade will taste like crap because life doesn't give you the sugar and the water.
[-] The following 2 users Like SpartaLazor's post:
  • Aki, Fontbane
(07-21-2016, 06:30 PM)SpartaLazor Wrote: Looks good overall! Only two small things that might be trivial.

-When talking about resizing the tiles, you didn't mention that the needs to be no interpolation. Whenever I try to scale up or down with interpolation, the tiles come out blurry. I only really use GIMP, so I don't know whether or not that would apply to other programs, though.

If resizing with Photoshop, under Interpolation choose Nearest Neighbor. All the other choices will come out blurry.

[-] The following 1 user Likes mej71's post:
  • Aki
I changed this bit based on what @SpartaLazor and @mej71 brought up.

Quote:When you're changing the size of your graphics there is a way to do it wrong. Most programs want to smooth out your images as you resize them, but this will ruin pixel art. Here are the settings that will keep your pixels crisp:
  • GIMP= Set the Interpolation to none, and resize by percentages of 200% or 50%.
  • Photoshop= Set the Interpolation to Nearest Neighbor.

If anyone else knows settings for other programs like Paint or Sai, please let me know and I will add that in as well! As allways I want to know anything I missed.  Pleased
[Image: u8xRtYU.gif]  [Image: 7hJzmPy.png]  [Image: LiQTRi1.gif]
↓ Sometimes I try writing tutorials ↓
Animating Sprites, Requests, Tilesets, Aesthetics
What Does my Game Need?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Aki's post:
  • Kiedisticelixer
(07-26-2016, 12:58 PM)Aki Wrote: I changed this bit based on what @SpartaLazor and @mej71 brought up.

Quote:When you're changing the size of your graphics there is a way to do it wrong. Most programs want to smooth out your images as you resize them, but this will ruin pixel art. Here are the settings that will keep your pixels crisp:
  • GIMP= Set the Interpolation to none, and resize by percentages of 200% or 50%.
  • Photoshop= Set the Interpolation to Nearest Neighbor.

If anyone else knows settings for other programs like Paint or Sai, please let me know and I will add that in as well! As allways I want to know anything I missed.  Pleased

With Paint, you've got to select all and then resize for it to not get blurry. Then drag the image borders to the correct size.
My Twitter
Also known as raspinen on other platforms
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raspberry's post:
  • Aki
I almost always use https://pixlr.com/editor/ when editing something pixel-related, but you can't resize sprites with it Sad it gets all blurry and stuff.